Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

project runway hair piece?

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
i was not sure what to call this, but i have been into watching project runway and there is a designer on there and her name is Kenley Collins, she's got a more retro look but she always has this cute hair pin/comb that's got feathers on it, im not sure what it's called but i think they are way cute and i was hopeing that some one would know what they are called or how to find them.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Another option if your the crafty sort is making one yourself. I've made a few and they are fairly simple. If you have a Michaels in your area or a similar craft store, you can find feathers, and such. I used plastic combs or wave clips to as the anchor.

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Odalisque said:
Another option if your the crafty sort is making one yourself. I've made a few and they are fairly simple. If you have a Michaels in your area or a similar craft store, you can find feathers, and such. I used plastic combs or wave clips to as the anchor.

I'd love to make one of those! WHere would you get a cheap plastic comb thing (like in the pic below)? I got one at Sally's (it wasn't plastic tho and it had a simple row of "diamonds" as a design on the rim) and it cost me $5!!:eek: FOR ONE! I wondered why my total was so high (I bought 2)...

il_430xN.33297254.jpg

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Vix Vixen said:
I'd love to make one of those! WHere would you get a cheap plastic comb thing? I got one at Sally's and it cost me $5!!:eek: FOR ONE! I wondered why my total was so high (I bought 2)...

Wow $5! I like Sally's but goodness, they can be overpriced sometimes.
I got mine at Michaels. A pack of four is a couple bucks. Usually, they have them in the wedding section. They also have these neat feather things. I forget what they are called but they are perfect for hairpieces.
Kiss%2BCurl%2BCopper%2BPheasant%2BFeather%2BFascinator.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
These are the best combs! They won't fall out. I have made a couple fascinators with them. I did like the picture. I used a piece of felt and sewed the comb on. Then hot glue the feathers. Hobby Lobby is good for feathers. And the combs I get at Ulta, $2.99

2065011.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Ohh ladies.. this sounds like a fun project!

I saw the 5$ clips at Sally's the other day and was soo tempted to buy them and I turned away real quick! LOL

We could make them and it would be cheaper!

I try to be creative.. so i just recently made my own flowers... for the first time.. they came out pretty nice.. and I spent the amount I would pay for one.. and made 7!!

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
thank you all so much, i had a feeling all i had to do was ask and you would know what i was talking about!.
im going to make some this week! i will let you all know once im done. thank you again

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Oh wow, this is the best thread!

I love fascinators and why it never occurred to me to make them, I'm not sure.

You ladies are very bad for my wallet! shhhhhhhh

Great idea though, thank you!

~Danielle

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Kenley (or whoever she bought them from) probably attached the feathers to barrettes rather than combs, since she wore them with straight hair.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Michaels is fun!

I like creating things...I made a rose and feather thing for my hair to match the red roses I tacked onto a black velvet dress...so easy and a lot cheaper then paying someone to do a 5 sec job. ;)

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Bump!

So I got out the glue gun today and attacked an old broken hair bauble with feathers. This is what I ended up with:

(ignore my messy hair)
IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

The plastic "stone" fell out of this hair pin so I replaced it with "pearl" beads. Unfortunately I'm not so great with the glue gun so some hot glue is visible. Oh well, I'll still wear it.

I've got a few hair combs that I want to try and transform and I am planning on using peacock feathers!

I love this thread. Has anyone else made anything?

kyda

One of the Regulars
I think I am going to have to dig out the glue gun and make a trip to my local craft store. I have a wedding to go to in two weeks and I need some new hair "pretties". Thanks for the idea's :) :) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Inky

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
I've got a few hair combs that I want to try and transform and I am planning on using peacock feathers!

I love this thread. Has anyone else made anything?

I think it turned out great, ClaraB! Perfect interpretation of Make Do and Mend!

I made a few hair fascinators (the two on the left) and a brooch (far right) last November out of peacock feathers and some old buttons. I just wish I had more occasion to wear such pretties in my hair!

3038897914_d729888abc.jpg

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Inky, those are beautiful and I love the button idea! I really like the feather in your middle arrangement (I think it is a pheasant feather?), paired with the button it looks very vintage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana