1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Pleated Ties

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Marc Chevalier, Mar 22, 2006.

1. .

And so they did ... for a few years, at least.

Pleated neckties were born around 1950. Known (along with pin-up ties) as "exotics", their heyday was in the mid-'50s. By the early '60s, however, Dame Fashion was smiling on ties too narrow to hold pleats. And that, as they say, was that.

Never a big hit, vintage pleated ties are somewhat difficult to find today.

Below is an early example in woven rayon from about 1950. Note that it has six pleats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is another, a brocade, from about 1953. Slightly narrower than its earlier cousin, it has only four pleats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Hey now, that's a cool look!

I've never seen it before. Looks like multiple ties upon ties. :) Hope it makes a comeback somehow.

3. Nathan Flowers

Nathan Flowers Head Bartender Staff Member

My dad has one that is definitely 50's, but it's really ugly.

4. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

Even though they're from the 50s they really have something of art deco about them. I don't think I've ever seen a tie like that before. Interesting post.

5. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

That first one is absolutely beautiful.

6. Mycroft

Mycroft One Too Many

Cool, but they make me nauseous with the repeating pattern aound and around.

7. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

the tiered 'fan' effect is very deco , though personally i find them too fussy.

8. Mojave Jack

Mojave Jack One Too Many

How in the world...

..do you tie those things?! Do they tie just like a regular tie?

9. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Never thought of that.

Maybe they came in a clip on version? :rolleyes:

10. Yes, they do. And the secret is ... not all of the tie is pleated. Above a certain point, it's smooth. You tie the knot with the smooth part. The knot should form just above where the pleats stop. See below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. I seriously thought about buying a few of these a couple of days ago (Scotrace - in the store i told you about). They were in my pile of ties - buck a piece.

I just couldn't do it to myself. Horrid things. A terrible style that rightly died a death. Give me 30s - with moth holes & sweat stains - any day of the week.

bk :kick:

12. Zach R.

Zach R. Practically Family

Any chance they are still there?

13. adamgottschalk

adamgottschalk A-List Customer

What do folks think of pleated ties? I have a blue one that's got three horizontal pleats with visible stitching about 3/4 of the way to the top of the tie. I haven't worn it yet, but I like it. I found this pink one on eBay, going for way too much ($50 Buy it Now), but I like this a great deal:

[​IMG]

What do others think?

14. The Wingnut

The Wingnut One Too Many

Wow...never seen that before! That one looks very streamline / moderne. Not a fan of the color, but in the right fabric and shade, it would be a killer look...

15. I have two hanging around here some place. They are interesting ties. I wear them on occassion.

Regards,

J

16. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

Art deco comes to mind.

17. reetpleat

reetpleat Call Me a Cab

I have seen and owned a few fifties ones. Very cool, but only good with a fifties outfit for me. I assumed they were not done in the 40s. But then I found one that was wider and more late 40s. I will dig it out and post a pic.

I remember about fifteen years ago reading an article about some guy who was making them, and the article said it had nver been done before. Then I found a few vintage ones. Don't believe everything you read.

18. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I would wear it!

19. By now, everything has been done before. :p

20. melankomas

melankomas One of the Regulars

i rather like pleated ties, actually. i haven't any, but i do admire them. i've seen a few that were, to be kind, disastrous, but they can be quite nice.