Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About German Rationing during WWII

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey folks,

Need your help to confirm or deny something I read (or thought I read) a number of years ago.

I THINK it was on a thread in this forum, but it was so long ago, I don't remember.

In a couple of months' time, I'm going to be writing an issue of my history magazine which will be all about the home front during WWII (Britain, America, Germany, Australia, Asia, etc. As many countries/locales as I can find information on), and I wanted to include this information in it, but I'm not sure how truthful it is.

Does anybody know anything about the state of, and the history of rationing in Germany during the Second World War?

I'm trying to confirm or deny something I remember reading - which stated that Germany did not institute rationing during the early years of WWII (about 1939-1943/44), due to the belief that it wasn't necessary / because the Nazis felt it would undermine civilian confidence in the German government's ability to fight a war effectively, if they also had to undergo rationing of essentials.

Does anybody have a source on this? I seem to remember it being discussed here, but I can't for the life of me remember what the source was on this information, if it ever existed.

Any help is appreciated :)

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Not true.
Germany did institute rationing (coupons) for food and fuel on August 28, 1939.
Clothing coupons were introduced in November 1939.

What is true is that until 1942 the rations for the Reich and the Protectorate Bohemia & Moravia (the latter was doing quite well during the war economically) were quite satisfactory - to the detriment of most occupied territories of course.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Are there any good English language websites around about the German home-front or rationing in Germany? Most that I find are about the 'states or Britain.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Not that I know of... I guess you have to search around the web. Maybe there is English-language literature you could get at a library or glimpse into via Google books.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Shangas, I have a book at home on the German Homefront and it's in English. When I get home, I'll get you the name of it. It should be able to help you answer a lot of your questions.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Here's the title:

The German Homefront: 1939-1945. By Terry Charman. New York: Philosophical Library,

1989. ISBN: 0-8022-2568-3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points