Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Private Purchase Aero c. 1942-3

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought a "Civilian" Aero A2 in a size 44 from Paul Sanders on Ebay. The jacket is identical to an issued Aero apart from the spec label and the knits (they may in fact be replacements with the stitch holes on the lining). The leather has a great vintage patina. It was worn by Capt Omar Noles. I contacted the Captain Noles' son and here is part of the reply;

My father was an aide to General Omar Bradley during World War II. He was not a USAAF pilot but flew all over Europe with General Bradley and as my father said many times to us kids, it got pretty cold in a lot of the Aircraft so the general had all his staff in flight jackets.

So I guess Noles bought the A2 direct from Aero as he was not eligible for an issued A2..

It is rare to find an Aero A2 with a civilian label in it. The jacket needed some work doing to, but the leather is sound with no holes.Here are some pics from Ebay.

121808102.jpg

121808104.jpg

121808107.jpg

121808108.jpg

121808109.jpg

121808110.jpg

121808115.jpg

121808117.jpg

121808118.jpg

121808119.jpg

aswatland

I have now finished restoring the Aero. I have put on ELC Berry knits, fixed the pockets with 1940s thread and mended the lining. The jacket is very supple now after two light coats of Pecards. The HH is thin and quite similar to that used by Poughkeepsie. It has areas of pronounced grain. All in all its a very nice jacket and will get some wear when it warms up over here. It complements my dark seal W535ac21996 Aero which also has berry knits and is also a size 44.

017-16.jpg

018-14.jpg

019-14.jpg

020-15.jpg

021-12.jpg

022-10.jpg

023-11.jpg

aswatland

jamespibworth@n said:
Interesting jacket Andrew.

Thanks for showing us.

The new knits look good, what’s the fit like, I seem to remember you were a 42?

James.

Thanks James. I wear a 42 or a 44 in an original. My repro A2s are modern 42s and this equates to a 44 in an original.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Both this mornings new jackets are fantastic examples. I don't always comment, but I always avidly follow your collection.
Before restoration, was the leather hardened or badly dried?

aswatland

scotrace said:
Both this mornings new jackets are fantastic examples. I don't always comment, but I always avidly follow your collection.
Before restoration, was the leather hardened or badly dried?

The leather was supple on both jackets, but more supple now! They are rather nice and most comfortable to wear. I'm not a fan of close fitting A2s.

Burnsie

Beautiful restoration - hard to believe anyone with $9.98 could have had one of these beautiful jackets back then!
aero.jpg

aswatland

Burnsie said:
Beautiful restoration - hard to believe anyone with $9.98 could have had one of these beautiful jackets back then!
aero.jpg

Thanks. Restoring a jacket which needs some TLC is very satisfying when it turns out well. What a sad person i am!:p

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Nice work on the restoration!!

Never feel bad for something that you enjoy!! ;)

By the way, I have been trying to send you a PM but it seems your PM folder is full, might want to erase or archive some of the older messages :)

Cheers,

Bruce

aswatland said:
Thanks. Restoring a jacket which needs some TLC is very satisfying when it turns out well. What a sad person i am!:p

Edward

Bartender
Great looking jacket.... and a really intersting insight especially, I think, for those of us whose experience is primarily with reproductions, insofar as this sort of civilian / private purchase jacket represents the roots of the repro market.

I wonder how much that $9.98 would be in relative terms today, i.e. in real terms was that a bargain, or do our repros come cheaper now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24