Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me with info on thrift story find...Dunlap "Crestwick"

addison

One of the Regulars
Ok, so my visit to the thrift store let me to a Dunlap hat.
It came with a Dobbs box, and in the box was a tag that identifies the hat as a Crestwick model in Solar Blue. It is a size 7 1/8, which is a dilemma for me because I'm a size 7 3/8...here are pics:

Dunlap%20left%20side%20with%20string.jpg

Dunlap%20front.jpg

Dunlap%20top.jpg

Dunlap%20right%20side.jpg

Dunlap%20inside.jpg

Dunlap%20logo.jpg

Dunlap%20KASHMIR.jpg
Dunlap%20dealer%20mark.jpg

Dunlap%20size%20tag.jpg
9cf76a8d-1a5d-4217-a313-af28e0bd83b2.jpg
3914fa90-9554-44d5-854c-b2df786a0ca2.jpg

This hat is in SWEET condition...basically new as far as i can tell. I really love this color and I have nothing in blue right now. I really love everything about this hat except its' size. I bought it so cheap that I'm embarrassed to tell you.

Can anyone tell me more about this hat?
I'm a total newb. Can anyone tell me if these are good hats and how old it might be?
Any comments as to its value?
What on earth is the string on it? Is this something that the dealer used when it was displayed or something?

As I mentioned above, my hat size is 1/4" bigger, do I dare try to stretch it to make it fit me or is it better that I just find a new home for it?

Any help is appreciated!

God bless you!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
looks to be 60s or later
the "string" is a wind trolley
I don't believe there is any significant value there ... but if you dig it there is value
truth be told these style hats are a dime a dozen
... and that would be a large stretch in my opinion

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That model name doesn't come up in my usual searches.

It is 1960s up to 1972, but a couple of things stand out. First, that price tag is fascinating, as we haven't seen one of those before, especially from this time period. Second, the price is dirt cheap for a hat of that period, which surprises me. I could see a Byron or Berg from HCA being that price, but Dunlap used to be treated as a middle-tier line for them. Either way, a couple of good pieces of information.

Moon's right, two sizes up is too big of a stretch.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor.

addison

One of the Regulars
That model name doesn't come up in my usual searches.

It is 1960s up to 1972, but a couple of things stand out. First, that price tag is fascinating, as we haven't seen one of those before, especially from this time period. Second, the price is dirt cheap for a hat of that period, which surprises me. I could see a Byron or Berg from HCA being that price, but Dunlap used to be treated as a middle-tier line for them. Either way, a couple of good pieces of information.

Moon's right, two sizes up is too big of a stretch.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor.

Thanks Brad...so what would be a fair price to ask for it on eBay?

I'm not going to wreck the hat by trying to make it fit my fat head.

addison

One of the Regulars
I've seen hats like this fetch $60 to $80
I've also seen them sit and get relisted countless times at price drops

it's a crapshoot

Thanks...I could take $30 and still be making money, so it's fine. It's just too bad it doesn't fit, I'd love to just keep it.
I could not walk away from it at the thrift store, lol.
One of those things.

Milpro

New in Town
I think I'm looking at this hat on eBay right now lol. It is a beauty, and in my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points