Post Brexit import experiences

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Marc mndt, Jan 13, 2021.

1. nattevagten

nattevagten One of the Regulars

It's a pretty old (broken in, etc.) blue label jacket that needs repairing. Suppose I could write a low value on the parcel and hope Aero will do the same upon returning it to me?

2. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Thanks. Have you personally used either for a jacket?

3. Al 916

Al 916 One of the Regulars

MyHermes yes. and fine.
    All the options are on their site.

4. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

That will work. Just declare a value of €5. With a little luck you won't have to pay any fees.

nattevagten likes this.
  5. Tom71

Tom71 One Too Many

I am actually fighting DHL on overcharged fees (UK to EU) since June now. The issue itself is not even in dispute. They messed it up and now are playing hard to get.

I am quite sure they are gambling on me losing the nerve to pursue the matter all the way.
    I like them as a courier, and servicing import is usually flawless, but this one really angers me. Positive I will get there in the end though…

Edward, nattevagten and Marc mndt like this.
  6. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

I just looked, and unfortunately, MyHermes insurance limit is only £300. (At least from my address on the outskirts of London.) They're also a horrendous company from my past experience :confused:

Edit: As per your suggestion I also looked into using DPD. They charge nearly £50 to deliver an insured jacket across the UK, £20 more than Royal Mail, and £15 more than posting the stupid thing to the United States would cost.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  7. Al 916

Likely a good thing to remember that the value you declare will match any insurance claim

8. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Only if you can prove the value of the goods inside with receipts, of course.

9. Al 916

What I am suggesting is if you declare the value to be £5 and it goes astray you may not be able to rationalise a £500 insurance claim

Edward likes this.
  10. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Undoubtedly. That goes without saying. No one would pay for insurance if you could make a claim without it.

11. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Any updates from Aero? Do they still have the same policy regarding VAT in the EU? Any news from the "EU" website?
    There is a jacket on the sale pages I've been eyeing for ages but I'm not willing to pay 24% extra - let alone lose the 24% in case I have to send it back due to fit reasons.

nattevagten likes this.
  12. nattevagten

nattevagten One of the Regulars

I think you can ask for a tax refund from your local tax authorities if you send the jacket back. You should have this right as per the EU law. I'll try that soon - just received my Aero refund.

Harris HTM likes this.
  13. Justhandguns

Justhandguns Practically Family

FYI, I have been using these websites (1)(2) for postages comparisons (mainly local UK). You can choose between different carriers in there with plenty of options regarding insurances.

I think HM Revenue have changed the import custom/VAT limit recently. Check here. But of course, the £135 limit doesn't even cover the sleeve of our jackets.

14. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks like ebay has adapted their pricing for EU buyers when buying from a UK based seller. Apparently this jacket is listed for £450. However, as a EU based buyer a bin price of £375 is shown.

BC16B646-64A0-4CA0-AE4F-37A160820725.jpeg F7824750-2C96-4A2C-B272-1FAF28CB10D3.jpeg

Mandarin and Harris HTM like this.
  15. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

I wish Aero started doing the same soon.

Marc mndt likes this.
  16. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

My experience with Lewis Leathers:
    Item selected in the webshop, after specifying the EU address I got the VAT reduced price including shipping displayed.
    Shipping by DHL Express.
    Paid 200 EUR fees and customs VAT and all good.
    Transparent and simple. That's how it should be.

Marc mndt and Harris HTM like this.
  17. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Obviously. This happened when I ordered from Soldier of Fortune.
    Or let the EU taxes be prepaid and offer an EU price (the same or at least similar to the UK one). This happened when I ordered from Tricker's.

MrProper likes this.
  18. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

It requires them to register to pay tax in each European country. I guess they don't want the effort/cost involved. There's headaches beyond tax too, in terms of duty/fees. I can see why many companies want to wash their hands of the whole mess.

I assume Aero are knocking the UK VAT off for foreign customers, at least?

19. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

if you mean subtracting the British VAT, no they don't. A UK customer would pay 700pounds plus shipping for example. A EU customer will pay roughly (depending on the local VAT percentage) 1,25*(700+20)+10 pounds= 910pounds (20 is the postage, you pay VAT and import tax on both the product and postage price, and around 10 pounds are "handling" fees).

20. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Hmm: I wonder why they don't zero rate the goods like they can? To make accounting slightly simpler is the answer (I hope).