Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pompadour Question

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this:

I am in dire need for help right now! I need a legit diagram for a classic mens pompadour (it can be a modern one) If not.. I need step by step instructions for how to cut one. I usually freehand my boyfriends cut and fix where ever it needs it... But now I need actual steps for it..

If any of you Barbers/Hairstylists could help, I would be forever greatful! <3

Chas

One Too Many
Check the Rockabilly sites; I'm pretty sure you can find a "how to" page somewhere.

I used to use a golf-ball sized dollop of pomade; work it in and comb in thoroughly. Some guys used to use hairspray as well.

Failing that, ask your local Rockabillies- there are lots of them in FLA.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Jezebel_Amazon said:
I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this:

I am in dire need for help right now! I need a legit diagram for a classic mens pompadour (it can be a modern one) If not.. I need step by step instructions for how to cut one. I usually freehand my boyfriends cut and fix where ever it needs it... But now I need actual steps for it..

If any of you Barbers/Hairstylists could help, I would be forever greatful! <3

I've always loved this one, but not everyone has this kind of hair!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
Check the Rockabilly sites; I'm pretty sure you can find a "how to" page somewhere.

I used to use a golf-ball sized dollop of pomade; work it in and comb in thoroughly. Some guys used to use hairspray as well.

Failing that, ask your local Rockabillies- there are lots of them in FLA.

I've searched endlessly... and sadly Rockabilly music in South Florida doesn't really exist. The guys I see at shows have long hair that's just slicked back, not pompadours.

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
I've always loved this one, but not everyone has this kind of hair!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you for this Mr.H. But i was searching more for an actual cutting guide not a styling guide. I need it to be pretty legit... It's for a project. I've cut many but I'm going more by eye than anything and I doubt it's the right way.

I usually cut the sides shorter than the top, scissor over comb the verry bottom to taper it. And the Top I cut into a wedge like shape. After that i cut the sides of the top to blend with the actual sides . Is this even right?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Try searching for instructions for cutting a "fade." A fade is a clipper cut where it's shorter at the back and sides while being longer on the top and in front. The severity of the fade is determined by the number (which refers to the size of the guard used on the clippers). The smaller the number, the shorter the hair.

Almost every guy I know who has "vintage" hair, whether it be a clean-cut 30's side part, or a big greasy pompadour, gets some variation of a classic fade.

Chas

One Too Many
Jezebel_Amazon said:
I've searched endlessly... and sadly Rockabilly music in South Florida doesn't really exist. The guys I see at shows have long hair that's just slicked back, not pompadours.

Wow. That's a surprise. I would have expected a more vibrant scene down your way. For a different thread, I should think.

TomS

One Too Many
Guttersnipe said:
Try searching for instructions for cutting a "fade." A fade is a clipper cut where it's shorter at the back and sides while being longer on the top and in front. The severity of the fade is determined by the number (which refers to the size of the guard used on the clippers). The smaller the number, the shorter the hair.

Almost every guy I know who has "vintage" hair, whether it be a clean-cut 30's side part, or a big greasy pompadour, gets some variation of a classic fade.

I think your right. The "temple fade" or "fade" (or variation of) seems to be the quintessential haircut of the 1940s.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy