Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purpose of a stand collar?

green papaya

One Too Many
http://www.anaspides.com/flight jackets.htm

Monarch%2044%20front%20with%20collar%20up.jpg

green papaya

One Too Many
shamus said:
Green;

not quite sure what you're saying? Does it talk about the stand collar?

they dont mention a "stand" collar , they mention the button down snaps though.

I posted the picture of the A2 collar for refference, I would geuss maybe a stand up collar could help protect the pilot's neck area from a fire hazard? or help keep the wind out if he was flying with an open cock pit?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The 'collar stand' is just the same as on a dress shirt- since the A-2 is cut as a shirt(rather than a typical outer garment...), some of the earlier ones included this for a snappier style...
It's the bit where your tie fits on a dress shirt- the 3/4"-ish band between the neck opening and the actual collar. I don't like them on A-2s actually.

B
T

shamus

Suspended
that's what I'm talking about.

So it serves not purpose? Seems like a lot of extra sewing and cutting for nothing.. I guess that's why they stopped doing it.

My aero doesn't have one and I didn't know the reason for it?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I thought

My jacket is a VERY cheap knockoff, but.

There's no stand, and the leather is very soft and floppy. I like to wear the collar up but it just flops anyway. Would a collar stand help the collar stand up? I thought that was the purpose - to allow the collar to be worn up and thus the wind kept out.

Doh!

One Too Many
My A-2's only a few years old, doesn't have the extra leather, but stays up just fine. I'm taking it St. Louis tomorrow for a cold week and will probably be testing this feature in the coming days.

jake431

Practically Family
Theoretically, the collar sat a little higher on the jacket with the stand. This only made any difference when it was new; before too long the collar had relaxed and sat at about the same place as the collar standless A-2's. The nebulous worth of the stand and the extra effort is, I'm sure, why most manufacturers did away with the stand over time.

-Jake

green papaya

One Too Many
I think they did it to prevent the collar from "sagging" to help keep the collar up and giving the uniform a crisper sharper appearance, especially when worn with a shirt and tie, so the collar wont sag and look sloppy with a shirt collar worn underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points