Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help identify my Stetson

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I purchased this on eBay a while back (see link). Love the hat. Lightweight, very thin, papery felt. Crisp. Thin edge banding. Cool taupe color (although on paper tag inside band it refers to it as "NUT" - probably more appropriate for me). Anyway, inside it is stamped Royal Stetson but that's not a reference to a style or model is it? On the hidden paper tag there is typed; "STREAMLN". Is there a Streamline or Streamliner model? I've never run across that designation before. Your thoughts folks?... Thx!
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/STREAMLIN/

carldelo

One Too Many
Love that

I can't help with any info, but I love that hat, it really speaks to me, the color, the crease, the brim edge ribbon, everything. Plus the initials in the sweatband are "GJ" so I guess you wound up with George Jetson's old Stetson. Lucky dog...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Nice looking hat.

It has a black sweatband so at the very least it's post-1950s. I'd bet it's 1970s or 1980s from the hat pin and liner. But the shape is very nice for being a newer hat, looks 1940s style.

Cheers

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Curious isn't it!?

Thanks for the compliments folks. That's interesting info about the black sweatband. The pin is my addition - not stock to that hat so who knows? The proportions seem like it could be from any era, but the slim hat band might be a date clue. Keep the info coming, I really appreciate it. This is one of my favorites.

Ande1964

Practically Family
That's kinda what I was thinking... it doesn't seem old enough to look that good! I'm far from an expert, but it has a classic Stetson Playboy kind of vibe.

Anj

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
...Eye of the beholder (and camera)

Ande1964 said:
That's kinda what I was thinking... it doesn't seem old enough to look that good! I'm far from an expert, but it has a classic Stetson Playboy kind of vibe.

Anj

Yeah, it's a little bit of a puzzle. The photos, however, do tend to really clean it up more than in life. It has two moth nips behind bow low on crown and the grosgrain band is worn. Also minor stain spots that don't show much. The logo in top of crown is deteriorated and has transferred a blurry imprint of itself onto the clear plastic covering. The satin liner was spotted/stained (looked like rust spots!?!?) so I removed it and carefully soaked all but the top (where logo is) in OxyClean solution. Let me tell you that stuff actually works as advertised! But the thing is; this could all be evidence of a hat that is not really that old but one that someone just wore alot. I have hats that I bought new only 10 or 12 years ago and by wearing them frequently in the Florida heat they look like they've been around the world. And then I have some of the Borsalinos from Sophia, Bulgaria WWII Europe vintage that have been essentially kept new all these years and look it. Go figure.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
My guess is...

I think this is a '70s, possibly late '60s lid. The liner's design and use of glue rather than stitches points in that direction, as do the black sweat and the tag typography. The "Stetson" pin could have been added later, but the ones I've had were on '70s and early '80s hats. All that said, this is one of the nicer designs I've seen from that era.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Then Playboy It Is!

Thanks folks for all the insight. Seems the unanimous opinion is "Playboy". Which is kinda' funny 'cuz I've been thinking I wanted to add a Playboy to my stack-o-hats and here I had one all the time! I really should've taken that pin off before shooting the pix - you people have good eyes - I added that myself from a different hat. Again, thank you for figuring this out for me. Great education.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ