Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleated Ties

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

And so they did ... for a few years, at least.

Pleated neckties were born around 1950. Known (along with pin-up ties) as "exotics", their heyday was in the mid-'50s. By the early '60s, however, Dame Fashion was smiling on ties too narrow to hold pleats. And that, as they say, was that.

Never a big hit, vintage pleated ties are somewhat difficult to find today.

Below is an early example in woven rayon from about 1950. Note that it has six pleats:

pleats003.jpg

pleats001.jpg

And here is another, a brocade, from about 1953. Slightly narrower than its earlier cousin, it has only four pleats:

pleats005.jpg

pleats004.jpg

I seriously thought about buying a few of these a couple of days ago (Scotrace - in the store i told you about). They were in my pile of ties - buck a piece.

I just couldn't do it to myself. Horrid things. A terrible style that rightly died a death. Give me 30s - with moth holes & sweat stains - any day of the week.

bk :kick:

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
What do folks think of pleated ties? I have a blue one that's got three horizontal pleats with visible stitching about 3/4 of the way to the top of the tie. I haven't worn it yet, but I like it. I found this pink one on eBay, going for way too much ($50 Buy it Now), but I like this a great deal:

pinktie.jpg

What do others think?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Wow...never seen that before! That one looks very streamline / moderne. Not a fan of the color, but in the right fabric and shade, it would be a killer look...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I have seen and owned a few fifties ones. Very cool, but only good with a fifties outfit for me. I assumed they were not done in the 40s. But then I found one that was wider and more late 40s. I will dig it out and post a pic.

I remember about fifteen years ago reading an article about some guy who was making them, and the article said it had nver been done before. Then I found a few vintage ones. Don't believe everything you read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ