Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preventing Sweat Stains?

Hamandbacon

New in Town
Good Evening.

I seem to sweat alot when I wear any type of hat or cap, but especially when I wear a leather-banded hat. I have searched the forum and didn't see an answer to the problem, but I may have missed it. Does anyone have any ideas for preventing sweat damage before it stains? I was thinking possibly a paper towel, or maybe a wax paper barrier placed behind the leather....???

Thanks!!

majormoore

Vendor
Go to a hobby/craft store, buy a small piece of thin cork, cut what you need and place inside the sweatband, may be a little tight , but it will work.

Just get the thinnest sheet of cork you can.

Mike

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I buy ladies panty liner pads. They are usually shaped like an hour glass so I trim one side to match the arc of the other, peal off the adhesive back, stick it to my jeans once or twice to cut down the tackyness, then stick it to the sweat band.

This really helps. It's cheap and disposable.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I can't remember what my Godfather uses to prevent sweat stains, I'll ask him next to he calls.

I don't remember why but my brother and little cousin, as well a bunch of male friends of mine stick a Bounce dryer sheet in their fitted baseball caps, you know the type I'm referring to. Some use brand new sheets, some already used sheets. Sweat? Smell? I have no clue lol.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
BigSleep said:
I buy ladies panty liner pads. They are usually shaped like an hour glass so I trim one side to match the arc of the other, peal off the adhesive back, stick it to my jeans once or twice to cut down the tackyness, then stick it to the sweat band.

This really helps. It's cheap and disposable.

Yet another wonderful use for maxipads lol lol lol lol

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Solution...

Sounds like one of those problems that can be solved with the correct application of duct tape...

Lorne

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
MissHuff said:
I can't remember what my Godfather uses to prevent sweat stains, I'll ask him next to he calls.

I don't remember why but my brother and little cousin, as well a bunch of male friends of mine stick a Bounce dryer sheet in their fitted baseball caps, you know the type I'm referring to. Some use brand new sheets, some already used sheets. Sweat? Smell? I have no clue lol.

This works great for removing odors, but make sure you use sheets that have already gone through the dryer. The oily stuff on new sheets will rub off on the hat.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have used duct tape before inserted between the hat body and head band. I trimmed it down so it wasn't visible. I have seen people using those dryer fabric softener sheets. That might work better since you wouldn't have to adhere it to the hat and it should breath a little too which is important. You could also easily change them out.

Hamandbacon

New in Town
Thanks for the Help.

Thanks for the ideas! Since the hat I am thinking about is new and a tad on the big side, I think I will go with the cork sheet idea and leave the pads to my wife:eek:;) and the duck tape for fixing my old carlol

Jeff

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
some of my higher end vintage hats have that same clear/ gold coled "plastic" protector between the sweat and the felt.

John in Covina said:
I have an old Dobbs Westward that has a gold colored plastic strip that is sewn in between the sweat band and the felt which seems to be designed to block the migration of head sweat.

Very good idea. I was going to mention that but I didn't get back to the thread until just now. If you could get some of that material and put it under the sweatband then it might make a decent difference. The best way to use it is as it was originally designed though---sewn in under the sweatband. Whatever it is, I do not notice it making the hat any warmer than other hats without it. So you sure can try to get some and experiment with it.
That plastic was originally clear by the way. ;)

Regards,

J

Hamandbacon

New in Town
Is Plastic different from "Onion Skin" material?

Thanks guys,

Is the plastic, the clear acetate, like used to cover library books, or something else?

Am I guessing correctly that onion skin is not really "onion skin?":eek: Is this the stuff similar to parchment paper?

Both of these ideas are appreciated. I think they would each reduce the amount of thickness of material and would only change the fit of the hat slightly, which is ideal for this hat.

Jeff

Hamandbacon

New in Town
That helps.

I know what material you are talking about, I believe. Instead of library book cover plastic, it is more flexible and has an almost rubbery feel to it, but at the same time is also transparent? I have some of the suspected material in the top of an Akubra Wentworth I have, if its the same.

Thanks again!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've always had a problem with sweat staining my hats, but I've found my own solution for it. The biggest problem is that sweat wicks through the thread where the sweatband attaches to the tape and reed. When I install a sweatband, I flange it enough so that the thread does not come into contact with my skin. I have yet to have sweat stains appear one my hats when I have done this.

Sweatband.jpg

Brad

Hamandbacon

New in Town
Thanks Brad-My Custom Hat Will Include That!

I appreciate you taking that photo for showing your idea. The next hat I get will probably be a custom one, and I will incorporate that idea. After thinking about it, it would seem you are right, those thread holes are the leak in the dinghylol

Take Care,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto