Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preventing moth damage

Bebop

Practically Family
I sprinkle cedar shavings into all of my hat boxes along with wrapping my hats in plastic bags from the dry cleaners. I also sprinkle the shavings into the plastic bag. Moth balls are so smelly they keep me away from the hats along with the moths. Is this enough to keep the moths from damaging my hats? What do you guys and gals do to prevent moth damage?

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
I never put away my good hat, it's always out, and usually with me.

So I was wondering...would a cedar shaving - a long one, like a 1/2" wide, several inches long - tucked in the sweatband have the same effect? Is the scent of the cedar so pervasive that moths can't get NEAR it, or would this have no effect since it doesn't provide a 'magic circle of protection' around my fedora? ;)

(Serious question, despite my avatar.) :p

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Rigby Reardon said:
I never put away my good hat, it's always out, and usually with me.

Clothing moths only feed on wool and other items that are stored in warm dark places. They will not stay on items that are used all the time and see the light of day.

Joedahat

New in Town
Mothballs P. U.

We tell our customers to use cedar chips/balls/shavings in their hat boxes. But do not let the cedar touch the hat, as the oil from the wood, which has the aroma, will definitely stain the hat.
Have you ever steamed a hat that has been stored with regular moth balls? P UUUUUU!

Joedahat said:
Have you ever steamed a hat that has been stored with regular moth balls? P UUUUUU!

Yep, I sure have. MMMMM MMMMM! Love it. Love it. :p ;)
Don't forget about the other scents available though.
The shavings lose their scent far sooner than the moth balls as well. When the ball is gone you just replace it. You never know when to replace the shavings for sure.
If a hat is worn frequently then you usually do not have to worry about moth damage. Keep it clean and brushed and it should be fine. If you see something suspect then either moth ball it or have it cleaned. The moth balls work slower. The cleaning solution kills moths and their larve nearly instantly. Moth balls prevent further infestation after that.

Regards to all,

J

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Freezing works, too...

jamespowers said:
If you see something suspect then either moth ball it or have it cleaned. The moth balls work slower. The cleaning solution kills moths and their larve nearly instantly. Moth balls prevent further infestation after that. J

Two or three days in the freezer also works well. Cheaper than dry cleaning.

Mycroft

One Too Many
How effective are the cardboard boxes you get at the hatters? What do I need to add to keep my hats mothless (within the cardboard boxes)? Also, what about humidity, what does it do, how do I provent humidity damage?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Answer.

Ok, here you go.

Please be advised that we do not sell in the U.S, but you may contact our associate, who does:

WILLERT HOME PRODUCTS INC

4044 PARK AVE

POWER HOUSE

ST LOUIS

MO MISSOURI

63110 US

314-772-2822

Thank-you,

Great. I can't get them because they are napthaline and the nuts here in California have banned it in this state. Perhaps they get enough money from the clothing lobby. "Yeah let all the moths eat their clothes and they will have to buy more." :rolleyes: Great. I guess it is regular moth balls for me---until they ban those.
Yes, the moth is the California state bird. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
Clothing moths only feed on wool and other items that are stored in warm dark places. They will not stay on items that are used all the time and see the light of day.

I couldn't find an appropriate thread for my question, but this one looks pretty good.

I have two 5-hat hatracks screwed to my wall - it's a small studio condo with plenty of light. I catch moths fluttering from beneath my hats almost daily. I interrogate them and remove a wing, but apparently they aren't taking the message back to their buddies. Yesterday I finally caught two chewing on the underside of a hat crown - a hat sitting on the hatrack in broad daylight. These were actual tiny moths and one had his head attached to felt. This was disturbing, and goes against what I've read on the lounge.

Outside of the ten hats that are sitting on racks (the metal ones where the hats hang on circular wires), I am using the 'lemon eucalyptus' method suggested by Billysmom - I place a cotton pad with a few drops beneath any hat sitting out, or 2 pads in any box storing a hat. No evidence that the moths are touching those hats.

For now, I'm going to sell all but 10-15 hats (we also have a major sneezing issue each time I clean hats), and keep all of those except two in boxes - the two I keep out will always be resting above a heavily-scented pad. We're moving soon, so each hat that goes with me will get the freezer treatment. I also have flannel baseball uniforms and lots of wool items - all with the pads nearby, which will get a dry-cleaning before the move.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the current moths, and to keep them from returning?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Remember how fun it was to watch these as a kid? Having one inside would be strange, dangerous, and awesome. :D
bug_zapper1.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Remember how fun it was to watch these as a kid? Having one inside would be strange, dangerous, and awesome. :D
bug_zapper1.jpg

I could dig a loud clicking sound, followed by a tiny moth squeal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points