Potato Salad

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by Foofoogal, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

Made some potato salad today. It is a comfort food to me.

Wild how different some make it though.

Mine is basically pickles, eggs, mustard, onions, mayonnaise and potatoes.

All mixed up. Not chunks.
    --------------------
    Do they have this across the world?

2. /|\

/|\ One of the Regulars

3. I like mine easy on the onions (preferably no onions), personally. Generously topped with shredded cheese and bacon-bits too...

EDIT: Better yet, the latter two mixed in liberally, still with a generous topcoat.

4. Barrelhouse

Barrelhouse One of the Regulars

I won't comment on which variety I think is best because, in this region, blood feuds have begun over less weighty issues but yours certainly sounds delicious!! :essen:

5. /|\

/|\ One of the Regulars

My mom's potato salad was the best. Full stop, end of discussion.

:D

(I wish I had her recipe. But she didn't use one.)

6. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

Any potato salad, any of you fine people would serve me, meaning i didn't have to prepare it myself would be the best obviously! ;)

7. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

Oh dear lord ... please say we aren't starting another thread on that. :eek:

8. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

German potato salad

My mom used to make German potato salad, attempting to make something approximately as good as what my German grandmother used to make. The key things in German potato salad are bacon and a little bit of vinegar. I don't know what else is involved, but it's insanely delicious.

9. Mav

Mav A-List Customer

Yep. Discussion of potato salad recipes have sparked more senseless violence than discussion of BBQ.

I use sweet potatoes, BTW.:eek:

10. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

I have never heard of this in my life but it sounds yummy. I am going to try it.

I just know it is mandatory if going to a home after someone passes away to bring either potato salad or banana pudding or both preferably in the South. :)

11. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

That is only because BBQ is actually important enough that the violence is not senseless.

12. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I loooove potato salad. I dont know the recipe for the type I like best (there are sooo many ways to make potato salad), but I do love potato/egg salad. Yes, thats potato salad and egg salad mixed together. I wanna try the cheese and bacon version. Sounds yummy.

13. DesertDan

DesertDan One Too Many

Another potato salad lover here.

I am also facinated by all the variations one finds to so simple a food. It's like turkey stuffing every family seems to have their own version.

14. Mav

Mav A-List Customer

Many have claimed that "BBQ is Life," but we know that it's far more important than that.

15. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dillon's Loaded Baked Potato Salad

Hi

This looked good, smelled good, and I nearly barfed later. I bought some loaded baked potato salad from our local Dillon's store last week. I was in early and got the first of the batch. This is a cheesy chunky potato salad with LOTS OF BACON. Good it looked good and it smelled even better. Did I mention that it had LOTS OF BACON. It was so rich that after eating say 10 spoon fulls, I had to quit. VERY VERY Rich, too rich and I've never said that before. It had too much bacon on it, and I've NEVER said that before either.

Later

16. rkwilker

rkwilker One Too Many

Yes please....pass the potato salad

17. Joie DeVive

Joie DeVive One Too Many

Oh yes. Wars have been fought over this topic.

I was taught that there were two basic families of this food. One is the vinegar based variety often associated with Germany, and the other is the "more American" version with a base of mayonnaise. (Now how true any of this is, is beyond me, but that was my Mother's way of telling it.)

The "recipe" from my maternal line is actually a combination of the two. It contains potatoes, eggs, bacon, cooked onion, sweet pickles, vinegar and mayonnaise, and it is chunky. I've never made it, but I was lucky enough to secure the basic directions (because there is no exact recipe) before my Mother passed. I haven't been brave enough to give it a whirl yet, but really need to.

And of course, my family makes it the best... ;)lol

18. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I think the potatoes are sliced rather than cubed. It's my favorite style of PS.

19. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

I like potato salad any way it is offered - vinegar, mayonnaise, eggs, pickles, bacon or cheese. I even like the funny Japanese one with mashed potato.

20. LaMedicine

LaMedicine One Too Many

:D
    My recipe is peel and cut potatoes and carrots into thin slices, boil with a pinch of salt, strain the water and add mayonnase. The potatoe does end up some tiimes like half mashed potatoes because I boiled it till too soft :D :p