Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prisoner Pants

4444Design

One of the Regulars
that was a Long way to go:
'bout 2 years ago i started Investigation for a manufacturer of prisoner Pants coz i think that's the garment for rindin' my motorbike

after some time i finally found 3 companies producing them - 2 in Japan and 1 in Thailand

sent out several emails to the different companies but never ever received any Feedback - tried in english first - then with the Google translator still nothin'

after some time i heard that one of my fellows had to move to Japan for work for some months and i asked him for Support ...

Long Story short: after 2 years i finally received 2 prisoner Pants - one from Japan which is a perfect fit - another one ordered in the same size from Thailand which is way too small

anyway - see attached some pics (think shape and cut are period correct for this Forum)

anyone of you knows any other - quicker and easier to get in touch source anywhere in the states or europe?

that's the THAI-Version

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
Pure Blue Japan do them, albeit in Indigo and black. I found them on Rakuten, but sizes 32, 34 and 36 are sold out at present.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/pure-blue-japan/1125/

1125-1.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
^^^^ We prefer to think of them as "performance awards" for certain types of individuals. :D

The way I drive, I must stay south of the Red River (Oklahoma/Texas border); otherwise IXL might nab me and issue me a pair of those prison pants gratis state of Oklahoma. :eeek:

Dav

One Too Many
I think they look pretty good, especially with the bike, no sure I'd wear them myself though!

Thinking about it, I definitely wouldn't wear them, but I still think they look good.

Edward

Bartender
They have a certain Tim Burton / Beetlejuice appeal. Fun.

Tim Burton was exactly what they called to mind for me; wide, black and white stripes (both vertical and hoops) are a recurring motif of his; I think they appear in just about every film he's ever made, in some shape or form. I like these too; back in the day they'd probably have made a nice variation from the bondage trousers for me. As it is, I can't see them fitting in with my wardrobe nowadays, though a plain black or plain white (or, indeed, any of several other colours) pair would be nice. I like the pattern.

That was a rather unfortunate coincidence. I don't believe that, on the part of the clothing company, this was anything other than a complete coincidence, but once the link has been made, it's inevitable that it would become controversial. The thing with the zara top, though, was the combination of both the six-pointed sheriff's star (bearing the word sheriff, and the ball-ends on the points), and the striped fabric (albeit hoops rather than vertical stripes; From memory, the Auschwitz uniforms were a darkish, greyish blue). Absent either of those, and it loses that association entirely. The trousers in the OP, for me, call to mind a Chaplin short I recently saw, where he plays an escaped convict... which ,of course, is the explicit design reference.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Mebbe you can get away with wearing those pants over there... If I were to wear them it'd probably be a race to see who could arrest/shoot me first. I'm scary enough to people without adding sauce for the goose.

Worf

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed with Edward. It's the combination of the stripes AND a yellow star. Breton stripes alone are a classic and I love them.

A childhood friend of mine used to sell clothing to the county prison work camps here in GA.
I have a complete set, shirt, pants, hat. Used them for Halloween = I dressed like the warden, wife went as prisoner, lots of comments...
I did have a pair of pants that I wore thru college to class, even road rapid transit to get there.
I got lots of looks on the bus, never had a law enforcement officer look at me twice. Guess a college kid with a book bag on the bus isn't an escapee-looking perp???

thor

One Too Many
Just don't wear an orange jump-suit! In the US many prisons have their inmates wear orange scrubs or a one-piece jump suit. I know someone who was doing dirty work at a boatyard wearing a surplus German Air Force orange flightsuit and someone called the local police (who promptly rolled up, sirens wailing and guns drawn!); they sorted it all out but it was quite a scene!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Agreed with Edward. It's the combination of the stripes AND a yellow star. Breton stripes alone are a classic and I love them.

Can't beat the Breton stripes; I discovered them in my late teens because Joey Ramone... Never looked back.

I got lots of looks on the bus, never had a law enforcement officer look at me twice. Guess a college kid with a book bag on the bus isn't an escapee-looking perp???

Ha, probably not.... mind you, it's not so long ago I had to do my best to blend in on flights between Belfast and London to avoid the "random" search. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21