Post New Hats Here!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rundquist, May 4, 2004.

1. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bombetta Qualità Superiore. Size 7 US or 5 French. European 57 cm.
    [​IMG]
    The "bombetta" is a "Misto" felt of fur and wool.
    [​IMG]
    It is called "M Favaro" as you can see in the enclosed images of the inside of the hat. "Rizzo" is the type. Ribbon is "Nera"
    [​IMG]
    It is a slightly "heather" felt bowler, the first I saw in my life
    [​IMG]
    The size marked on the sweatband is 7, I, with some doubts, bought it thinking a 61 centimeters, but at the opening of the package this is the result
    [​IMG]
    The measurements are: crown is at 12 cm. curled brim at 5,5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm
    [​IMG]
    The felt, in a medium grey, is mixed with fur and wool with a “heather” look. It weight 161 grams
    [​IMG]
    It was sold in Milan
    My opinion on its age is it was made before the WWII
    [​IMG]
    I said this from the paper label with size written with fountain pen, lining and finishing
    Embossed golden stamps on the sweatband
    [​IMG]
    Size tag and the interior bow
    [​IMG]
    A lucky find for sure, but I wish it was more my size!

Dlaniger, hatsRme, moehawk and 12 others like this.
  2. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bellissimo! But you know Stefan I have a soft spot in my heart for furs and heather felts

3. steur

steur

Thanks, Daniele. We both do! Today was a good day for misto hats!

4. michael78

michael78 One of the Regulars

Hi Steve, i get where your coming from, but to clarify, the hat was made in the UK, probably Stockport.I forgot to post pic of sweatband with "made in England". i've had a close look at Date with a magnifying glass and its definitely a "3".
    DSCN6495.jpg

5. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Michael, Interesting! Can you please take a photo of the felt vents behind the sweatband? I am not sure when P. & C. Habig first started using felt vents but I don't believe I have encountered another company using them (until this one).

steur, Zombie_61 and Steve1857 like this.
  6. RomanImperator

RomanImperator One of the Regulars

Sage green 50s Playboy. Sweat in decent condition, drank a ton of Lexol. Liner appears to be taped in a some time ago and strangely enough there are no model/size tags behind the sweat. Just 2 red pieces of paper. Price tag: $10. Also pictured with an olive colored newer 50s Whippet. If anyone can add any info I'd apreciate it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. michael78

michael78 One of the Regulars

Hi Steve, i took some detailed pics for you of the vents!, what do you think?
    Cheers Mike
    DSCN6500.jpg
    DSCN6502.jpg

8. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Michael, Thanks. This is not the P. & C. Habig "Ventilo" felt vent system. There are similarities but definitely different.

9. busmatt

busmatt New in Town

I’m not “Grousing” but you wait ages for a hat to turn up and two come along together, I’ve been eyeing up a Grouse hat(well that’s what I’ve always known this style as) and I picked up this one on eBay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No maker, just Harris Tweed

[​IMG]

Anyway, I was passing a charity shop today and popped in, this beautiful hat was the princely sum of £1.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No maker again but for a quid it’s a bargain for me, I love these hats they’re just the job to chuck on an they’re foldable.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

10. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

This past weekend I received my new-to-me Collins & Fairbanks from our own @splintercellsz.

collins & fairbanks co_front_20181203_075024_400x470.jpg collins & fairbanks co_front_20181203_075103_400x461.jpg collins & fairbanks co_side_20181203_075021_400x482.jpg collins & fairbanks co_side_20181203_075147_400x447.jpg 20181203_084336_400x711.jpg 20181203_084326_400x711.jpg

The box was so light that at first I had wondered if he remembered to put the hat in it. :)

But that is just part of the character of this hat. Light as a feather, and felt that takes any shape you want to push or poke into it without any steam or moisture. You barely have to touch it.

You want a sharp crease? Bang. You want to take it out or change it with no trace? Again, bang. No problem. I've already had both a center dent and a diamond in it, and I keep alternating because both look so good in this hat.

Collins & Fairbanks Co. was an outfit that sold fine imported silk top hats, and designed and manufactured their own line of hats and also sold furs at 383 Washington St. in Boston, Massachusetts. I can find evidence of the company's existence from its opening in 1883 through at least 1928. They may have been in business after that, as well, but I have not seen proof yet.

This particular hat was made in France. It is remarkably similar to another recent acquisition of mine – a Lamson & Hubbard, from the same general period – the '20s or '30s. Both hats have the same overall look and feel, especially in the details – the look and feel of the sweat, in particular.

The colors are a medium gray with a black ribbon, and a sort of light olive edge binding, which really sets the whole thing off.

It has a 2/14" brim, and 6" of open crown to play with. Perfect dimensions for me.

This one will get frequent wear, as it pushes all the right buttons for me, including being perfectly sized, which, as we know, can be a bit of a crap shoot when buying hats without trying them on first.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  11. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Wow, that is one great looking hat that pushes a lot of plus buttons: age, company make, fit, colour, binding, ribbon size and bow. An extra plus must be the fact that you can shape it almost at will and have a new hat every time. That hat rocks, Scottyrocks.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

12. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

im so happy that you enjoy it! it looks so great on you, boss!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

13. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Hey Scotty:
    That’s an exquisite hat! That felt speaks and the pictures show that very well. Says tissue fingerfelt!
    Interesting in several ways, especially your comparison with the L&H. The French connection is neat too. Don’t know if L&H is French but it sounds like an interesting area to investigate.
    Beautiful hat. You wear it well!
    Bowen

Zombie_61, Desert dog and scottyrocks like this.
  14. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Scotty, It's really fantastic. Congrats!

15. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Steve, Justin, Bowen, and mayserSteve.

Yes, this hat is a special one. I had never heard of the name before, which makes it even more interesting.

@Steve1857 I have decided (for now) that I like the diamond better for this hat, as it that shape is so well defined. And every time I push one in, it looks different than the last time. So, yes, sort of like a new hat every time I put it on. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  16. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

What a beauty! I appreciate the information you have found about the hat. It makes it even more interesting. The felt looks so nice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

scottyrocks and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. What a hat! It almost looks as if it would deflate like a soufflé if you poked it. Don't take this wrong...but I would kinda like to poke it just to see. :D

18. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

Last time I said I wanted to poke something, I got in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

19. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

As long as you use a finger! :)

Zombie_61, BobHufford and Desert dog like this.
  20. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

1930s C&K

This baby is navy blue in color, which looks black depending on the lighting

The felt is ridiculously soft, and takes any dry crease with ease. I'm happy to add this to the collection[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Dlaniger, Steve1857, Tukwila and 16 others like this.