Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll - Powder Blue Leisure Suit

I think this suit:

• Stinks like onions

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Is a bit nutty but not offensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Has definite possibilities

• Has me completey rethinking the limitations of my wardrobe

• Total voters
Feraud took this pic of me at Starstruck, a vintage shop here in NY. We have it posted in the Steamer Trunk, but I thought with the interest shown in the Lime Green Trousers thread, I'd run it again here in suits.

I have to admit, having grown up in the 70s, I never liked the leisure suit, but perhaps it was the haircuts, moustache, gold chains, Quiana shirts, etc., that just made them look bad.

This suit wasn't polyester; I think it was wool, but I'm unsure. Very light. Check out the armholes, though. They're tucked right up to the armpit. As I stated in the other thread, I had a knit shirt on that day, so the jacket looks a bit lumpy.

So, anyone else up for the challenge?

DSC01127.jpg

slicedbread

A-List Customer
well, i don't like the shape of the bottom of the coat, but I'll admit that I like the rest of it a lot actually...

Of course, it's my opinion that men need to inject more color into their wardrobes...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Senator Jack said:
I have to admit, having grown up in the 70s, I never liked the leisure suit
Ditto. While it doesn't look bad on you and though I'm not a hater per se I won't be donning one anytime soon. [huh]

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that suit has gotten Senator Jack written all over it. I don't think many would be able to pull it off well however- you look marvelous

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
slicedbread said:
well, i don't like the shape of the bottom of the coat, but I'll admit that I like the rest of it a lot actually...

Of course, it's my opinion that men need to inject more color into their wardrobes...

While this would qualify as a lasure suit, I would also call it a safari suit. This style has a certain rugged masculinity. I think there was a certain manly tone to the seventies that was kind of cool. Think of certain movies and actors or cigarette ads.

This looks like something charleton Heston might wear.

Actually too bad it isn't green or you could have that Quadafi thing going.

I like it.

Marty M.

Vendor
But where are the two sisters Polly and Ester?

Senator Jack, that suit looks good on you. You're showing a lot of attitude with it. I hope that you bought it. I use to sell a Johnny Carson vested polyester version of that back in the '70's. But the vest reversed to a yellow plaid :eek:
Marty Mathis

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll be honest and say that if someone told me a leisure suit like that could ever look cool to even the least extent, I'd laugh them off.

So why does the Senator still look so cool?

I'm calling it the Douglas/Senator Jack syndrome. Whether it's a Montecristi or a cheap straw knock-off, any hat that sits on Douglas' head immediately looks great. The same clearly goes for suits once Senator Jack's got 'em on, even if they're from the 1970s.

Kids, he's the sartorial equivalent of Evel Kneivel. Only someone daring and special can get away with this. Don't try this at home! lol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The color is totally wrong,...a sort of robin's egg blue. Just too uber-seventies in a Village People-esque sort of way. :eek: :rolleyes:
But the styling is sort of quasi-military/safari. So if it were made in the right color and material,(NO polyester!) I would wear the jacket at least.
It depends on who wears it also,...someone like Bryan Ferry, (or Senator Jack, as pictured) could pull it off without a hitch, in almost any color. :)

Can you believe they want $185 for this rig-out? For $25 I might have taken the chance - wear it out once and see if it gets cheers or jeers - but that's a lot of jack for an experimental suit.

They had a nearly identical one in houndstooth. The jacket was cool as a separate - a Cary Grant style in way - but when I put the trousers on...:eek: Now that was a nutty look.

I think finding a shirt to wear with this suit would be the most difficult. Solid button-downs would be out, but perhaps a pullover sweater?

I'm reminded here of the author Anthony Burgess. When The Beatles were around, he hated them so much he wrote a book in which the poet Enderby shoots a rock and roll star named Yod Crewley (a character based on John Lennon - talk about foreshadowing!). Burgess then writes in his autobiography that after hearing their songs over the next twenty years, he might have been a little harsh on them. I'm starting to feel the same about these suits. I didn't give them a fair shake when they were around. It's just too bad so many of them were polyester.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Rooster

Practically Family
I had one of those made by Levis back in 1977. It was powder blue too.I thought it was pretty cool then. Mine had the big old bell bottoms to go with the coat . Are those trou bell bottomed too?
I wear some stuff that's pretty close to the edge, so I'm certainly not the one to make a judgement call.;)

Feraud

Bartender
I voted the definite possibilites option.

With the exclusion of polyester as a material and with color options I see very little wrong with this outfit. What is the difference between matching pants and a jacket for business or for leisure? There are no major style flaws on this outfit. I would add a pocket or two but that is a personal preference.

Senator Jack summed up the usual complaint of the era when he noted -
I never liked the leisure suit, but perhaps it was the haircuts, moustache, gold chains, Quiana shirts, etc., that just made them look bad.

We sometimes judge an entire decade by the sum of its parts when the individual components can look quite good.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Don't like the color, but I like the style. 's got that whole Barry Newman,Vanishing Point kinda vibe.
In linen or cotton, in a natural or khaki, maybe even light brown---???
Looks sort of Roger Moore-ish.....

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Doesn't look like the leisure suits I remember, kinda of a "barber" styling. I actually had a a 3 piece denim suit back in the day! But never did go for the true leisure suit look.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, the leasure suit does have a good pedigree. Rooted in vintage era loungewear, and hunting and safari jackets.

the problem was fabric, which this suit avoids, and cut sometimes.

What would be sweet is if this had pegged pants or tight with a flare. Then it would be a kind of cool late sixties mod kind of look. Think the stones or maybe the Jam as a bit of revival.

I could see it.

That style is back in, so maybe the good senator is onto something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ