Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prices Gone Crazy !!!!!!!!!!

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Is it me are have ebay prices gone crazy ??
Here are 2 auctions I recently Tracked
BORSALINO Vintage 50s Sage Green FELT FEDORA HAT 7 1/2. Sold for $485 & not that Vintage...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370026808612&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

VINTAGE STETSON ROYAL DelUXE OPEN ROAD HAT + BOX MINT Sold for $277.11
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320217362187&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123
Granted, a Great looking Hat, but it was a 6 7/8's. :eek: :eek:

I have decided to just watch and see if Sanity returns..
(Maybe I should Sell Now?) lol lol

Justdog

Practically Family
Borsalino

I am sure the one that cant be named would have a comment for the Borsalino. Are they not reasonably valuaed at that vintage and size?
The stetson seems a bit high for the size anything make it particularly unique?
Where do you link to get your Ebay research value?
Thanks

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I Was Third Place....A Distant Third

I really liked that hat, but not as much as others. I have a Borsalino that I still would not take $500 for. You just can't go downtown and buy one like it.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I don't see any missing stitches. This model does have a reeded sweatband. Sometimes you just can't see everything in a photo.

Justdog

Practically Family
Thats the point

carouselvic said:
I really liked that hat, but not as much as others. I have a Borsalino that I still would not take $500 for. You just can't go downtown and buy one like it.

Thats the issue if your lucky or resourceful enough to have the means then buy , buy all means. My hatter I was in today sells them for 700 gulp, dollars. I put on a 7 1/4 and it fell over my ears. I could see going out in the rain and it all melts around my head with steaks of die dripping down my face, smile. I, ll take my little Adams Stratoliner knock off circ 1950ish for now. In all fairness I dont feel so bad about the price I paid for my vintage Borsalino, yet to arrive from the good ol USA. Of course it looked good in the pictures, smile.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
The Made in Italy

Rick Blaine said:
I dunno, I have one w/ a 2 5/8" brim w/ a very similar liner that has a price tag of $21.00. I roughly guestemate that puts it somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 -55 yrs. old. Not terribly old, but no spring chicken either. Not saying it is a $500 hat, but I think it is reasonable to call it "vintage".... my .02

I could be wrong, but the "Made in Italy" on the sweat band always make me think newer ??
PS they are both Drop Dead Hats, Just waaaaay out of my price range :eek: :eek:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The hat does not have the model printed in gold on the sweatband the way the more moderen Borsalinos do. I agree with the seller when he called it 50s. Just my .02.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
The hat does not have the model printed in gold on the sweatband the way the more moderen Borsalinos do. I agree with the seller when he called it 50s. Just my .02.

This thread is a pretty good Lounge resource for Borsalino dating. The info in the thread would suggest 50's for this lid.

Cheers,
JtL

citRon

A-List Customer
I just simply gave up trying to get anything off evilBay. Either I find a hat I LOVE, and somebody pays their first-born for it, or a hat is advertised to be one size, and meaures 3 sizes away from that.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Crown Height...

He measured the crown while creased... It would have been interesting to know the actual height of the crown. I bet it's close to 6".

I agree that stitching seems to be missing along a large section of the front of the sweatband. The photo was taken directly above the hat. If it was tightly stitched, then the shadow wouldn't be so prominent.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Am I the only person who saw some marks on the interior sweatband? This doesn't mean it's unworn..just interesting (and unmentioned by the seller).

Vintage Betty

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
johnnyphi said:
He measured the crown while creased... It would have been interesting to know the actual height of the crown. I bet it's close to 6".

I agree that stitching seems to be missing along a large section of the front of the sweatband. The photo was taken directly above the hat. If it was tightly stitched, then the shadow wouldn't be so prominent.

Borsalinos have a reeded sweatband, about 5" long that appears to not have been sewn. This is just the way that they are made. It helps to keep sweat from staining the forehead area of the hat. Dinerman was referring to a different area of the hat.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
You guys are cool...

NOW I get it! Why didn't y'all say that in the first place?

Was I at least right about the crown height?

It seems like crowns should always be measured while open, unless the hat was pre-creased in the factory.

carouselvic said:
Borsalinos have a reeded sweatband, about 5" long that appears to not have been sewn. This is just the way that they are made. I helps to keep sweat from staining the forehead area of the hat. Dinnerman was referring to a different area of the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21