Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Postal damage. Any hope of recovery?

T Rick

Practically Family
Okay, first the most important thing. The hat is fine (amazing in fact!). Now for the back story.

I won this auction on eBay a few days back (in fact hadn't even spotted it until paying for another I'd won, it was at $22 and had only 15 minutes left...).

It's a beautiful old Trimble, totally unfamiliar, but it looked great. Oddly, when I placed my bid in the last few seconds, I was surprised to see though I'd won, the winning bid was only thirty two cents under my max. Hope none of you here now wish you'd bid an extra buck ;).

Anyway, mail ran a bit earlier and I was surprised the hat wasn't with it. Then dogs barking, a knock on the door... a different mail carrier had come by with two packages. One (the hat) had obviously been seriously abused, and partially crushed. Retaped by them I think. On opening, I was bummed to see that the once pristine hat box now had a dented and ripped at the corners lid. Looking in the pics for the auction, you can clearly see it looked intact. That same view is now of the worst side of the damage.

So, long story coming to an end, this was shipped Priority Mail. If memory serves, there is a basic insurance covered there (?). Is it possible, even feasible to try to collect on damages to the merchandise? If so, what would be the appropriate amount to claim? How would I go about filing a claim (or would the Seller as Shipper have to do that).

Anyone here with experience/suggestions, or should I just be thankful the hat is okay and quit whining? Pics of damage (and hat!) once I find my camera... (oops!).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
If your time is worth anything to you don't bother. It has to be insured. Must be informed at the time and inspected or documented. If the packing was considered insufficient the claim would be denied. The system is designed for the claimants inconvenience so that they may be worn out and give up before they have to deny your claim. If you have a valuable object of documentable value well-packed and clearly damaged by them then it may be worthwhile to try. Your only damage is to a box of questionable value and repair cost-- a portion of the $22.00 total value if declared for shipping.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
There is no basic insurance with the postal service. The shipper would have to buy it. Perhaps he did. Contact him.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Yeah, the seller had to have specifically insured it. As far as I know there isn't any automatic "basic insurance." Also, if the seller insured it, it is still up to the recipient to make the claim. Rlk is right that it is a lot of goofing around, too. But you have photos of it from the auction and that could help the claim. Good luck.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I recently collected damages from USPS for some insured items damaged in transit. I submitted digital pictures along with the simple online claim application. My claim was processed within 10 days and I received my check a few days later. Of course, things don't always go this smoothly. But it can happen.

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks guys, that's about what I suspected. The auction actually ended much higher, at 67.57 (yes, I bid $67.89, I'm known to do odd things like that on occasion) plus shipping of $10.50.

I've messaged the Seller asking if it was insured, we'll see what his response is. And while I do value my time, if we can get the Post Office to cover something (arbitrary?) for the damages without too much trouble, fine. If not, I've still got a great hat (though a bit small... will look into a slight stretching after the packing/damage issue is resolved.).

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
)I was surprised to see though I'd won, the winning bid was only thirty two cents under my max.

I once won a contested item dead on my maximum bid. That one really did surprise me. You know, now that I think about it, I think that that may have even happened to me twice.

T Rick

Practically Family
I once won a contested item dead on my maximum bid. That one really did surprise me. You know, now that I think about it, I think that that may have even happened to me twice.

Had that happen to me too. A Gibson Les Paul 2007 Classic Antique model (dead mint) and I'd used a sniping service. When I placed my bid, it was at $1100. Later that night I watch on my phone from my favorite Blues Club as the bid climbed past $1400. I was half wishing I'd bid more, and half wishing I'd not bid at all (was a lot of money to part with for an unseen guitar). My max was $1453.25 IIRC, whatever the max, I was shocked when my winning bid was exactly my max. I was also very pleasantly surprised when the guitar arrived and it was everything I'd hoped and more (and equally so when the same Seller sold another nearly identical a week later and it went to $1750!).

But back on topic, I've heard back from the Seller of this hat. No insurance, but says he's responsible and will refund my money if I return the hat and damaged box to him. Not going to go for that, I was simply hoping there was a chance for a partial refund from the PO for damages. I've no intention of letting the Seller eat this. Or have the hat back! :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Yea that's just the nature of online shopping. Eventually something gets damaged. Since the box wasn't of great value (and you like the hat just fine) no real harm was done. No big deal. Now you can move on and enjoy the hat without distraction ... :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk