Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pullover Shirts

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
In my endless quest for British Colonial style gear, I've been trying to find some pullover style shirts, like the shirt Allan Quatemain is wearing here:
1950ksm1.JPG
. (IndyFrench, I hope you don't mind me referencing your pic here).

The British khaki drill uniform in WWII was an aertex pullover, which I picked up from WPG. It's a good shirt, but has some awkward tailoring aspects. The German also wore a khaki pullover, but I haven't gone that route yet. I know Cabela's has their Badlands Pullover, but I'd like something with the more safari feel, like the scalloped pocket flaps, or bullet loops, etc.

Any suggestions?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That's it!

Yup, just what I was looking for, though your original thread does express some of my reservations. Not to inflame that discussion again, but I just like the shirt! That's one reason I was hoping for something along the line of Stewart Granger's shirt, i.e. evoking the military/safari look without any subtext.

I visited 1944 Militaria, and they currently don't have the desert version in stock. I found one at Replicators, but their site is horrendous to navigate. The picture I linked to above is their shirt. The advantage is they custom tailor, and for only $47. That'd be nice since I either end up with sleeves that ride up or when the sleeves are long enough I could hide a side of beef in the body of the shirt.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mine is from-
http://www.lomax-militaria.de

The pictured shirt at Replicators' site is actually 1944Militaria's, although Replicators' don't supply him... (aaaah...is that what you meant..?)

I really like my mustard DAK shirt, I have a grey/blue Wehr. one too.
Lomax don't seem to have the DAK ones at present. I also have their '$$' shirt in the same colour and cloth too- coat style, sans pockets. I want some matching trou.

I spied a late '30s Italian tropical helmet being used as a prop in a travel agency's window display today... might have to grab it...

I really like the detailing of this shirt- much prefer it to the watered-down modern varieties.
I like 'khakis' but the khaki has to have some 'colour' in it, rather than the washed-out grey/sand/bone type...
...Know what I mean..?

I'll see what else I can dig up- I have a lot of links on my other computer...:rolleyes:

B
T

Mojave Jack

One Too Many

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Mojave Jack...

I DID find something 'nice' from the Bellytank archives- may not be right up your street(but it should be perhaps, given the era and theatre).

Check out the shirts on this Italian WW2 reenactor vendor site.

http://www.italianfront.com/reprobdutops.htm

Actually...

M39reproKKIshirt.front2.jpg

A pretty nice price- (?¢‚Äö¬¨50/$60).
I hear only good things about this vendor's uniform items.
I may have to pur-chase one. There are many things I like on that site actually...

Italian style- huh?
I like it a lot.

Fancy a Sahariana too..? Maybe one with a collar though.

Enjoy-

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave,
How about this one from Lost Battalions? A better shot of the pocket details are located here. I bought one from last year and got one made from linen in n interesting green shade. I believe colors and materials vary according to what they have on hand, but they will be in the range of what would be appropriate.

If you want, I'll take a picture of mine and post it.

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Good one!- LB make excellent gear too-

That hirt is the same model as mine, pictured a couple of posts back but mine is from a german vendor.

Their knit pullover shirts are great too.

The older military shirts have a really nice cut to them.

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Good one!- LB make excellent gear too-

That hirt is the same model as mine, pictured a couple of posts back but mine is from a german vendor.

Their knit pullover shirts are great too.

The older military shirts have a really nice cut to them.

B
T

Thanks, I really like mine. Since I'm just down the road from them, I'm thinking about giving them a call tomorrow and see if they can fill a couple of gaps in my DAK outfit. I'm really hoping that they finally assembled a few troppenhelm. I'm a sucker for sun helmets.

That Italian Front shirt looks great too. I almost ordered a sahariana from them last year, but chickened out at the last minute. The idea of waiting for 3 months and not having dealt with this vendor before gave me a bit of pause. Are you saying that you can recommend him?

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well- I can't personally recommend him- but I've eyeballed some of his gear at shows in England and he is a real craftsman of the non-mass-production/due care and attention breed. He does custom and one-off work, which is nice- low volume and high quality from my understanding.

I have seen solid excellent feedback with the odd weirdo's negative feedback thrown in- here-

http://www.greendevils.com/greendevils/Consumer/vendor_list_reviews.asp?varID=124&varERAID=7

-where he has a rating of 9.29- if that means anything.
I'll patronise him when I can afford to.

Keep an open mind- the best gear isn't' necessarily' made in the US- as we know, much of it is imported-
LB excluded.

B
T

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BT, that's a great site! I really like a lot of those options. The shirts look perfect, and a lot of the jackets are really unique and cool. The M40 sahariana is a pretty cool take on the average safari jacket, and the M40 camiciotto sahariano pullover is really interesting. I also really like the M40 "Giubba a Vento." I've always been a fan of anoraks, and that is a neat take on the idea.

Why can't we have uniforms as sharp as these in todays military! I've always lamented giving up my Marine Corps dress blues went I went into the Air Force. The latest incarnation of the Air Force dress uiforms resembles nothing so much as a really cheap JC Penny polyester suit. It hangs like a blue potato sack with shiny bits on the collar. Very sad.

Baggers, I like the German shirt, too. Can you post a few pics of yours? I'm with you on the solar topees, too. I'd love a troppenhelm someday, but the originals are all either beat to death, or way out of my price range. How close are you to completely your Afrika Korps uniform? How do you like the shirt overall? Anything you would change or they could have done better?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yeh- I really like the Italian gear too but I'd prefer the Sahariana to have a collar. There were Saharianas in jacket styles and in Bush shirt styles- here's a shirt style one (ss)which might be up your street-

S07949full.jpg

...and a privately tailored Pilot's version-

ger034.jpg

All this Italian talk reminds me of an excellent (comedy/romance/...)film from 1991 called "Mediterraneo"; set in WW2, a small detachment of Italian soldiers/sailors are sent to a small greek island..., it's interesting what happens- a great film indeed!

I'm an anorak Anorak too Jack- some of the WW2 vintage ones are really nice(especially the German Gebirgsjägers Windbluse )- I have a couple of British 'SAS' anoraks- one in sand/khaki and one green. They're basically like a pullover bush jacket with a hood.

Actually, along with the DAK shirt I bought from Lomax Militaria in Germany, I also got a grey/green service shirt in the same pattern and also a pocketless button-through tan one too.

I'm sure one of the vendors makes a Sahariana...(?)

OK- I'll stop now

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
Belly Tank, it goes without saying that most of the good gear is imported with the exception of LB and perhaps At the Front (and even he has his share of imported stuff as well). Heck, between Aero, Wested, and Eastman for leather jackets, Lawrence Ordnance in Australia for certain commonwealth items, as well as What Price Glory in California (he gets almost all of his merchandise from Pakistan along with some from Sanjay in India probably :) ), and a few others over the years, I've probably sent more money around the world than I'd care to talk about. After all, gold is where you find it. I just haven't built up the nerve to purchase from Italian Front -- yet.

But speaking of Lost Battalions, I took a drive over there today and picked up a pair of german M40 tropical breeches to add to my DAK uniform. Did you say you're an anorak afficionado? They have some heer gebirgsjager windbluses in stock that you might like. They were hanging on the high rack out of reach, but they're the reversible tan to white style and just might tickle your fancy. also had some windjacke that looked nice as well. As for sahariana, all they had were a few large size M43 SS tropical bluses with the spanish/italian style yoke in a bright sand yellow. I mentioned that they ought to try an italian model but got no reaction. I'm going back next week when they say they'll have the latest run of their DAK tropical jackets finished out. I may pick up one in a smaller size from the one I already have, plus one of the other items I've already mentioned. ;)

And Mojave, you want some pics of my german shirt and are wondering how far along I am with my DAK impression? Well stand by, and you'll see just what I've gotten so far. Look for some pictures in a separate thread tomorrow! I'm such a tease...:cool:

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
WPG definitely sells Sanjay's gear- the Denisons and the Khaki and Aertex gear are his, as well as at least the British, brown Officer boots.

I really like the Gebirgs Anoraks but the price is out of reach for me at present and the practicality... only slight.

I'm looking for a nice pair of Tan-ish Khaki Afrika style trousers and may well get Sanjay to make me a hybrid of British and German-

I was set to visit Sanjay in Kanpoor on my last visit to India but the timing was out and I missed him. I think he's bound for greatness- he just needs to work with customers on specific detailing. He definitely has the ability and definitely the materials but one problem he needs to overcome is overall quality and the Indian and mass- production mentality (scrimping for some extra margin is bred into the culture but he needs to meet demands for quiality). His custom tailoring is great but the run of the mill items and his mass markets could benefit greatly from a little extra care and attention and of course- pure cotton thread.

I noticed over the last couple of years that ATF has dropped his '...south of the border crap...' and 'proudly... in the USA by real Americans' BS- now that he imports from Asia- chuckle...

I look forward to seeing your gear too Baggers!

Hi ho!

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
Okay, so it's massively off-topic...

I chickened out on the separate thread for this mainly because I was afraid of loungers making the inevitable "nazi" remarks, and also because this really isn't my area of expertise since I only dabble in the German stuff if it comes near to my main interest in the Desert War and pre war desert explorers. All this, plus the fact that the pictures turned out rather badly this time.

So, without further fuss, my humble DAK uniform:

DAKUniform01.jpg

Achtung, baby! :cool:

And just to try and keep things vaguely on topic, here's a shot of the pullover shirt from Lost Battalions:

DAKUniform03.jpg

Sorry these came out so overexposed. If there's any further interest, I can try a reshoot on another day with better lighting.

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Very good indeed!
And very brave of you to do so- considering(what you said).

Which trousers are they(model) and where are they from..?

Interest in Pre-War Desert Explorers eh...? Me too...

Any good www links you could shoot my way for some images and information?
It'd be much appreciated.

Seems you share more than a few interests with me... and MojaveJack too of course. But I don't live near any Desert and the both of you do.
Lucky people...

Well done- I'd like to see some more detail pics of the shirt and trou if you can. The shirt looks really good, as do the pants, which I'm interested in seeing more of.

Cheers!

B
T

Baggers

Practically Family
Thanks, BT. I don't know how brave it is. Hopefully there are only a few people that will see it and have some adverse reaction. And as for harming my reputation in the real world, it's not like I'm wearing an SS uniform with full insignia. Anyone who's going to get bent out of shape over it needs to seriously try to find a life.

Sorry the trousers didn't show well enough. They're the breeches I got from Lost Battalions yesterday. I also have a pair of the long straight leg trousers and the shorts, but since I had the high boots I couldn't resist wearing them.

Desert explorers? My dear man, my screen name is a nickname for Major Ralph Bagnold! I'd always been interested in the Desert War and the LRDG, but after reading "The Lost Oasis," I discovered just how wrong "the English Patient" had been and that Almasy's true story was actually more interesting. It went downhill from there...:)

As for links, I'm afraid that beyond what was mentioned in the Desert War thread, I haven't found much. Frankly, I'd love to see if I could get a look at the original charts and journals of Bagnold and Co. if they can still be accessed at the RGS. I can always dream...

Mojave actually lives in a desert. I'm a day's hard drive from the nearest one to me on the U.S./Mexican border. I can't speak for Mojave, but I know I just have a strong interest in vast, open spaces. Mountain or Desert, hot or cool, just give me a far uncluttered horizon to look at and I'm happy.

I'll take some inside shots of the shirt and breeches tonight and post them tomorrow.

Cheers!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
AWSOME, the only thing that even kind of says german is the hat, with the Topee who would know.I just got a pair of 1941 pattern British shorts(WPG) today and the cut is great high waisted and long inseam. I'll try to get a pic this weekend suited Desert appropriate. I like the boots too, are they from one of the foreign vendors? I wouldn't worry about Nazi remarks. Alot of the best soldiers in WWI and WWII weren't haters, just good patriots doing what their mother land asked of them.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk