Post New Hats Here!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rundquist, May 4, 2004.

1. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Zombie_61, Pellie and Rumad like this.

2. This hat speaks to me. Just something special about it that is immediately apparent.

3. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt Practically Family

Thank you, Stefan: You express very well what I have only felt myself.
    Even if the measurements are not that different from other hats,
    the proportions are different - especially when worn.
    The whole hat and particularly the crown are gigantic!
    And on top of that the thick/heavy felt - even if it is coarser
    and not as supple as the felt of the Hückel Superior!
    I have never held anything comparable in my hands.

So far I haven't thought about it, but that could be possible.
    I'm just surprised that the perforations are in two rows:
    Have you already seen something like that?

Blare likes this.
  4. Mean Eyed Matt

Thank you, Brent: Possibly it is exactly the presence Stefan was talking about!

Blare likes this.
  5. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Fifth chapter of the orphanage of Italian hats.
    The surprises begin with a hat that has all the requisites for being old, except the brims which are incredibly short.
    Extra 2.jpg
    "Extra - Tirso" size 58 centimeters in a plum colored felt and made of wool and fur with a touch that I often found in Italian and French hats from before World War II.
    Extra interno totale.jpg
    Let's talk about the brims that I doubt could be that short in the 30's and 40's, I've seen at minimum 5cm in hats where they were always up.
    Extra 3.jpg
    It is extremely malleble and has a fine backbow and internal finish.
    Extra marchio.jpg
    It has a brand "Qualità Prima Extra" I never see
    Extra Tirso.jpg
    The name of the maker or the type of hat is "Tirso" a small river in Sardinia or the sacred Thyrsus was a ritual stick attributed to the Greek god Dionysus and his followers, satyrs and maenads. Of various wood, but thicker than dogwood.
    Extra negoziante.jpg
    From the lettering and brand stamping it seems really an old hat
    Extra 4.jpg
    These are the measures: the brims are 4 cm., the ribbon, with backbow is 4.5 cm and the minimum height of the crown is 11 cm.
    Extra 5.jpg
    I tried to imagine the hat with a couple of cm. plus in the brims and it would have been different, if they were cut to make it palatable, the job was done carefully
    Extra 6.jpg
    This is one of the mysteries of this find and the pity is that it would also fit on my head...:rolleyes:

6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Matt, Stefan, I think they are ventilation related. P. & C. Habig Wien had something similar in the time period.

P. & C. Habig Wien Silk Top Hat with "Patent Ventilator" . Not sure if it worked. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P. & C. Habig Wien "Grand Prix Paris" Stiff Felt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mean Eyed Matt

Whether this has really brought "fresh air" I dare to doubt,
    but the patant imprints are indeed a good explanation.
    What I can say and what you have already noticed:
    The sweat is very thin and soft!

Zombie_61 and Blare like this.
  8. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Matt, I have no idea how it works because there is no exterior vent. Also would cut down slightly on Sweatband weight.

9. Daniele Tanto

Sixth chapter of the orphanage of Italian hats.
    Another mystery, this completely unexpected
    [​IMG]
    A velour felt hat made in Tuscany by "La Familiare" hat factory often dedicated to producing for third parties, located in Montevarchi - Arezzo. Size is a full 58 centimeters
    [​IMG]
    I have very few hats from this manufacturer in my collection and in this bunch that arrived last week I find two.
    [​IMG]
    Well-made hat with a short-haired, malleable and well-dense velour.
    [​IMG]
    The hat appears to have been pre-formed during production and the finishes are top notch.
    [​IMG]
    From the construction details, the prints on the sweatband and the components of the hat, its dating is between the 50s and the early 60s
    [​IMG]
    "La Familiare" (the familiar) has a lily of Florence in its trademark
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The brand on the sweatband, as well as the name of the shop are printed in gold
    [​IMG]
    The measurements are as follows: the raw brim is at 6 centimeters and the low ribbon at 2 centimeters and the crown at its minimum front point is at 11 centimeters.
    Here you find the Wiki link to the manufacturer https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappellificio_La_Familiare

10. Daniele Tanto

This is the seventh orphaned Italian hat and it is my favorite, perhaps because it is older than the writer:)
    We have little news about this black hat from the thirties
    [​IMG] Someone threw the liner in the garbage and no indication is present for the lack of a paper label
    [​IMG]
    Velour, as it is called on the sweatband, size 58 centimeters
    [​IMG]
    The shapes and finishes, see the sweatband with "inlays" are those of a hat made about a hundred years ago
    [​IMG]
    Its peculiarity is the black felt, classified as velour which has a very low fur and an exceptional malleability
    [​IMG]
    In the mixture of felt there is certainly a part of wool and probably silk because the consistency and luster are those of some women's hats of the period
    [​IMG]
    As I mentioned in the presentation of this lot, some hats are mysteries, also because their dating is at least fifty years long. This too was sold in a tiny town of Pegognaga, as evidenced by the brand of the shop
    [​IMG] These are its measurements: the brims are at 6.3 cm, the ribbon is at 5 cm. and the lowest point of the crown is at 11.5 centimeters.
    This hat, as well as the one called "Extra - Tirso" are the adorable puzzles that are found every now and then and make collectors spend a few moments of happiness ;)

Scooterz, mayserwegener, RBH and 12 others like this.
  11. Pellie

Pellie Practically Family

Zombie_61, Daniele Tanto and Blare like this.
  12. And now, not the usual type of hat we see here:

[​IMG]

The Vaniglia (Italian for "vanilla"), made in Italy from "recycled" jute coffee bags. I think "repurposed" would be more accurate, because this woven jute is pristine. Actually I'm certain the fabric was made purely for hats like this, because I've seen the exact same print and ink patterns on other hats similar to this one. Also, there are zero signs of wear, so I'm positive this jute has never seen a coffee bean. It surely won't be to everyone's liking, but it's a nice light casual hat and I like it.

Rmccamey, Scooterz, jlee562 and 11 others like this.
  13. Pellie

Borsalino qualitá Victoria came in today. A great hat in a very good condition. Thick felt. Unfortunally the brimwidth is about 5,5 cm, i was hoping for 6 cm or more. I didn't ask the seller about it, so it's my own fault. Nevertheless i'm satisfied with it, it looks like it is never worn before. :)
    20210917_142953.jpg 20210917_143008.jpg 20210917_142729.jpg 20210917_142739.jpg 20210917_142750.jpg 20210917_142808.jpg 20210917_142815.jpg 20210917_142822.jpg 20210917_142836.jpg 20210917_142625.jpg

14. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Looks nice Marcel

Pellie likes this.
  15. Pellie

Thanks, yes a littlebit smaller proportions that i expected, but i think it suits very well. Now my Hatjack stretcher is doing his job :)

Zombie_61, Steve1857 and Blare like this.
  16. If you were intentionally looking for a hat with more "conservative" proportions for yourself, I don't think you could have done a better job. The hat looks like it's in very good condition, and I agree it suits you.

17. Here’s one I haven’t seen before. It’s a nice Stetson The Sovereign Twenty suede finish in an ice blue color that I love. The felt it soft and easily dry creases. The open crown is approximately 5 1/2 inches and the brim is 2 5/8 inches. It has a braided self-felt band that I haven’t seen on a Twenty before. It also has a new-to-me brim edge treatment. It isn’t the expected felted (Cavanagh/Mode) edge: the edge is capped in a matching piece of felt which gives it an overwelt and underwelt look. The seam of the cap is at the back of the hat and not overly obvious. If anyone has information on this hat I’d enjoy learning.

56370103-B7C5-48ED-9114-A7D2E99455A0.jpeg 2D4100A8-5E0A-4FAB-8485-ABC924DDC49D.jpeg 6C8CDE12-366C-44C8-9061-AEFD2D6D8E4E.jpeg 3A8FD400-86E1-47D1-B58C-F77C143625E2.jpeg 09109CE5-F88D-40E4-8C3E-C8514F1A676D.jpeg 05DB5D97-B7DD-4A46-89FC-5667DF15DC3B.jpeg 23D5999B-049F-40F4-A159-AA438E7AD3AF.jpeg 39B25566-502F-40C9-BD75-3057537EDDF5.jpeg 8AC6BB6E-9F3F-4D19-AE18-B00DB61A9516.jpeg 895BC000-A812-434F-BA1D-A9E088CF0FED.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  18. Pellie

Thank you! :)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  19. Pellie

Great hat and also a great colour.

20. DaveProc

DaveProc My Mail is Forwarded Here

Wow! What a beauty, so much to like about this hat, but ribbon/bow treatment is really special.