Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Where do Fedora Loungers live?

What country are Loungers from?

• Africa

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Asia

• Australia

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Europe (Western)

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Europe (Eastern)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand

• South America

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • UK

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • USA

Votes: 97 66.0%
  • Canada

Votes: 6 4.1%

• Total voters

DerMann

Practically Family
There needs to be an option for 'Texas.'

Baron Kurtz said:
Western Europe. I don't see why UK gets its own category. We're just a part of western Europe.

bk

There has always been a distinction between Britain and the Continent. Cultures and what have you developed slightly different.

Representing Rural Small Town America. Live in Pardeeville Wisconsin.

I live right smack dab in the middle of downtown (which is about all of town haha) I live above the building with the Scoops Ice Cream Cone on it. (Now my dad's gun store and the sign is now a decoration next to my fridge, and the size of it)

cfiles43040.jpg

p51

One Too Many
Bah, I scoff at Pardeeville being "small."
I live in Washington state, about halfway between Seattle and Portland. The "downtown" we have is about a quarter of what I see in your photo...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Another one in Southern Ohio... *sigh* I doubt I'll ever feel like I fit in here.

Originally from South Gate, CA, got here by virtue of a woman whom I met in Korea in '86 and asked to marry me in '89 finally saying yes in 2003. :p She was living in what had been her grandparent's house so I joined her here when I retired. I've lived in multiple places around the world and did OK, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it here.

Oh, well... at least there's lots of room in the basement for hats! lol

Cheers,
Tom

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
G'day Mate!Struth ,i'm from Australia alright.
Crikey ava a go at this little beauty!!
Sorry, I'm a fair dinkum Barry Crocker!!lol lol
Couldn't help myself ,sorry:rolleyes:

MissHannah

One Too Many
The aussies are way out-numbering the Brits at the moment! I thought there were tons more of us than that on here :)

swinggal

One Too Many
Mrs Cleaver said:
G'day Mate!Struth ,i'm from Australia alright.
Crikey ava a go at this little beauty!!
Sorry, I'm a fair dinkum Barry Crocker!!lol lol
Couldn't help myself ,sorry:rolleyes:

Ha ha. That's funny. I reeeeally have to try hard to speak in a broad accent. I only do it as a piss-take...hehe. "Looka moiiiiii!!!" I mean I think I sound Australian but in LA most people thought I was english. I have to stop saying 'jumper' insted of 'sweater' when I'm in the US. People just laugh. But I did get my buddy Nathan using our slang by the time I left! He had added 'Mintox' and 'Wicked-sticks' to his vocab by the time I left....hee hee.

Matt Deckard tried to get an Aussie accent happening when I was in LA recently to try and stir me up - epic FAIL! He just sounded like an even MORE cockney Michael Caine :) it was very amusing. His Micheal Caine impression however, IS good. :)

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
lol Yes well i'm the opposite,i do have a definite "Aussie" accent if i don't watch myself.I was a total tomboy when i was younger & went on to work with cattle & horses so i was surrounded by 'ocker' folk constantly.My 2ic on one of the farms where i worked answered both yes & no to most questions eg:"Would you like a beer?" answer-"Yeah,nah,she'll be right mate":D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I have much of an Australian accent, even though I (and my brother) were born here and have lived here all our lives. Although foreigners (Brits, Yanks, etc) say that I do, when they hear my voice.

*shrug*

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
lol One of my personal grievances is when Aussies say 'Austraiya' :rolleyes: .I think that generally we as a nation are very lazy with our english,we are always shortening everything ie: servo,arvo,onya,cossie etc

swinggal

One Too Many
Mrs Cleaver said:
lol One of my personal grievances is when Aussies say 'Austraiya' :rolleyes: .I think that generally we as a nation are very lazy with our english,we are always shortening everything ie: servo,arvo,onya,cossie etc

I hate that too. I was always taught to pronounce things properly. I'm from the country originally and my dad is pretty ocker but mum isn't. Shortening things is a funny Aussie/British trait but doing that doesn't make you ocker. Depends how you say it ;) No cossies here in WA...we say bathers. That's another thing I love - Aussie regionalisms. Fascinates me!

Polony - Devon - Fritz
bathers - togs - cossies - swimmers
case - port
drinking fountain - bubbler
slingshot - shanghi - ging - gonk
telephone pole - stopie pole

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Yes ,i went to catholic schools & my mother was very particular with grammer & how we spoke so i am able to speak in a more 'refined' manner for want of a better word.
Oh yes i agree,just shortening things doesn't make you ocker,i wasn't really saying that .It's just that if i spoke like that when working within that industry i was thought to be a snob or putting on airs so i ended up slipping into a more relaxed way of talking ie:"How ya goin mate" "She'll be right,ey?"
On the other hand with alot of the older cockies i had to remember myself & speak nicely,they appreciated it.:)
Regionalisms are a funny thing.I don't say cossie either even though that's what i grew up with but after 20 + years in QLD i say togs.They use port in QLD too,when i first moved there i didn't know what a port was lol :)
Rhyming slang is also fun,my husband actually uses it & also says hooroo when saying goodbye.When my brother in law worked at Yale hs collegues would always ask him to put Jason on speaker phone so they could hear his accent lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points