Post the pins on your fedoras..

Discussion in 'Hats' started by RBH, Feb 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Redfokker

Redfokker

Really cool!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I must have 10 or more broken cuff links that would make striking hat pins. Maybe this is why I never threw them away? I don’t know that I’d want hat bling on every hat, but every now and then???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

If you do, you'll probably grow weary fairly soon of "helpful" people telling you there's a bug on your hat. :D

BobHufford and Redfokker like this.
  4. Jerry Probst

Jerry Probst One of the Regulars

Yes, but think of all the opportunities to say "Hey! Don't bug me, Man!" :)

Zombie_61, BobHufford and Redfokker like this.
  5. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

On my Stetson Grand Central:
    [​IMG]

Steinbockhase, psklenar and Zombie_61 like this.
  6. psklenar

psklenar One of the Regulars

Suggestions please. I really want to figure out how to attach this pin to one of my hats (at the bow area of the ribbon). The ribbon is too tightly attached to the hat for me to somehow work the pin back into it to stick the pin into, so ... any ideas how I can go about fitting this pin to a hat? Should I seek out a jeweler to fit a different pin/stick to the back of the pin? Or ... ?

Thank you for any ideas!
    pat---- sm_IMG_20180728_170411.jpg

Steinbockhase and Redfokker like this.
  7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Redfokker likes this.
  8. Redfokker

Redfokker

I have never had a good result with this type of pin through the bow. Usually these type of pins are poked through the felt (Shudder!!) above the bow. If the pin is really something special (would love to see it) I would go to the trouble of having a jeweler mess with it. Show him what you are trying to do, where in the bow. Keeping the pin/hook as flat as possible.

M Hatman and psklenar like this.
  9. AbbaDatDeHat

If the pin is not something special, break it off or clip it and hot glue a snall bent safety pin to it. You prob can rebend and clip off the part of the safety pin. Just use your imagination.
    Bowen

M Hatman, psklenar and Redfokker like this.
  10. Redfokker

Redfokker

I would worry about hot glue holding, not much shear strength. But yes, clip off the stud and attach a pin that can just slip into the bow knot.

11. AbbaDatDeHat

Good point Red!!
    Epoxy!

M Hatman and psklenar like this.
  12. psklenar

Redfokker & AbbaDatDeHat,

Thank you both!

The pin is special in that it's the old University of Connecticut Huskies logo (i'm not a big fan of our new logo), but since I so very rarely wear a jacket where a lapel pin would be appropriate, I don't really care about maintaining the pinback at all. I think what I need is to replace it with a nice long (an inch or even longer) stick pin type deal, but I don't know how to do that myself and wasn't sure where I should look to have that sort of alteration made.

Based on your comments I'll call around to the local jewelry shops to see if any of them think they can make such an alteration. If I don't have any success, I'll look into the epoxied safety pin idea (an idea that never dawned on me). :)

Attached is a picture from the ebay auction I bought it through, I'll try and take and post a better picture this weekend if there's any interest. It's a nice antique looking pewter color metal, about 3/4" in diameter that i think will look real nice against the 1" ribbon on my gray 1950's Playboy or maybe even my future VS.

pat----

Attached Files:

Redfokker and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. psklenar

I finally got around to visiting my jeweler with the pin. He tested it to make sure his solder would adhere and then agreed to convert it for me. Snipped off the original pin and soldered on a lapel/hat pin to the back. I'm thrilled with it!
    pat----
    IMG_20190206_143526_sm.jpg

DRB, Rmccamey, RJR and 8 others like this.
  14. Fourman110

Fourman110 One of the Regulars

Looks great!

Zombie_61 and psklenar like this.
  15. Jerry Probst

Jerry Probst One of the Regulars

Very handsome adornment. Wear it with pride! I love the ribbon too. Is it custom made or store bought?

Zombie_61 and psklenar like this.
  16. psklenar

An @Art Fawcett original! My first (and so far only) bespoke hat. :D
    pat----

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. UnclePete

UnclePete New in Town

Very nice!

psklenar likes this.