Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchasing directly from Aero

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am planning a purchase directly from Aero.
If I have a jacket shipped to my U.S.A. address, can I expect customs charges??
Thanks

Colin G

One Too Many
I know for Canada I worked out Thurston Bros vs buying direct from Aero.

It worked out cheaper buying from Aero direct and I factored in exchange rate and import taxes.

If I buy another Aero, I'll go direct next time.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have gone both ways, and for me Thurston is the way to go, especially with a US address. The biggest problem in buying online is nailing the fit. Using Carrie and Wade, there is no worry over the fit as they will send a test jacket. You can then take pictures, send the pics to Carrie and discuss the fit over the phone. Both Wade and Carrie are very knowledgeable and easy to work with. Plus she is cute.

sweetfights

I have gone both ways, and for me Thurston is the way to go, especially with a US address. The biggest problem in buying online is nailing the fit. Using Carrie and Wade, there is no worry over the fit as they will send a test jacket. You can then take pictures, send the pics to Carrie and discuss the fit over the phone. Both Wade and Carrie are very knowledgeable and easy to work with. Plus she is cute.

True.

sweetfights

I know for Canada I worked out Thurston Bros vs buying direct from Aero.

It worked out cheaper buying from Aero direct and I factored in exchange rate and import taxes.

If I buy another Aero, I'll go direct next time.

Thank you.
I was going to have it shipped to my USA Niagara Falls address then cross the border to pick up.

sweetfights

Have any of our brother's in the USA had to pay customs coming directly from Aero in Scotland??

Peacoat

Bartender
It has been so long now that I don't remember if I paid customs from Aero. Don't think I did. Nor do I think I paid customs from Thurston either. It may all have been included in the quoted price. Ask Carrie; she will know.

walds11

New in Town

I can vouch for this as I recently made my first TB Aero purchase. We exchanged many emails and the process was smooth as butter.

If I’m not mistaken, Carrie is Dick Van Dyke’s daughter :)

Colin G

One Too Many
Thank you.
I was going to have it shipped to my USA Niagara Falls address then cross the border to pick up.

I'd still do the math to be certain. If by post there will be a minimal duty fee. You'll just get hit with gst/hst.

Just don't use UPS. There will be a $70 CAD brokerage fee plus taxes. You can also choose to broker your own package and UPS can go jump off a cliff.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'd still do the math to be certain. If by post there will be a minimal duty fee. You'll just get hit with gst/hst.

Just don't use UPS. There will be a $70 CAD brokerage fee plus taxes. You can also choose to broker your own package and UPS can go jump off a cliff.
Aero use DHL.

powersci

One of the Regulars
Have any of our brother's in the USA had to pay customs coming directly from Aero in Scotland??

Yes! Ordered a jacket direct from them twice and received a bill from DHL. DHL paid the customs fee on my behalf to ensure the delivery was made on time. I ended up returning the jacket. To get the customs fee returned you have to deal with the govt and it is not an easy process.

saculer

Familiar Face
Not as bad for Canada as UPS but DHL will also make you pay up here, plus taxes ect.

Canadians get the royal shaft when it comes to postage and import taxes. Cable and cell fees also.

I’m sorry but you are mistaken.

Australia easily owns that particular world first award.

Odd...I would have guessed the Commonwealth realms would have some sort of free trade "special relationship" or something. I just looked up shipping costs for sending a jacket from the middle of the US to the UK and it didn't look as bad as all that. (Though I probably missed something).

On topic though, at my level of Jacketology - and since I am a US resident, of course - it has been well worth my while paying Thurston a bit of a premium over Aero's direct pricing. This is principally due to their high level of competence and intimate familiarity with Aero's product line specifically. Add to this that they have a bit of an inside line to the factory, they get pre-reserved production slots for their customers, there are fluctuations in currency exchange, they cover the cost of at least one-way shipping of a fit garment, Seattle is much closer to my time zone, and maybe most of all...they diligently answer all three-thousand of my anxious, hand-wringing, quarter-inch-second-guessing emails - patiently, graciously, instructively, and often more than a few times in the same day! They do this unfailingly every time I get another "Gonna make me look 10 years younger and 10 times cooler" jacket idea.

Of course, you guys that are a lot farther along in the knowledge curve than I am and/or are outside Thurston's sphere, well, by all means contact Aero. They are really lovely folks too.

sweetfights

Odd...I would have guessed the Commonwealth realms would have some sort of free trade "special relationship" or something. I just looked up shipping costs for sending a jacket from the middle of the US to the UK and it didn't look as bad as all that. (Though I probably missed something).

On topic though, at my level of Jacketology - and since I am a US resident, of course - it has been well worth my while paying Thurston a bit of a premium over Aero's direct pricing. This is principally due to their high level of competence and intimate familiarity with Aero's product line specifically. Add to this that they have a bit of an inside line to the factory, they get pre-reserved production slots for their customers, there are fluctuations in currency exchange, they cover the cost of at least one-way shipping of a fit garment, Seattle is much closer to my time zone, and maybe most of all...they diligently answer all three-thousand of my anxious, hand-wringing, quarter-inch-second-guessing emails - patiently, graciously, instructively, and often more than a few times in the same day! They do this unfailingly every time I get another "Gonna make me look 10 years younger and 10 times cooler" jacket idea.

Of course, you guys that are a lot farther along in the knowledge curve than I am and/or are outside Thurston's sphere, well, by all means contact Aero. They are really lovely folks too.

Carrie is Queen of patiently answering questions. Stellar client services- She does take care.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112