Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pockets: deep experiences

The Don

New in Town
I’ve started a custom order through Carrie @ Thurston Bros and find myself deep in the pocket debate, between myself and the posts I could find that talk pockets.

Surprisingly there are a lot of mentions of pockets and the love/hate for them, but not many pure experiences with them.

I’d love to hear what y’all have to share about your experiences with pockets.
Ever lay down your jacket to have something slide out of an inside pocket and fall to the floor when you picked up the jacket?
Did you discover one pocket just drops everything?
Are your pockets storing the most important things in your life?
Do you no longer need a Go Bag because everything is already in your pockets?
What about pocket sizes, any that became more or less useful?
Have the zippers from your inside pockets made an imprint on the outside of your jacket?

Photo illustrations would really tie the thread together.

I find that I usually use pockets when traveling. Most of my jackets have zippered pockets, so I’ll empty my pants pockets into the jacket and (since I’m paranoid) zip up before running it through the x-ray. Or, I’ll just carry the items I want handy during a flight in the jacket.

Thanks for sharing!
Don

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I carry my keys, wallet and my phone in my pants front pockets. Most secure imo. I often put my hands in my pocket to check if they're still there. It's a habit.

My passport goes into my shirt chest pocket. Also very secure imo.

Things that go into my jacket pockets are less important, things I can afford to lose. Because it can happen. The important stuff I want to be able to feel them with my skin at all times...

The Don

New in Town
I keep my wallet in the front pocket also and do the random wallet pat on my pants pocket, just to be sure.
Side note, Saddleback Leather minimal front pocket wallet is awesome.

zebedee

One Too Many
I don't order Aeros with inner pockets any more, but that's just for the line of the jackets.

I have a Highwayman with the best inner pockets ever - cotton drill lined, snap closure, can fit an iPad mini in without showing on the outside. They absolutely nailed the pockets, but it's never been repeated.

LHB patch cargo pockets are useful, still allow for hand warmer use even when quite full.

Maxwell chest pocket is open - really good for phone, sunglasses, etc.

Café Racer zip pockets are really secure, obviously. I have no experience with a 2-pocket version, but I would find that useless.

I have inner pockets on a goat 1950s HB - they're fine, but not deep enough. Still quite functional. I'm weird with pockets - I don't like using trouser pockets that much (phone, wallet, keys, travel documents, etc.), so inner pockets are great when I get them right. Mostly though, as I have the HWMN for travel, I can order jackets without them. They do press through the leather, but, by the time they do, I don't care because the jacket is charmingly bashed to hell.

J.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The pockets on my jackets are actually just for decoration, because I have everything in my pants pockets. On the front left the smartphone, on the right cards and small change, in the coinpocket my keys. In the back left paper handkerchiefs and small stuff, receipts etc.. In the back right I always had my mask.
Aero jackets I always have without inner pockets, because that is also their recommendation.
If I have more with me, then I have my sling bags with Macbook etc. anyway.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I always order custom Aeros with a larger chest pocket deep enough to hold my phone - the default is too small to be useful. I never use handwarmers - and increasingly find them an annoyance if they cannot be zipped - not a fan of the flaring that often happens with them and the position often makes them impractical anyway.

I omit inside pockets on custom Aeros too - too clunky in most cases and ruins the line, as others have said. It is a mystery why they persist with the bulky heavy welting (made worse with snaps) with those - I have other brands that do inside pockets much better, such as Thedi and Lewis (both make secure and essentially invisible slim zipped pockets).

Overall, I tend to keep most things in my trousers and/or a bag of some kind - the chest pocket or D pocket gets used occasionally for the phone in my jackets, otherwise they are largely unused.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I have been unfortunate enough to get all my favorite denim so far with front pockets that are too small to carry anything apart from keys. Can't even put my hands in them. Heavy denim + stupid pocket design.
Hopefully the next pair I'm planning on purchasing has better pockets.

Would never put my phone in the back pocket because that takes squatting or even sitting out of the question - afraid to break/bend the phone. Reluctant to put my wallet there too - even though it's small I still don't fancy bending around the cards that are there.

I wear my pike brothers vest with 3 front pockets quite often, usually that's where the phone and wallet go.

Otherwise I use the two inner pockets of my currently only jacket for the phone and wallet. The chest pocket for keys sometimes - super easy access.

Fingers crossed that the jacket I ordered recently comes with good inner pockets, otherwise I'm partially screwed, at least in terms of carrying the phone.

To be honest the inner pockets (not only the openings) of my 5* are so thick (heavy cotton drill) that they are very noticeable (more in terms of feel but visually also) on the front of jacket. I'm pretty sure the jacket would be a lot more sleek/clean without the inner pockets. But that's the price you have to pay for convenience and durability.

Side note:
Was looking for a phone cover fitting for a leather enthusiast when got my new phone.
Best thing I found : https://dbrand.com/shop/special-edition/leather
Naked cowhide, fully aniline. Patina monster. Highly recommended.
Here's how mine looks after about 1 year.
1683094428702.png

1683094438764.png

1683094451369.png

mumpy

A-List Customer
I have been unfortunate enough to get all my favorite denim so far with front pockets that are too small to carry anything apart from keys. Can't even put my hands in them. Heavy denim + stupid pocket design.
Hopefully the next pair I'm planning on purchasing has better pockets.

Would never put my phone in the back pocket because that takes squatting or even sitting out of the question - afraid to break/bend the phone. Reluctant to put my wallet there too - even though it's small I still don't fancy bending around the cards that are there.

I wear my pike brothers vest with 3 front pockets quite often, usually that's where the phone and wallet go.

Otherwise I use the two inner pockets of my currently only jacket for the phone and wallet. The chest pocket for keys sometimes - super easy access.

Fingers crossed that the jacket I ordered recently comes with good inner pockets, otherwise I'm partially screwed, at least in terms of carrying the phone.

To be honest the inner pockets (not only the openings) of my 5* are so thick (heavy cotton drill) that they are very noticeable (more in terms of feel but visually also) on the front of jacket. I'm pretty sure the jacket would be a lot more sleek/clean without the inner pockets. But that's the price you have to pay for convenience and durability.

Side note:
Was looking for a phone cover fitting for a leather enthusiast when got my new phone.
Best thing I found : https://dbrand.com/shop/special-edition/leather
Naked cowhide, fully aniline. Patina monster. Highly recommended.
Here's how mine looks after about 1 year.
View attachment 513845

View attachment 513846

View attachment 513847
I have the same issue with pockets being unusable on some of my pairs. I've found that brands like Mister Freedom, Warehouse & CO and Orslow have very good and usable pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112