Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me with sizing/measurements

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I am mulling over an idea of a new custom 3/4 length car coat or blazer-style in a thin horsehide.
P1050970.JPG
One that looks something like this

My measurements are...

chest circumference: 45 inches (46 inches right after work out)
the shortest distance between my shoulder seams: 19.25 inches
a distance between my shoulder seam if the tape is draped a bit: 20 inches
sleeve length (up to my wrist): 24.25 inches
back length: 29 inches

My good fitting CXL FQHH Aero Cafe Racer is...

size: 44
pit to pit: 24 inches
shoulder: 19.5 inches

Things to consider...
1) CXL FQHH & thin horsehide is definitely different in its thickness.
2) Cafe Racer & blazer has a different fit

Advice would be very much appreciated! =)

Peacoat

Bartender
What I think is you need to contact the manufacturer of the jacket you are contemplating buying. As you have probably figured out, the p2p on a thick HH shell that gives a good fit for your chest circumference will not be a good fit for a thinner shell. Hopefully you will be able to work with Carrie and Wade to get the fit jacket that eliminates most of the guesswork from the equation.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
What I think is you need to contact the manufacturer of the jacket you are contemplating buying. As you have probably figured out, the p2p on a thick HH shell that gives a good fit for your chest circumference will not be a good fit for a thinner shell. Hopefully you will be able to work with Carrie and Wade to get the fit jacket that eliminates most of the guesswork from the equation.

That is a good thinking. Thanks

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO, leather blazers never really look good in person (unless you are a mafioso) and then you'll never know because nobody will tell you to your face lol

sopstonyblb-cl-jkt1.jpg

What can look great that is kinda similar is a button up work coat style like this Himel or a similar style like the Aero 1920's Work Coat.

All my opinion, yours may vary.

9c65fe106205fe8a9f1fcd94db3da00c.jpg

Attachments

• 9c65fe106205fe8a9f1fcd94db3da00c.jpg
    9c65fe106205fe8a9f1fcd94db3da00c.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 183

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Not sure precisely what your question is. If it is what kind of leather to use for a longer style with buttons then my view 2.5 oz is ideal for a leather coat. If it looks too much like a conventional blazer I agree with Prote, nope. But if the jacket is a bit more interesting in design, more 1950's and less 1990's they are pretty cool.

Thin horsehide as you call it isn't actually thin, it is lighter weight, generally 2.5 oz, so very robust compared to a fashion leather, generally around 1.4oz.

Usually pit to pit is the same in any design that fits you. However if your cafe racer is a fashionably trimer fit then an extra inch may be useful in a coat style jacket so you can wear something underneath and for better drape. Shoulder width doesn't need to change. I would not use body measurements to size a jacket. Use a jacket that fits. I have 26 inch sleeves in every style of jacket I own, from tweed to a cafe racer.

But yes, I would contact the makers and see what they recommend, always a good option.

Last edited:

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
IMO, leather blazers never really look good in person (unless you are a mafioso) and then you'll never know because nobody will tell you to your face lol

sopstonyblb-cl-jkt1.jpg

What can look great that is kinda similar is a button up work coat style like this Himel or a similar style like the Aero 1920's Work Coat.

All my opinion, yours may vary.

View attachment 105153

Well... life is a challenge!

I'll post some pics when the jacket arrives. Hope it turns out well...

Thanks!

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Not sure precisely what your question is. If it is what kind of leather to use for a longer style with buttons then my view 2.5 oz is ideal for a leather coat. If it looks too much like a conventional blazer I agree with Prote, nope. But if the jacket is a bit more interesting in design, more 1950's and less 1990's they are pretty cool.

Thin horsehide as you call it isn't actually thin, it is lighter weight, generally 2.5 oz, so very robust compared to a fashion leather, generally around 1.4oz.

Usually pit to pit is the same in any design that fits you. However if your cafe racer is a fashionably trimer fit then an extra inch may be useful in a coat style jacket so you can wear something underneath and for better drape. Shoulder width doesn't need to change. I would not use body measurements to size a jacket. Use a jacket that fits. I have 26 inch sleeves in every style of jacket I own, from tweed to a cafe racer.

But yes, I would contact the makers and see what they recommend, always a good option.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I really appreciate it.

Hope my jacket meets the expectations that I have.

Wish me a luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points