Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince Charles' Style: Like or Dis-Like?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
His style is not precisely my style, but I like and respect the fact that he has taken a look and made it his own, staying with it for 40+ years. DB Anderson & Sheppard suits, spread collars, small four-in-hand tie knot, and (generally) captoe bals in black or burgundy. He's not the most stylish dresser ever, but he is always correctly and appropriately dressed--rarely underdressed, but also not often overdressed. Which is more than can be said of most men.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
His style is not precisely my style, but I like and respect the fact that he has taken a look and made it his own, staying with it for 40+ years. DB Anderson & Sheppard suits, spread collars, small four-in-hand tie knot, and (generally) captoe bals in black or burgundy. He's not the most stylish dresser ever, but he is always correctly and appropriately dressed--rarely underdressed, but also not often overdressed. Which is more than can be said of most men.

While I agree on most points, I just cannot help finding his wardrobe so unutterably dull! Everything is gray, he shows none of the flare or panache of his fore-bearers. I find it so very strange....He is usually somewhat under-dressed in my opinion. He just doesn't carry himself with the same elegance and dignity as Albert, the Georges, or of Edward (though Edward was a deplorable person in his personal life). Eh, he just seems rather gray to me, neither here nor there. It could be worse though, he could dress like any of the last three American Presidents (current one included).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I really don't think he had the mentality to craft his own style. He's a build up of other's ideas of conservatism in dress. His shoes are patched in ways that are visible by his request, to show the people he's not out buying expensive new shoes all the time. Now is that a style unto itself? Sure, if you are anti individuality in even the smallest of forms.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I am confounded by the notion that anyone with even a modicum of sartorial knowledge could judge Prince Charles to be anything other than well dressed.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Evan Everhart said:
Everything is gray

He wears his morning suit a lot. Traditionally, they come in the following colours:

grey.

Morning dress with a black coat is more formal and would be less appropriate.

Tomasso said:
I am confounded by the notion that anyone with even a modicum of sartorial knowledge could judge Prince Charles to be anything other than well dressed.

I agree entirely.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:

I agree, too.
Although...
Evan Everhart said:
While I agree on most points, I just cannot help finding his wardrobe so unutterably dull!

This reflects his personality and standing- he is a mild-mannered,
quiet type.
One would never wish to "stand out".

B
T

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
If you don't like the gray, there's a thread at xmarksthescot.com about Prince Charle's kilts and kilt outfits. There's a lot of colour there, to be sure. I particularly like his kilt outfits, he's got some killer kilt hose, but I like his suits as well. I've noticed he likes creased jacket sleeves, which makes him stand out rather subtley.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Everything reflects personality... if it didn't we wouldn't be here.

I just think he reflects other people's personalities more than his own. Less Mountbatten and more the general ideal of an Englishman of the current times that must be trapped in a suit and now and again a kilt.

you can say that's well dressed, yet here in the states I say it's droll! He has no sense of himself!

If Mountbatten it is!

Where is Charles???????

WHERE OH WHERE IS CHARLES??????????

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Evan Everhart said:
I just cannot help finding his wardrobe so unutterably dull! Everything is gray, he shows none of the flare or panache of his fore-bearers.
To be fair, you really need to consider his wardrobe in toto.

prince+charles.jpg

PrinceCharlesReturns.jpg

prince-charles-300x245.jpg

new_zealand_monarchy.jpg

prince-charles-awi-10.jpg

article-0-07214A9A000005DC-490_468x635.jpg

prince-charles-in-kilt.jpg

3a5c6219-9120-57e9-b2bb-f32d867f2ea0.image.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
I love the understated Englishness of his style, though a bit more variety would be nice. I'm rather partial to grey myself.

davestlouis

Practically Family
As a person who wears a charcoal suit at least 6 days a week, I have no qualms about the prince wearing a lot of gray...more power to him. I must comment that he has aged well...he was an awkward, geeky, big eared young man, but he has aged into a distinguished-looking mature gentleman. At least he combs his (thinning) hair...those sons of his have their hair on end half the time, looking like a mess. I'll be curious to see if either boy develops a signature style of their own as they mature and settle into adulthood.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Tomasso, that's an old photo, I hope. The plaid collar would suggest that's at a polo match or somesuch. In a sense, I feel sorry for people like him, thrust into a really strange lifestyle through an accident of birth. I know he's rich as can be, but none of that matters...I wouldn't trade my screwy life for his screwy life on a bet.

Anyway, I wonder how many suits he owns...

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Without a doubt

Without a doubt the man dresses absolutely impeccable and regal. I just looked an array of photos. I absolutely couldn't fault any of his wardrobe but I can't help to feel that he wasn't wearing his clothes but in fact he was playing dress up. Also, his face seems miserable not kingly and royal. There is nothing wrong with Ole English/Whales ole boy classic suits but poor Charlie boy looks miserable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21