Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purple Knit Colors on Vintage A-2s

thekiyote

Familiar Face
So, I put my name into the queue for a goodwear, and only have about 18 months to figure out what jacket I really want, so naturally I've been scrounging John's site and the rest of internet for any pictures I could find.

One thing I noticed is that some have jackets with a purple or red knit. For you A-2 history buffs, were these knits common, found only in certain contracts, or were these non-contract details requested by the customer?

In John's photos, this of a Dubow 1755, they don't seem to be that purple:

Image_06.jpg

But in the customer's personal shot, you can really notice it, which I kind of life:

IMG_0542_zps0b8e5b3c.jpg

If anybody has experience with this color, which picture is more true-to-life?

devilish

A-List Customer
If I were too get another A-2 from John, I would be very tempted to put the purple knits on it. No matter if it were contract correct or not? I love that seal brown/purple colour combination.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm certainly going for Dubow of some flavour - the purple knits are pushing me towards one of the later contracts but I also like the slim fit of the 23379. I'm not sure how far apart the two are in terms of the pattern. Maybe Andrew can tell us?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Aero knits are more berry red, whereas Dubow knits are more dull purple and get my vote by a landslide

Reactions: A-1

thekiyote

Familiar Face
If I were too get another A-2 from John, I would be very tempted to put the purple knits on it. No matter if it were contract correct or not? I love that seal brown/purple colour combination.

Yeah, part of me is thinking the same thing, but I also like the idea of having an A-2 that is a faithful reproduction. Well, I have a year and a half to make up my mind.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm certainly going for Dubow of some flavour - the purple knits are pushing me towards one of the later contracts but I also like the slim fit of the 23379. I'm not sure how far apart the two are in terms of the pattern. Maybe Andrew can tell us?

The Dubow 23379 was a transitional design as the earlier ones in the contract had collar stands. Apart from that the pattern is much the same as the later 27798 jackets. They did not have purple knots though!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Good to know it's a pretty fine difference. I do like the purple knits! Is there any explanation as to why purple was chosen? Does seem an oddly un-military colour.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I believe the Dubow 27798 jackets had either brown or purple knits. Could have been due to the large contract for these jackets right at the time the airforce was in rapid expansion and the inevitable war time shortage of materials. They just used what was available.
Good to know it's a pretty fine difference. I do like the purple knits! Is there any explanation as to why purple was chosen? Does seem an oddly un-military colour.

devilish

A-List Customer
Yeah, part of me is thinking the same thing, but I also like the idea of having an A-2 that is a faithful reproduction. Well, I have a year and a half to make up my mind.

The only reason I would do this is I already have two Good Wears and they are both Dubow's (without purple knits) so I would probably opt for a contract from a different maker. Or maybe a USN flight jacket with their purple-ish knits?

As for why purple at all? As the saying goes 'Close enough for government work'. It's not Prince purple after all. Just a purple tint. As AdeeC says, I'm sure they used what they had.

Last edited:
I have to say that with all the browns I own/have owned, I like the berry and purple knits (as well as Olive, etc) on jackets that have knits. Nice to break things up a bit.
The beauty of the A-2 is that while it seems like they're all the same at first glance, there's so many choices as to make it maddening when your GW ticket comes up!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The contracts for knits were placed by the US Materiel Division. Several knitting mills were successful and used. The yarn was 100% worsted wool and dyed to a shade of colour called "Chelsea Brown". The variation in colour found on knits was due to interpretation by the mills, just as seal brown was interpreted differently by the tanneries.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Jeff M's the man responsible for me getting on the train for a GW, I do miss his contributions here. Has to be said, that GW/BK comparison thread stuck in my memory - didn't he wait close to two years for that remake, just to receive that travesty of a Dubow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto