Post War Sears Hecules Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by tmitchell59, Apr 21, 2015.

1. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

The Hercules by Sears label appeared on a lot of garmets. These jackets, with the exception of the long coat, are 50s jackets by my estimation. I have many pictures of other Sears Hercules jackets. They labeled an incredible number of styles. The jackets pictured here I own. I do not own one of the 30s jackets, but I have do have pictures of one from a ebay sale.

I know there are others on the forum that have Hercs. Post them here.

This is my favorite Vintage jacket. I have seen these jacket in brown and in steerhide. This one is HH. There is a repair in the neck lining.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the same jacket, missing the label and is probably steerhide.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Sleeve and cuffs are big on all these jackets, check out this one in a size 46. Huge!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    TheMarriedHermit likes this.
  2. tmitchell59

Sears put the Hercules label in many variations of this Civilian A2. This one is a fav. Light weight. I have not seen another in this style in black, most were brown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the only Sears Hercules that has the manufactures tag that I have seen. I will get a pic of the label. Probably 40s?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a very light weight cowhide.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tmitchell59

[​IMG]

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

TMitchell, I agree that the first one is a phenomenal design.
    I had a black one in Steerhide that would still be my favorite if it fit. Alas, I sold it.
    [​IMG]
    I really wish someone would do that design as a repro!!!!
    Great jackets, thanks for posting the pictures!

5. pawineguy

pawineguy One Too Many

Very interesting to see one with a manufacturer's tag, I don't believe I've seen that before. Mine, purchased from another board member. Lightweight HH with contrast stitching. Thanks for sharing some of your great jackets.

IMG_5310.JPG
    IMG_5312.JPG
    IMG_5313.JPG

6. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Very interesting thread. I believe this one is my fav:

[​IMG]

7. tmitchell59

Yep, that is it. I just bought another black one tonight, label gone, kinda looks like a HH jacket. I thought too about what a great reproduction it would make. I will post some fit pics because this jacket is short, just right to me. Very square but a bit fitted, the side straps really do some work. The sleeves on the HH labeled and cuffs are pretty wide. The shoulders are nice and square and that works for me. I the black HH fits like a 44, the steer more a 42. The lining is lighter and really flattened from wear and time, but give the jackets a full feel and do provide some insulation.

Thanks for sharing that jacket.

8. tmitchell59

That is a beauty! What size is it? Looks to be larger 42/44? I think I have seen that jacket in a thread. That label is 40s, correct, perhaps early post war? I see the Hercs I have posted as having that 50s label that expires with the Oakbrook/Fieldmaster label in the late 50s early 60s. as a follow up to this thread I will post some Oakbrook and Fieldmasters that followed these jackets. I would like to hear what the dinnerman says about dating these jackets. I have seen the Field masters in 63 catalogs...anyway that Hercules is a nice one. What brand of zipper?

9. tmitchell59

Yes, that is a nice one. Very much a spring/summer weight, palms trees on the label. I bought that one here I believe. One shoulder needs reinforcement. The leather is very light as is the lining, comfortable and in my size. I had some more pics on my page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tmitchell59

I look at ever Hercules jacket that comes on ebay/etsy and take the pics for reference. I have never seen a tag like this. I am very curious who made jackets for Sears. This label is one answer. A. Pritzker and Sons had military contracts also. They had so many, many different styles of jacket. I would think most of them were not in the catalog. The long coat is a very warm wear. I wore it this winter. The original belts are seldom scene. I think this jacket was put away years ago, not much wear.

11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Here's another of mine:
    [​IMG]
    It came with the original belt, but I used it to make adjuster straps for the sides....
    It's a great jacket.
    [​IMG]

lucky23 likes this.
  12. tmitchell59

I would agree. Looks great on the model, you? Nice fit for a longer/taller guy. Looks great Zipped. Is it labeled? Nice jacket. What size is it?

13. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

real cool/ badass

14. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Love the jackets in this thread!

15. bkarma

bkarma New in Town

That's a great looking jacket! I would love to see he back.

16. bkarma

bkarma New in Town

Really great information, thank you for putting all this together .

17. pawineguy

pawineguy One Too Many

Yes, you saw this on a previous thread when I bought it from Tom. He thought early 50s at the time while you thought late 40s. It's a spring loaded crown zipper. It's a 42, but I'm guessing that it was sold as a Tall, which I understand was an available size at one point.

IMG_5314.JPG IMG_5315.JPG

18. tmitchell59

These are not the best shots, but they do show how short these jackets are. This is the right size on the black one. I like it others will not. Maybe it works for my torso.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. pawineguy

pawineguy One Too Many

^ To me that's just the right length in this style jacket. That's my favorite of the ones you've shown. I really like the pocket design.

20. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Looks good on you!
    On me it looked too Bolero. That's why I wish someone would do a repop.....like 25" long instead of the 23.5" that mine was.
    It would be great in the Vicenza black.....
    are you reading this CloudyLemonade? (wink, wink)