Post New Hats Here!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rundquist, May 4, 2004.

1. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

I like it Dale. I want to say those mixed number keyhole size tags are from a tight window something like very late 50s to very early 60s. Brent may be able to chime in on that.

dh66 and carouselvic like this.
  2. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Matt, Super! The "Seal" is a great finish. Wegener had great quality in this time period. When you have a chance can you please post the photos in the German / Austrian thread. Thanks!

3. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt Practically Family

Steve, your wish is my command
    - and I was so fast with it that I already
    posted the pictures on Sunday in the thread ;)

PanosChris and Blare like this.
  4. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt Practically Family

Another hat Panos discovered and I "secured" for him:
    Black "Colonia" (= Köln City) made of a lovely wool felt with back bow
    The size is a 54 (hope it fits you, Panos); brim 6.0 cm, crown 10.0 cm (dent)
    Certainly pre-war - I guess mid/late 30s - but that's just a guess, so please comment.
    On the brand I have found nothing so far exept:
    The paper label (the only one) is the same as on a J.A.Seidl on Steve's site...
    https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/244-hutfabrik-j-a-seidl-münchen/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. camjr

camjr Familiar Face

I had posted this in the Western Hat thread, but I picked up this American Hat Company 20x Straw over the weekend at Best Hat Store in the Fort Worth Stockyards. I needed a new summer straw.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20210517_084359.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  6. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Very nice hat Matt

camjr likes this.
  7. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

That’ll do for summer :)

camjr likes this.
  8. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I commented in the Lounge that the Optimos with a white liner I have bought on eBay are not as good as the ones with a yellow liner.
    I recently bought an Optimo white-lined heather-textured fedora and asked Graham Thompson for his opinion.
    This was his reply:
    Max I’m sorry I turned off notifications for WhatsApp and just saw this. This is a very early optimo.. maybe year 2… as our hats have improved drastically since then, the quality you’ll notice isn’t anywhere near what we make today.. but still the early pieces are very rare and collectible.
    Also the material and finishing will never be like our newer stuff.
    Our new silver belly’s are extraordinary. I’d recommended you get one of our blue Pearl lightweight belly fur hats in a full crown. They are amazing

steur, Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  9. Coming back home.

IMG_5404.JPG

Seventy-five yr old private club

IMG_5418.JPG

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"

steur, Blare, Bamaboots and 2 others like this.
  10. RomanImperator

RomanImperator One of the Regulars

Some very nice scores posted lately. If anyone is interested im getting rid of a few Stetsons including a Playboy, Strat and Whippet in the classifieds here:

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  11. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looking good.

12. dh66

dh66

Thanks guys. Joe, I think that's a pretty accurate assessment. The smallish brim (just shy of 2") had me thinking later rather than earlier 50s. The skinny tie era.

13. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Chase and Company Derby
    About 5 inch crown
    Dimensional D'orsay Curl Brim
    About 2 inch front 1 3/4 sides to curl (2 1/2 total)
    1 inch grosgrain ribbon with frayed bow trail

This bowler was a brand I have not heard of before... but since I recently got an old beat up Mallory that had a lot of let’s call it character with all its frayed bindings and such I thought it would be nice to have an old bowler with a nice tight d'orsay curl brim. This Chase and co of New Haven, CT for just twenty bucks shipped rang the bell perfectly. The hat over all is in pretty nice shape. One pin hole moth divot in the top of the crown along with a couple small soft spots. A few popped stitches on the sweat.. but otherwise fairly clean. The sweat is soft malleable and very comfortable. I have no idea on dating this... other than to say it looks at least 50s or older. Right out the box it’s accompanying me for... well whatever tonight is bringing.

4EAF03D7-A20D-4C22-BA75-7B39A90294DB.jpeg 89838127-397F-42DA-BD77-A414497F5FFE.jpeg A026A892-1288-4021-828F-6B7FF4CB2D29.jpeg 631266F6-F8FB-4FE9-BC11-9A5320F166E7.jpeg 8A110CFC-5554-4286-B1E8-6EBF283B53DA.jpeg 8698D4D5-1D10-413E-9B03-8EFC946C21E9.jpeg A44EAC4F-3C84-4D35-8079-C0002BCD7322.jpeg 3768750C-600F-4503-AFDE-FE3D6626FC14.jpeg

14. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks great, Joe. I think bowlers really suit you well.

Borsalino
    20210317_081331.jpg

15. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Thanks Randy

16. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Every now and then I like some hats more than others and so I try hard to get them, despite the fact that I have greatly reduced purchases.
    This weekend I will introduce some of them.
    Vanzina Mogano 5.jpg
    Vanzina - Pavia - Qualità Extra. The size is 59 or 7 3/8 US
    Vanzina Mogano 1_modificato-1.jpg
    What attracted me was the color and finish of the felt and the heathered felt
    Vanzina Mogano 3.jpg
    The color is "Mogano" and the finish is in a short, quite shaggy, pile.
    Vanzina Mogano etichetta carta.jpg
    These are the measures: brim at 5.5 centimeters; low point crown 11cm. and the ribbon is high 3.5 cm.
    The hat is unlined with only the brand and type in a dedicated patch, you can see even better the back of the felt finish
    Vanzina Mogano interno totale.jpg
    The texture is massive and shapes well with a minimum of steam. The form and measures are those of the Italian hats of the sixties.
    Vanzina Mogano 4.jpg
    Now comes the question about the Vanzina production: was it done, as it would seem before 1956, the year of the merger with Borsalino or after? One of the little mysteries of Italian headwear

17. Daniele Tanto

I am very sorry for this hat, I wish it had the right size for me, instead it will make some other loungers happy.
    Barbisio Doria 6.jpg
    It has two characteristics that I really like: the color of the felt, a very deep blue and the pleated ribbon in the same color.
    Barbisio Doria 3.jpg
    Barbisio Qualità Extra French size 4 1/2 French which is equivalent to a 56cm. so a 6 7/8 US
    Barbisio Doria 4.jpg
    This blue color is called "Doria" where ita was made: in the historic factory of Sagliano Micca
    Barbisio Doria etichetta carta.jpg
    The shape and finish is a classic example of Barbisio quality.
    Barbisio Doria interno.jpg
    Here are the measurements of this elegant hat: brim at 6 centimeters, crown at low point 10.5 cm., pleated ribbon is 4 cm.
    Barbisio Doria 1.jpg
    Let's talk about the felt that is solid and absolutely moldable.
    Barbisio Doria 2.jpg
    A Barbisio at its best!

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  18. Tonio

Tonio A-List Customer

A new straw. More pictures in the Panama hat thread.

1763A697-605F-4111-8A00-B01D59CBC53E.jpeg

19. Daniele Tanto

Let's finish the trio of Italian hats with a classic.
    Borsalino ghiaccio 4.jpg
    Borsalino Trionfo French size 5 1/2 therefore a 58 cm. or 7 1/4 US
    Borsalino ghiaccio 2.jpg
    The reason I bought this hat out of my size (pay attention loungers who wear hats of this size:)) is the color and finish of the felt.
    I liked the combination of the color called "Ghiaccio" and the ribbon called "Marina" in a deep blue.
    Borsalino ghiaccio etichetta carta.jpg
    The felt is soft and finished with a short, supple pile. The hat, as can be seen from the paper label, is not very old, but finished with the characteristics of its predecessors.
    Borsalino ghiaccio interno.jpg
    Ribbon inside the sweatband and very high accuracy with high end materials
    Borsalino ghiaccio 3.jpg
    The dimensions are classic of that period (Seventies) of Borsalino production: brim 5.5 cm, low point crown 10.5 cm. and 4 cm. high ribbon.
    Borsalino ghiaccio 6.jpg
    A high quality model that Borsalino has always produced, even in very recent years

20. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Beautiful hat Daniele. I have this same color combination on my MGL. It does kinda take just the right light for the blue to come out but it is in there for sure.

Daniele Tanto likes this.