Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question[s] about a Stetson[s]

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Is there anywhere to go to find out what the cost of a Stetson cowboy hat was early on, say from the introduction of The Boss Of The Plains up until World War One?

Pat_H

A-List Customer

Thanks.

I'm curious about the overall price of the hats, which I'll have to adjust for inflation of course, and their relationship to the overall cost of a person's wardrobe. I know that people generally had fewer changes of clothes back then (or certainly pre modern washing machine), so figuring it out is a little bit of a chore.

For that matter, if a person wanted was looking at a good working hat (speaking of cowboy hats), and comparing it to the cost for a good working hat back in the day, how does that pan out? Its not instantly apparent.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Thanks.

I'm curious about the overall price of the hats, which I'll have to adjust for inflation of course, and their relationship to the overall cost of a person's wardrobe. I know that people generally had fewer changes of clothes back then (or certainly pre modern washing machine), so figuring it out is a little bit of a chore.

For that matter, if a person wanted was looking at a good working hat (speaking of cowboy hats), and comparing it to the cost for a good working hat back in the day, how does that pan out? Its not instantly apparent.

Following up a bit, I found some ads from 1915 where Stetsons started at about $3.50 and ranged up to about $6.00. In today's prices, that's actually a price between $88.00 and $152.00. But the hats themselves aren't described, so I don't know if those are cowboy hats or otherwise men's dress hats.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Following up a bit, I found some ads from 1915 where Stetsons started at about $3.50 and ranged up to about $6.00. In today's prices, that's actually a price between $88.00 and $152.00. But the hats themselves aren't described, so I don't know if those are cowboy hats or otherwise men's dress hats.

Well....

If we are looking at early teens and twenties, check out this thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/1900s-stetson-catalog-reprint.94429/

Here's a dealer price list from 1922:

The styles we today would call cowboy hats would have been made in certain grades of felt. Select and Excellent quality we see a lot in bowler and derby hats. I don't recall seeing it used in a western style hat. More often we see No. 1 Quality (which was widely used in many styles) and above. The genuine Boss Raw Edge hats were "not made in less than Nutria quality" though they also offered "an imitation of these shapes in the No. 1x and No. 1 qualities."
20180727_080011-2-jpeg.128559

Last edited:

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Am I reading this right that a No. 1 Quality hat cost $60.00? That would have been over $900 in contemporary greenbacks.

Lew Decker

New in Town
Just curious if anyone has purchased a Nobel Stetson.
And if so do you have any pictures of it from the front?
All pictures i've found are only side pics.
I'm not a fan of a tapered crown and would like to make sure.

Just curious if anyone has purchased a Nobel Stetson.
And if so do you have any pictures of it from the front?
All pictures i've found are only side pics.
I'm not a fan of a tapered crown and would like to make sure.

Use Google to find The Fedora Lounge and then us the google tool to search within the site and select images.

7C580830-8667-4CC9-A8DD-19DA1768A6DB.jpeg

We have a Q&A thread if you have more questions.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

gman41

New in Town
I'm looking at the Stetson site about to purchase an Open Road or Stratoliner and see there are a few versions of each model. Pricing of the most expensive model is easy to figure out it's about the material. My question is how do the others differ and what would you spec out for any similar hat to be worn in a state where it could get wet from rain and snow.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm not up on the details of current Stetsons, but I recommend that you look at the Akubra Campdraft. It has the same dimensions as the Open Road, but comes open crown, so you can crease it as either a western hat or a fedora. It costs less than the Stetson, and the materials/manufacturing quality is comparable - many would say better. It's a VERY popular hat around here, lots of us have them.

gman41

New in Town
I'm not up on the details of current Stetsons, but I recommend that you look at the Akubra Campdraft. It has the same dimensions as the Open Road, but comes open crown, so you can crease it as either a western hat or a fedora. It costs less than the Stetson, and the materials/manufacturing quality is comparable - many would say better. It's a VERY popular hat around here, lots of us have them.

[/URL]

[/URL]
Looks like a six month delivery lead. By that time we'll be back into straw hats for the summer. The exchange rate is in favor for US buyers for sure and I will look for some photos of it on here.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Six months at Everything Australian. But in stock at HatsDirect and David Morgan:

You will find entire threads devoted to Akubra Hats, and the Campdraft, here. They are huge favorites. Personally, I think Akubras are better made at better prices than today's Stetsons. I've owned hats from both brands for decades now.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking at the Stetson site about to purchase an Open Road or Stratoliner and see there are a few versions of each model. Pricing of the most expensive model is easy to figure out it's about the material. My question is how do the others differ and what would you spec out for any similar hat to be worn in a state where it could get wet from rain and snow.

So the Stetson quality designations, in ascending order of quality goes: Royal, Royal Deluxe, Excellent Quality/Pure Beaver. Stetson does not disclose the blends, though Stetson Japan recently listed Royal Deluxe as 70% rabbit 30% beaver. Notably this contradicts a previous post which listed it as 90/10. Not sure if this is a running change or if the Stetson Japan account just has incorrect info.

The Strats with the blocked in crease are Royal, the open crown Premier is Royal Deluxe.

The OR comes in both dress and western weight versions. Both the regular and distressed model are Royal Deluxe. The Pure hats are 100% beaver fur. There is also the 6x version, which is the western weight. I would probably choose that one if I wanted a hat for the elements.

The Akubra Campdraft is more or less the same as an OR (it was originally produced under license as an OR), though it is slightly bigger all around than the current Stetson. This may or may not work for you, depending on your preferences. While the felt on Akubra hats is famously very resilient, I personally don't prefer Akubras because I find the finish of them relatively rough, and I don't like the cheaper quality sweatbands they use which infamously shrink.

@jlee562 summed it up perfectly. I’ll add that I personally haven’t seen a modern Stetson Royal (not to be confused with the Royal DeLuxe) that has impressed me in any way.

I recently received my first modern Royal DeLuxe Open Road (OR). The felt was soft with a nice hand, but it’s thick and not very moldable. The crown is also too low for me and took some re-shaping to get it to work where the crease didn’t touch the top of my head. It’s not a bad hat, but it’s not great either, and I’m going to list it on eBay. I’d like to give the Pure OR a try, but not at anything close to retail pricing. At retail, I can have a custom 100% beaver hat made and that’s a better way to go for me.

I’ve got rid of most of my Akubra Campdrafts too. The crowns are at least 1/2 inches too low for my tastes (I like tall crowns) and the felt just doesn’t do anything for me. I will say that Akubra isn’t very consistent and some past felt has been much nicer than what I’ve seen recently; although, none of it has ever been top notch. That’s not a dig on Akubra as their price point/market placement isn’t to compete with the best hats out there.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
@jlee562 summed it up perfectly. I’ll add that I personally haven’t seen a modern Stetson Royal (not to be confused with the Royal DeLuxe) that has impressed me in any way.

I recently received my first modern Royal DeLuxe Open Road (OR). The felt was soft with a nice hand, but it’s thick and not very moldable. The crown is also too low for me and took some re-shaping to get it to work where the crease didn’t touch the top of my head. It’s not a bad hat, but it’s not great either, and I’m going to list it on eBay. I’d like to give the Pure OR a try, but not at anything close to retail pricing. At retail, I can have a custom 100% beaver hat made and that’s a better way to go for me.

I’ve got rid of most of my Akubra Campdrafts too. The crowns are at least 1/2 inches too low for my tastes (I like tall crowns) and the felt just doesn’t do anything for me. I will say that Akubra isn’t very consistent and some past felt has been much nicer than what I’ve seen recently; although, none of it has ever been top notch. That’s not a dig on Akubra as their price point/market placement isn’t to compete with the best hats out there.
Brent -

I like tall crowns, too. I have two Campdraft fedora, mainly because I have never been able to find a fedora with a taller crown. What have you found with taller crowns?

Brent -

I like tall crowns, too. I have two Campdraft fedora, mainly because I have never been able to find a fedora with a taller crown. What have you found with taller crowns?

Occasionally you’ll be able to find a vintage hat with a 5 3/4 or even six inch open crown, and 5 5/8 inch crowns are common. However, most of my taller crowns are custom hats that I’ve commissioned. There are many good hatters, and some great ones, who can make you a custom hat for close to the same price as a factory made Stetson etc.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are looking for an Open Road style hat that will take rain and snow with no issues I would go for a Akubra campdraft. I have many Akubra hats and would not hesitate on wearing any in bad weather. Stetson hats are much more fancy, finished dress hats rather than work hats. I would call them city hats. If you are not going to be exposed to a lot of elements I would not hesitate on buying one. If you want to protect it and make sure there are no issues. I would use Scotchguard or some other similar product. Give it a hit every 3-6 months and water should bead off your hat.
Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you choose.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff