Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pressed or Loose Powder?

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
So I didn't see a thread on this. I was wondering what others prefer. If it's one or the other, or does it depend on the sitution? I don't normally wear powder, so I would appreciate any ideas anyone cares to share. Thanks.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Professional Advice

If you are wearing cream foundation, use a loose, no-color powder. Colored powder, though it looks pretty, adds color to the make-up. If the make-up is done correctly, you don't need more color. Also touch ups would add color each. By the end of the day it looks funky.

Pressed powder has more junk in it, but is convenient for your purse when out on the town. Nevertheless loose powder is best.

If you use a pancake make-up and you're not dancing, you might get away with no powder.

If you use liquid foundation.....I have little experience to give. I don't care for them.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Well, MK's the pro.

I use loose powder because it is easy to adjust the amount I need, depending on the occasion, day or night, work or fun. I also use both a brush and puffs. I use the brush, dust it off first on a puff, then brush the powder on, then press with a clean puff, but sometimes, I press the puff to the powder first, brush off the extra, then apply to the face. When I'm out, I keep pressed powder with me as a back up, and for retouches, but rarely use it. I use a paper oil blotter--I don't know if you have them in the US, but here, stores carry such retouch paper-- to take the sheen away, and then dust lightly if there's a need to.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Like LaMedicine I usually carry Shine-away papers as they don't tend you leave you all clogged up with powder as they blot any shine off your face rather than adding powder to it. I find that my powder does tend to darken if I use too much of it as I have fairly oily skin. My tried and tested favourite pressed powder is Chanel translucent as it is soooooo fine and comes in such a nice light weight compact. I usually carry both these things and am often helping out friends with shiny noses at weddings etc as they all want to borrow some!!!!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I prefer loose translucent powder for photos, but I don't often wear foundation or powder unless I'm expecting pictures. I just dust a little over my face and some on my arms to combat redness. I prefer loose because I get more control over the application and I think it gives a better finish.

magneto

Practically Family
I use and like the Coty translucent loose powders (which come in a nice round vintage-looking pasteboard container, and are inexpensive).
I read somewhere you can make your own pressed powder just by mixing the loose powder with a little isopropyl alcohol into a paste, and pressing the paste into a compact of your choice. Less "junk" I suppose.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I use pressed powder cause I feel I won?Ǭ¥t shine as fast from it. I have those oil-papers in my handbag, too, but I forget about having them aaaaall the time... I would love to try the loose powder of B?ɬ©same once though cause it smells like spiced vanilla I heard... i LOVE vanilla :rolleyes:

Tin Pan Sally

powdering our noses

I use Coty too, girls. In the summer I sometimes use an oil matifier under my makeup.
I once acquired a clasp purse that had a cute vintage cardboard folder of blotter papers in it.

Jessica

One of the Regulars
I'm a MAC girl. I like to weart the "studio fix" alone without foundation. If I do wear foundation for photo shoots or on stage, I use a loose powder and a powder brush.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
pressed or loose

I've been using physcian's formula pressed powder, it claims to not have the normal junk found in other pressed powders...but after reading all this...I think I'll follow the make up pro and try loose...my biggest problem is in my t-zone areas...it's frustrating cause I'm almost 30 yet my skin gets oily there like a teenagers...does either one work better as far as controlling that?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
it's frustrating cause I'm almost 30 yet my skin gets oily there like a teenagers...does either one work better as far as controlling that?

This is no secret but water... I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have really oily skin. I have been drinking a lot of water lately and I noticed that if I drink nothing but water all day my skin is normal... if I go one day drinking sugar drinks, juice, pop, or even sobes, by the end of the day my skin is super oily. I don't know how much water you drink, but I have been noticing a remarkable difference! It makes me wish that I started drinking water sooner... I was raised on Pop! LOL

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Yes, water, water, H2O!!
Do you know that models drink at least 2 liters of water every day (that's about half a gallon) so their skin stays in the best condition? And when you wash your face, be sure to pour the water over you face at least 20 times to wash off all the lotion and soap that you used to take your makeup off, and replenish the moisture of your skin that said agents remove from your face along with the makeup.

cherrypinupgal

New in Town
I use loose powder with a puff. I brush off the excess with a large fluffy brush. Clarins, Becca and Estee Lauder make wonderful loose powders for those (like myself) that are acne prone. MAC's blot powder works a treat for touch-ups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points