Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PPHH..... Personal Portable Hat Hanger

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
I am retired and have just discovered Fedora hats. I am liking my first purchases and am looking for more. I have a steamer and have successfully done some reshaping. But if I am going to be a "Fedora Guy" then I want to wear my hat wherever I go. I have read posts about restaurants or theaters about how you can wear it sometimes, put it on the table or empty seat, or balance it on your knee. But if there are no empty seats and no room on the table, and no one in the restaurant is wearing a hat, and a short guy is sitting behind you at the theater. Then what do you do.

I did discover the Penman hat Co. portable hat hanger here. I contacted him and his supplier can no longer work in wood. He is working on another design and supplier so stay tuned for that one.

I am a retired engineer and started sketching out some ideas. I was thinking I could find someone to print one our for me. But that is too much work. So after many hours of googling I found this Glove Guard.

I bought one on Amazon for $12. This is what it looks like up close.

p1902259004-3.jpg

The little end goes around a belt loop and the larger end is to hold work gloves but the both ends looked like this.

p2074112781-3.jpg

I imagined that those interlocking teeth would NOT be good for straw or felt. So I filed the teeth away (its a hard plastic of some sort). Then using some Sugru that I had laying around (I use it for my drone hobby and other things), I created two flat surfaces for the hat pinching end. It is not a work of art but the hat end looks like this.

p2139923027-3.jpg

It probably has more surface area than the old church pew hat hangers. So what does it look like when I have it all on you ask....

p2097373449-3.jpg

A bit geeky. yes. Does it do the job I was looking for yes. Its small and can fit in jacket pocket or maybe my wife's purse if she is in a good mood. I found that I can walk around with it like this as well. there is probably another mod to it that would allow it to be hung off the backs of chairs as well.

BTW this is a rollable stetson so I do not need to use this. But I am thinking of getting a really nice Barsolino or something and I wanted to make sure I had a solution to the problem in my head with a non-rollable hat.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Strange that no hat makers sew in a hanging loop tab inside the hat the way some traditional shirt makers do?

Great innovation there - it's a great way to free a hat when the hat is off!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Strange that no hat makers sew in a hanging loop tab inside the hat the way some traditional shirt makers do?

Great innovation there - it's a great way to free a hat when the hat is off!
A hanging loop used to be standard in some European brands. You'll see them documented in the "German & Austrian Hutmachers" thread.

I don't believe the idea was ever taken up by American makers - except for Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works. I'm not sure, if he automatically installs one, but I've at least seen some from his hand :)

Here's an example - a vintage Hückel, that Bob refurbed: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/black-sheep-hat-works.54314/page-54#post-2048676

Last edited:

RJR

A hanging loop used to be standard in some European brands. You'll see them documented in the "German & Austrian Hutmachers" thread.

I don't believe the idea was ever taken up by American makers - except for Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works. I'm not sure, if he automatically installs one, but I've at least seen some from his hand :)

Here's an example - a vintage Hückel, that Bob refurbed: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/black-sheep-hat-works.54314/page-54#post-2048676
The loop is a nice and useful touch.

Handy! I didn't have one of those little clippy things on Saturday evening in Derby Line, Vt, so I scanned the room as I always do.

The solution (and there is ALWAYS a solution)...
DSC05241.jpg
This was a VERY nice restaurant, and even had a selection of hats to chose from, due to past customers leaving them behind. I TOOK my PHD with me, of course.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I used to put my hat on a chair on cafés and restaurants. Please be wiser than that! If somebody tumbles a cup, glass or jar on the top of the table, the chair may be safe from stains (because of the hat) - but the hat may not be!

Three years ago I purchased an early 50s, light tan Open Road. The very first time I wore it, I met an old friend and we had a latte at a local café. I put the hat on an unused chair between us. Unfortunately my friend tilted his glass during a very "animated" explanation - swinging arms and all :(

I reacted like a ballistic missile, and got the coffee, that floated around the crown-top and upturned brim, dapped off. The golden ribbon was never successfully cleaned, so I had to change it.

Thinking about what could have happened, my advice must be: Don't ever temporarily store your hat below table-height!

If the restaurant is not "classy" enough to offer proper ways to safely store your hat - it's just not "classy" enough to expect you to take of your hat, while seated!

I used to put my hat on a chair on cafés and restaurants. Please be wiser than that! If somebody tumbles a cup, glass or jar on the top of the table, the chair may be safe from stains (because of the hat) - but the hat may not be!

Three years ago I purchased an early 50s, light tan Open Road. The very first time I wore it, I met an old friend and we had a latte at a local café. I put the hat on an unused chair between us. Unfortunately my friend tilted his glass during a very "animated" explanation - swinging arms and all :(

I reacted like a ballistic missile, and got the coffee, that floated around the crown-top and upturned brim, dapped off. The golden ribbon was never successfully cleaned, so I had to change it.

Thinking about what could have happened, my advice must be: Don't ever temporarily store your hat below table-height!

If the restaurant is not "classy" enough to offer proper ways to safely store your hat - it's just not "classy" enough to expect you to take of your hat, while seated!
Can you imagine a scenario involving red wine with your hat hanging from your belt?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
And me in the next scene, hanging from the ceiling - in my belt =8-O

It's a great little device as long as you think a little ahead. I could easily see myself using it from a (coat-)hook - but not from my belt or a purse-hook on the table edge.

Benproof

A-List Customer

Thats great to know. I am not a fussy hat wearer but I do like practical hats. If I hang up my hat I am likely to leave it to the same fate as the umbrella when I leave shop...

the ladies like it!

New in Town
I like this solution for a couple of reasons; the hat stays connected to my body so I won't leave it behind on a rack someplace and it will always be within sight allowing me to protect it from theft or damage. As far as wine spills, I have been the recipient of more than one. I've never managed to get wine on the side of my body (my lap yes) and (assuming I'm seated in a chair) I will instinctively push my chair back from the table. Unless there is a coat-check, I'm always more comfortable having my prized-lid in custody.

We have favorite "haunts" where I am familiar with the seating, and in some cases we choose to sit in a booth. This scenario will require a different solution. I'm considering a suction cup style "hook" that can be easily stuck on an adjacent window or other smooth surface.

Fortunately my wife travels with a purse and she has begrudgingly approved the added cargo. Search Amazon for "Suction Cup Mount for Gopro" for some hat-friendly contenders.

Thanks for sharing your idea bobkeenan!

I am retired and have just discovered Fedora hats. I am liking my first purchases and am looking for more. I have a steamer and have successfully done some reshaping. But if I am going to be a "Fedora Guy" then I want to wear my hat wherever I go. I have read posts about restaurants or theaters about how you can wear it sometimes, put it on the table or empty seat, or balance it on your knee. But if there are no empty seats and no room on the table, and no one in the restaurant is wearing a hat, and a short guy is sitting behind you at the theater. Then what do you do.

I did discover the Penman hat Co. portable hat hanger here. I contacted him and his supplier can no longer work in wood. He is working on another design and supplier so stay tuned for that one.

I am a retired engineer and started sketching out some ideas. I was thinking I could find someone to print one our for me. But that is too much work. So after many hours of googling I found this Glove Guard.

I bought one on Amazon for $12. This is what it looks like up close.

p1902259004-3.jpg

The little end goes around a belt loop and the larger end is to hold work gloves but the both ends looked like this.

p2074112781-3.jpg

I imagined that those interlocking teeth would NOT be good for straw or felt. So I filed the teeth away (its a hard plastic of some sort). Then using some Sugru that I had laying around (I use it for my drone hobby and other things), I created two flat surfaces for the hat pinching end. It is not a work of art but the hat end looks like this.

p2139923027-3.jpg

It probably has more surface area than the old church pew hat hangers. So what does it look like when I have it all on you ask....

p2097373449-3.jpg

A bit geeky. yes. Does it do the job I was looking for yes. Its small and can fit in jacket pocket or maybe my wife's purse if she is in a good mood. I found that I can walk around with it like this as well. there is probably another mod to it that would allow it to be hung off the backs of chairs as well.

BTW this is a rollable stetson so I do not need to use this. But I am thinking of getting a really nice Barsolino or something and I wanted to make sure I had a solution to the problem in my head with a non-rollable hat.

Rab Uilleann

New in Town
I have been looking for a better way to stash my hat when I go out. I was at the local coffee shop and I see this older guy walk in with a nice Fedora. He sat down and pulled out this small black thing and the next thing I know it he hooked it on the back of his chair.

I had to ask.... He said that the invented it and called it the porto fedora or porta fedora. He said the he had been printing them up on his home printer and now he is selling them. I tried it and took a picture with my hat..... it worked out really well. I asked where I could get it and he said to search for portafedora or porta fedora or portofedora. And they were listed on etsy, ebay, and Amazon. He said that he had not sold many.

When I got home I eventually found it under portafedora and I bought one from etsy. Don't have it yet but will report more when I get it. I attached a pic of my hat on the hook. Anybody else familiar with it.... or are there other alternatives?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know there are other threads on this subject, but this is the best one I found in a 5 minute search.

I ordered some new ink for our Canon printer and took the opportunity to add in this Hat Rider so I have a better way to stash my hat when I'm driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HW7ZZS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I usually just wear my hat in the car, but if I'm headed somewhere and want to avoid "hat hair" then I put the hat on the seat.... but sometimes it rolls off or gets smashed by my briefcase or whatever.

I like how this one works. The hanger arm is a bendable rubber material so nothing pointy or sharp is poking into your hat. It can mount on either seat, and owing to the smaller diameter of the metal tubing used on my headrest, the Hat Rider can swivel so I can position my hat to the front, side or back depending on other passengers, etc.

i-S6WZnJX-M.jpg

i-WcDT6j7-M.jpg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my PortaFedora holding my Art Fawcett custom at the Mumford & Sons show in Hartford CT last night. :)
pat----
I just ordered 2 of these PortaFedora "seconds" the guy has listed on Etsy. I can see the usefulness of these at restaurants, at home, etc., or even in the car if you loop some string through the hole on the PortaFedora and around the headrest.

Look at all the pics he has posted with the product on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/644340...f=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1&pro=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points