Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

Story

I'll Lock Up
DiCaprio as the young TR (viciously lampooned as an Eastern 'dude' when he first showed up out west) might actually turn out better than expected, since that period of his life was all about the transformation of his image.

thro25.jpg

He entered the New York state assembly in 1881 at age twenty-three, having overcome poor health just like his idol Abraham Lincoln. He still appeared unmanly, and newspapers and his fellow assemblymen ridiculed his "squeaky" voice and dandified clothing, referring to him as "Jane-Dandy," "Punkin-Lily," and "our own Oscar Wilde." The New York World proclaimed him "chief of the dudes." Duly insulted, he began to construct a new physical image around appropriately virile Western decorations and settings, foregrounding the bodily attributes of a robust outdoorsman that were becoming new features in the nation's political iconography.
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/876071.html

theodore_roosevelt.jpg

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
John Dillinger look-like actor

Hi,

I just finished watching A Pocket Full Of Miracles staring Glen Ford, and it struck me that he was a dead ringer for Dillinger (or pretty close) too bad he never played Dillinger in a good flick.

Tony

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was disappointed when I saw this movie in the cinema. Bad camera work (or maybe wannabe artsy fartsy) and not much suspense. I never had the feeling be involved because the protagonists where too "cool".

Typical Hollywood mistake for my opinion.

Story

I'll Lock Up
I never knew Dillinger roamed down to Tuscon.

http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2010/03/07/life/local/doc4b92ae61adf5f038425588.txt

...the Hotel Congress is best known as the hideout of notorious bank robber John Dillinger — America’s first Public Enemy No. 1 — and his gang. Forced to flee their third-story rooms when a fire broke out in the hotel’s basement in January 1934, Dillinger brazenly paid two firefighters to carry the gang’s unusually heavy luggage outside.

Unknown to the firemen, the bags contained submachine guns, bulletproof vests and almost $24,000 in cash. After retrieving their suitcases, Dillinger and company moved to a house in another part of the city. Not long after, they were captured when a fan of detective magazines — some accounts claim it was one of the previously duped firefighters — read an article about the gang’s exploits, recognized some of its members and contacted police.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
I never knew Dillinger roamed down to Tuscon.

http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2010/03/07/life/local/doc4b92ae61adf5f038425588.txt

...the Hotel Congress is best known as the hideout of notorious bank robber John Dillinger — America’s first Public Enemy No. 1 — and his gang. Forced to flee their third-story rooms when a fire broke out in the hotel’s basement in January 1934, Dillinger brazenly paid two firefighters to carry the gang’s unusually heavy luggage outside.

Unknown to the firemen, the bags contained submachine guns, bulletproof vests and almost $24,000 in cash. After retrieving their suitcases, Dillinger and company moved to a house in another part of the city. Not long after, they were captured when a fan of detective magazines — some accounts claim it was one of the previously duped firefighters — read an article about the gang’s exploits, recognized some of its members and contacted police.

Bryan Burrough details that episode in his book, Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933–34. :)
Rob

Levallois

Practically Family
Tucson has a little celebration down around the Hotel Congress called "Dillinger Days" that they hold every January celebrating Johnnie's capture. People bring their old cars and get dressed up for it. Looks like fun. One of these days I'll make it there.

John

Levallois

Practically Family
I liked it in the theater but I like it more on Blue Ray at home. It's clearer than in the theater (not as dark) and I can actually hear what people are saying.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner