Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portland, OR Loungers...HELP!

diverguy

New in Town
Those of you from the Portland, OR area...perhaps you can help.

I have to in your fair city for a 3 day conference at the end of January. While I've been to both malls, Omsi and will probably spend some good time at Powells, there may be a lot of staring at hotel walls. Not my idea of a good time.

Any suggestions? Recommendations? (now be nice...I'm sensitive)

old yazoo

Familiar Face
what to do in p-town?!

Ever been to Ray's Ragtime or Avalon? Both in central downtown.

My other recommendations require a car...but the Columbia River gorge is incredible, with all its waterfalls...

the Japanese garden, the Rose Garden (yes, roses bloom in January here!)

Sellwood (SE Portland) tons of antigue/vintage shops

Good live music - often free and it's everywhere. Just look in Willamette Week newspaper when you get here. I might be able to recommend something in particular when we get closer to late January.

diverguy

New in Town
The Gorge is fantastic and I've done the gardens but Avalon and Ragtime sound fun. I will be mobile but will be staying downtown.

Thanks for the thoughts...traveling is a booger...

zaika

One Too Many
i'm gonna plug my neighborhood...
Belmont/Hawthorne/Division areas have some cute shops, good eating places, interesting people, and beautiful homes. it's right across the river from downtown. i bum around there all the time...of course. ;) the Clinton Street Theatre shows the Rocky Horror Picture Show every Friday and Saturday night if that sounds interesting to you.
not sure if it's open in january, but the Chinese Gardens is right downtown.
right now this blog has december events listed...but closer to the time of your arrival, check it out for some ideas if you're interested in that sort of thing.
here's another link for events.

not much...but there ya go.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Depending on the dates, I might be able to recommend some good period music or other similar events - that's really my scene, the swing dancing community (though I wish they'd dress up) and the rockabilly kids (though I wish they'd GROW up!). My favorite boys The Stood Ups! are playing January 5th (at not one's favorite place, but oh well) and there's sometimes some very classy acts at Berbati's Pan, especially since the lindy hop crowd started bringin dancable music in.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
diverguy said:
Boy, you've got my number there! Any chance they allow cigars as well?

I think they do (you can smoke indoors until Jan 1, so sometimes its bar by bar) and Portland has some decent shops - Ricks Smoke shop on nw 23rd is a fave of mine.

If you like scotch and cigars try the basement of Kels as well. It is the oldest Irish Bar in town and the upstairs is always busy. But the hideaway cigar lounge downstairs is great. Really great scotch and whiskey list, best ive seen outside of nyc so far. Might want to consider bringing your own cigar they have pretty limited choices on that end. Again, that might sadly end on the 1st.

http://www.kellsirish.com/portland/

missmelly

One of the Regulars
Marlowe said:
go to the portland city grill for live piano, a good scotch list and a great night view of the city
http://www.portlandcitygrill.com/index.cfm

I work in the US Bancorp Tower and I agree that PCG's bar (and especially happy hour) is the best.
That or Huber's, the oldest restaurant in Portland that was also a speakeasy. Old Town Pizza and you can also do the Shanghai Tunnels tour.
I'd love to meet and out-of-town lounger.
.:Miss Melly:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider