Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Fedoras or Homburgs?

Fedora's or Homburg's?

• Fedora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Homburg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My signature hat right now is my St. Regis, so I voted for homburg. This may change when I find a good fedora.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Nope. I am not sure where you got that idea, maybe someone else said they did in the same thread.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I voted fedora because the hat my friends most know me by is a grey fedora, since it's the hat I wear almost all the time. However, I received a vintage black homburg yesterday which I intend to use for black tie and for a stroller (once I assemble one).

Personally I think that fedoras and homburgs are two different creatures. They vary in formality and therefore have different uses. The fedora works for casual and informal clothing (meaning a suit). The homburg works for informal and semi-formal clothing (black tie or stroller). This poll is therefore almost like asking "dinner jackets or lounge suits", which is a fair question but we need to remember that they serve different purposes.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Yeps said:
Nope. I am not sure where you got that idea, maybe someone else said they did in the same thread.
Oh on my first thread called: What do you think of my stetson's? you and not-bogart both said you had a similar St. Regis and I asked you to post some pictures and he said "Well, I sold a St. Regis for over $100, and I've seen vintage Stetson fedoras crawl to $200 or so, depending on model and size. There is a reason I don't own a vintage Whippet - in my size they can go for quite a high price!" Thought you were him because I only took a quick look back at the thread. :p

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Fedora was a no-brainer for me. While I love homburgs, I have trouble making them work - very few look good on me. That, and I own over a dozen fedoras, but only two homburgs! lol

The Good

Call Me a Cab
KY_RudeBoy said:
I had to vote fedora as I don't own a homburg...yet. :)

Same here, although I'd love to own a homburg or two someday. Perhaps even a bowler and top hat into the collection as well. I can definitely see myself wearing a homburg with a suit, to church, and to weddings.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Fedoras for me :D I like fedoras and they look good on me. For some reason homburgs just don't look good on me. They don't suit me very well :( It must be my long face :eusa_doh: C'est la vie !

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have a very round face. And homburgs look very unflattering on me. Just terrible. I only have one, which serves as my dressy hat. I just cannot pull it off. I suppose it only favors the medium features? [huh]

Cheers,

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
Fedoras for me. I think a Homburg is suitable to only a select few with the right face shape. In my opinion, a Homburg tends to look a bit too dressy for everyday or casual look. Regardless of the shape of your head or face, anyone can pick the right brim width and crown height of a fedora and pinch it and bash it to his/her satisfaction. Did you ever notice, no two pre-owned fedoras look exactly alike? Thats because the previous owner added his own personnal touch to it. I do the same thing as soon as I get my hands on a new hat. You can't do a whole lot to a Homburg or else its not a Homburg anymore.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
I have 40+ fedoras and one homburg. I wear the homburg one night each year with a tux...which is already too hot for Florida!

'Nuff said.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
S. Beagles said:
Fedoras for me. I think a Homburg is suitable to only a select few with the right face shape. In my opinion, a Homburg tends to look a bit too dressy for everyday or casual look. Regardless of the shape of your head or face, anyone can pick the right brim width and crown height of a fedora and pinch it and bash it to his/her satisfaction. Did you ever notice, no two pre-owned fedoras look exactly alike? Thats because the previous owner added his own personnal touch to it. I do the same thing as soon as I get my hands on a new hat. You can't do a whole lot to a Homburg or else its not a Homburg anymore.
Actually Homburgs were ment to be more casual because people wanted something fancy and rich but also casual so the brim of a bowler or top hat + the crown of a fedora and bang the perfect dressy casual hat. :cool2:

StetsonHomburg said:
Actually Homburgs were ment to be more casual because people wanted something fancy and rich but also casual so the brim of a bowler or top hat + the crown of a fedora and bang the perfect dressy casual hat. :cool2:

I agree about the more casual approach but it was based on a german hunting hat worn but Wilhelm II (Edward's nephew). They had very tall tapered crowns and were gray. The more stiff / binded brims with no taper came later (also black ones). I know at the time Edward caused quite a stir because of the casual nature of the hat.

From the Homburg thread.

Here he is wearing a early Homburg.

edwardVII.jpg

Here he is wearing hunting Homburg.

edward.jpg

This could be a Möckel of Bad Homburg (more Fedora like) or at least one from the time of Edward and Wilhelm II. Wish I could find one of these. :)

2e5d3972343a7805bdd82790c86059bc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ