Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Q’s about Lost Worlds J23

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I am looking into Lost Worlds J23 as a new riding jacket. For those who have owned one I have a few questions.

1. Does the quilt lining extend into the sleeves, or is it just in the body?

2. Are the armholes placed high or are they low and wide?

3. How is the range of motion when lifting arms? I ride with 12” apes and have found some jackets don’t work well with having to reach up and out (causes the whole jacket to lift up off shoulders and balloon out).

Please feel free to share any additional info you feel is important.

Thanks in advance

Hh121

Banned
I believe sleeves are lined with heavy nylon. It is kind of difficult for me to raise arms.
4ff8711e287ec6eb50c5fd140b00200c.jpg

Anyone else own / have experience with a Lost Worlds J23?
I had one and while I loved it and thought it was perfectly suited for riding, I preferred my Vanson Model E. the range of motion on the Vanson was just a bit better suited, for me anyway, than the LW. As far as quality of materials goes the LW was superior. For functional use, I just found the E to be more to my liking.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I had one and while I loved it and thought it was perfectly suited for riding, I preferred my Vanson Model E. the range of motion on the Vanson was just a bit better suited, for me anyway, than the LW. As far as quality of materials goes the LW was superior. For functional use, I just found the E to be more to my liking.

I found my old Aero J106 a bit restrictive when it came to grabbing the handlebars of my bike (12" apes). I wouldn't ever get Aero's shoulder gussets again for riding (very little movement). Did you have any problems with raising your arms (reaching out and up), with your LW j23? This will be a riding jacket, so I want to ensure it'll work for riding.

Unfortunately the sizing on my custom Vanson CHP was off and there were some blemishes on the back of the jacket. I was unwilling to wait for another to be made after waiting just days shy of 40 weeks for this one, so I optioned for a refund. Now it's back to the drawing board trying to get a quality, well fitting, riding jacket that has a bit of style as well.

I found my old Aero J106 a bit restrictive when it came to grabbing the handlebars of my bike (12" apes). I wouldn't ever get Aero's shoulder gussets again for riding (very little movement). Did you have any problems with raising your arms (reaching out and up), with your LW j23? This will be a riding jacket, so I want to ensure it'll work for riding.

Unfortunately the sizing on my custom Vanson CHP was off and there were some blemishes on the back of the jacket. I was unwilling to wait for another to be made after waiting just days shy of 40 weeks for this one, so I optioned for a refund. Now it's back to the drawing board trying to get a quality, well fitting, riding jacket that has a bit of style as well.
In comparison to my Aero (similar config to yours) the LW was far less restrictive. The gussets Aero provides are super beautiful but pale in comparison to a full action back. I do believe the LW is a good riding jacket. The laced sides were what ultimately sold me on the model E. I could cinch into a bee's waist on the E, with plenty of room thru the back and shoulders. The LW, even with a belt, wasn't quite as air tight. Shame to hear about your Vanson. I had to return one once as well, many years ago, and thankfully they were gracious about the return.

Last edited:

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I have apes on my road king (16s) and my langlitz is great for it. They ask your riding position when ordering. I have a vanson e that i just picked up and it hasnt quite grown on me the way the ll did. Im not knocking the e, but the langlitz was custom....it should fit better. The bates t2 jacket is supposed to be a j23 lookalike. Im not sure if i want to go with bates or cal leather next. Bates has recently upped their pricing...theyre very proud of their work. Theyre both iconic names. Just throwing those suggestions your way.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Well, I went for it and ordered a J23 from Stuart at Lost Worlds today. Got in just before the '18 price jump. Went with the heavier #10 brass zipper (brass zippers all around), silver snaps, and antique brown fur collar. Should have it in about 5-6 weeks.

Well, I went for it and ordered a J23 from Stuart at Lost Worlds today. Got in just before the '18 price jump. Went with the heavier #10 brass zipper (brass zippers all around), silver snaps, and antique brown fur collar. Should have it in about 5-6 weeks.
Awesome choice!!! That's going to be an absolutely stellar jacket. In my experience Stu never misses his mark and you'll have your jacket not one day past his promised delivery time. Can't wait to check it out.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Awesome choice!!! That's going to be an absolutely stellar jacket. In my experience Stu never misses his mark and you'll have your jacket not one day past his promised delivery time. Can't wait to check it out.

The Buco style D-pocket is my favorite style of jacket, so I have high hopes for this jacket.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well done. I ride and the LW J23 is not at all restrictive. The full action back worked like a dream!!!! Mine was ordered 3.5 oz, black fqhh and was superior in every way. Great choice!!!

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars

Best purchase you will have ever made in your lifetime and probably your kids too. I have an ANJ-4 and it’s a monster. I literally can’t take my eyes off it as it stand on a Valet that got just for it. It’s an impeccable piece of history, craftsmanship and history. Stuart knows what he’s doing so if you tell him your concerns he will advise. People that say the coat is restricting having worn it enough and warmed up the Leathers. Give it a month of daily wear and you won’t even notice you have the damn thing on. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars

Super stoked for you. I want the J24 friggen obsessed over it really. I own an ANJ4 from LW. Best purchase I ever made. Can I see pics of you wearing the J23?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been eyeballing the 24. I also ride with taller apes (Carlini 16” flying apes that actually measure up to around 17-18 inches). Would be interested to know how the jacket handles the bike. Always been why I preferred Vanson but that LW is seriously awesome.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I’ve been eyeballing the 24. I also ride with taller apes (Carlini 16” flying apes that actually measure up to around 17-18 inches). Would be interested to know how the jacket handles the bike. Always been why I preferred Vanson but that LW is seriously awesome.

I have a Vanson model B and find it to be somewhat restrictive when reaching up. The back gussets offer limited mobility. I had a model E a while back which I never should of sold. That thing was wonderful to ride in. I’d buy that jacket back in a heartbeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points