Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Aero Maxwell with guesst

onstar

One of the Regulars
I have a wide build with pretty big shoulders and slim waist. Im looking to get an Aero Maxwell, but with some alterations to accommodate my shoulders. Im looking at 1) Bi-swing similar to a Northeaster/half long belt or, 2) A shoulder gusset similar to the cafe racer, or 3) a football style gusset, but i'm not sure Aero does that?

Anyone care to share their personal experince as which would work best without pics?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Between your three options, Full action back, shoulder gussets, underarm footballs, full action back works the best.

But I would not suggest tweaking the Maxwell back design.

A fourth option is to just widen the shoulders as a custom order. Aero can add an inch to the shoulder width. You will basically get one size up in the upper body while keeping the slimmer lower torso of the tag size.

Here is my Maxwell, stock size 42, FQHH. There is no aggressive taper in the torso. I find the button jackets works better this way.

Attachments

• IMG_4117.JPG
    IMG_4117.JPG
    435.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4128.JPG
    IMG_4128.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4133.JPG
    IMG_4133.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4146.JPG
    IMG_4146.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 112

onstar

One of the Regulars
Between your three options, Full action back, shoulder gussets, underarm footballs, full action back works the best.

But I would not suggest tweaking the Maxwell back design.

A fourth option is to just widen the shoulders as a custom order. Aero can add an inch to the shoulder width. You will basically get one size up in the upper body while keeping the slimmer lower torso of the tag size.

Here is my Maxwell, stock size 42, FQHH. There is no aggressive taper in the torso. I find the button jackets works better this way.
What are you measurments BTW? Weight and height also? Im 5.11 and weight 215ish

Rich22

Practically Family
I'm broad across the chest whist having a slim waist, so off the rack jackets with a sufficient pit-to-pit tend to look baggy overall. Be careful that it's actually your shoulder measurement that needs increasing, not your p2p, otherwise you might find yourself with droopy looking shoulders on your jacket...

Regarding the options, full action back works the best, but it's not the best look for every jacket. I lean towards functional shoulder gussets for appearance reasons and some mobility gain, while not seeing any real mobility advantage to shoulder gussets that connect into the seam that is directly pulled upon. That kind appear to me to be primarily cosmetic.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What are you measurments BTW? Weight and height also? Im 5.11 and weight 215ish
6', 180lbs, 41" chest, 35" waist.

Stock size 42 is 18.5" shoulder, 23" P2P, 22" hem.

I can probably wear a widen size 40 for the Japanese type of fit. But the stock 42 works for me too. I wouldn't go too trim on these button jackets.

Talk to Aero about custom sizing.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I lean towards functional shoulder gussets for appearance reasons and some mobility gain, while not seeing any real mobility advantage to shoulder gussets that connect into the seam that is directly pulled upon. That kind appear to me to be primarily cosmetic.
I always wondered about this distinction. Does anyone have some photos for comparison?

onstar

One of the Regulars
6', 180lbs, 41" chest, 35" waist.

Stock size 42 is 18.5" shoulder, 23" P2P, 22" hem.

I can probably wear a widen size 40 for the Japanese type of fit. But the stock 42 works for me too. I wouldn't go too trim on these button jackets.

Talk to Aero about custom sizing.

Why not too trim on button jackets? Any disadvantages

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner