Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

I actually was bidding on a couple of these a while back on Ebay. I think they are cool. The pin length is a little long, I trim them down (my Mercedes pins) so they ride nicer in the bow.
Mike, thanks. I've never seen Tonak pins before and I wonder if they were actually intended as a hat pin. The others I have all came with a hat.

Those are quite unusual for hat pins, gennerally the pin is shorter and runs width wise......
What is the length of those, are you sure they are not tie or lapel pins?
Really cool in any event!
M
I'm not really sure, Mark. It could well be that they are not intended as hat pins at all. Pins as a collectable and advertising giveaway were hugely popular here in the fifties and sixties (I remember collecting them as a kid). Not intended as a lapel pin I think: Tonak did not have a clothing line like some of the Italian hat brands did.

I'm not really sure, Mark. It could well be that they are not intended as hat pins at all. Pins as a collectable and advertising giveaway were hugely popular here in the fifties and sixties (I remember collecting them as a kid). Not intended as a lapel pin I think: Tonak did not have a clothing line like some of the Italian hat brands did.

Lapel pins (at least over here) are not necessarily associated with clothing lines, just product advertising giveaways. Often worn by salesmen to advertise their brand. I have lapel pins from varied product lines including Fountain Pens, Oil Products, papers goods etc. They also had no clothing lines......
M;)

Lapel pins (at least over here) are not necessarily associated with clothing lines, just product advertising giveaways. Often worn by salesmen to advertise their brand. I have lapel pins from varied product lines including Fountain Pens, Oil Products, papers goods etc. They also had no clothing lines......
M;)
True enough. Perhaps I'm overthinking this. The collectable pins were just that: advertising giveaways; they were never worn at all.

True enough. Perhaps I'm overthinking this. The collectable pins were just that: advertising giveaways; they were never worn at all.
Your Tonak pins are true lapel pins. The long sharp pin is meant to pierce the material on a suit lapel and end up with the logo showing. Some pins have the clasp and pin type backing, they do the same thing. These type do not hang well on a hat ribbon IMHO. I have a couple on some hats, but I don't like the way they lay.

OAC Pin c1925 sm.jpg
OAC Pin c1925 Derby bow detail.jpg
This pin is from about 1915-1920 for the Oregon Agricultural College (my guess on the provenance, could be Ohio or Oklahoma also). It sticks out a little too much to lie flat against the 1920s Stetson Derby bow.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Your Tonak pins are true lapel pins. The long sharp pin is meant to pierce the material on a suit lapel and end up with the logo showing. Some pins have the clasp and pin type backing, they do the same thing. These type do not hang well on a hat ribbon IMHO. I have a couple on some hats, but I don't like the way they lay.

View attachment 127394 View attachment 127395 This pin is from about 1915-1920 for the Oregon Agricultural College (my guess on the provenance, could be Ohio or Oklahoma also). It sticks out a little too much to lie flat against the 1920s Stetson Derby bow.

Redfokker,

Thanks, for the photos. I like all of your pin ideas.

I don't know if you saw the photos I posted in this thread last week, but I wonder, what you think of my ideas of adapting coins, old jewelry, buttons and other found objects as hat pins? I know they aren't traditional pins, but I think there are many cool objects that can work as adornments.

I am thinking about opening up an online hat pin shop and would appreciate your thoughts.

Jerry

Redfokker,

Thanks, for the photos. I like all of your pin ideas.

I don't know if you saw the photos I posted in this thread last week, but I wonder, what you think of my ideas of adapting coins, old jewelry, buttons and other found objects as hat pins? I know they aren't traditional pins, but I think there are many cool objects that can work as adornments.

I am thinking about opening up an online hat pin shop and would appreciate your thoughts.

Jerry
I would be a customer. You know that pins on vintage hats around here are rare. I think there are only a few of us that adorn our hats. Vintage pins are always something people will buy, even reproductions. As far as a "shop" is concerned, there is a lot to getting one up and running. I would try to test the waters with a dedicated Etsy page, probably would go over well. Keep me informed.

I would be a customer. You know that pins on vintage hats around here are rare. I think there are only a few of us that adorn our hats. Vintage pins are always something people will buy, even reproductions. As far as a "shop" is concerned, there is a lot to getting one up and running. I would try to test the waters with a dedicated Etsy page, probably would go over well. Keep me informed.
PLUS 1!!!!
M:)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here's a pin I made, but have a weird neurosis about actually putting into my hat.

Quick backstory: this is my Black Sheep Hat Works custom, based on a 1920's Stetson Star owned by Alan. I opted to add Bob's "Halo + 1" edge treatment which makes a sort of pseudo-binding on the edge with a concentric stitch. So in my head, this went from the Stetson Star, to the Black Sheep Hat Works Shooting Star.

The pin is an old lapel pin I found lying around the flower shop (lots of old stuff lying around the flower shop). Broke off the cheesy heart shape on top, and glued on a little piece of meteorite. Meteorite bits aren't actually that hard to find, especially if you're only looking for a small bit. I got a little bag of space rocks from Ebay, sourced from the Campo del Cielo meteorite in Argentina.

Maybe one day I'll actually stick it in the ribbon. o_O

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars

Thank you. My intent is not vintage hats, but on every day hat wearing crowd.

Here's another idea. The fly is attached with a straight pin through the ribbon not with a barbed hook as worn on fishing hats.

What do you think?
IMG_5251.jpg
IMG_5252.jpg

Here's a pin I made, but have a weird neurosis about actually putting into my hat.

Quick backstory: this is my Black Sheep Hat Works custom, based on a 1920's Stetson Star owned by Alan. I opted to add Bob's "Halo + 1" edge treatment which makes a sort of pseudo-binding on the edge with a concentric stitch. So in my head, this went from the Stetson Star, to the Black Sheep Hat Works Shooting Star.

The pin is an old lapel pin I found lying around the flower shop (lots of old stuff lying around the flower shop). Broke off the cheesy heart shape on top, and glued on a little piece of meteorite. Meteorite bits aren't actually that hard to find, especially if you're only looking for a small bit. I got a little bag of space rocks from Ebay, sourced from the Campo del Cielo meteorite in Argentina.

Maybe one day I'll actually stick it in the ribbon. o_O
Really cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko