Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about hat style.

Julian Hatcher

New in Town
I like hats. I wear fedoras, although I recently snagged a Stetson Open Road in Black. Sometimes I wear suits, sometimes I don't wear the jackets though. Can I legitimately wear a hat without a suit jacket? Seems wrong to me. Thanks!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you're a hat guy, be a hat guy. In today's climate, wearing anything other than a ballcap is considered a bizarre affectation by 99% of the people that you'll encounter. It takes courage to let your freak flag fly... so don't not wear the Open Road because you think anybody will consider it "odd" in terms of matching what else you're wearing.

I wear a bunch of hats with all kinds of jackets. I don't even own a suit and I never wear a tie, but my fedoras get plenty of wear with leather and nylon flight jackets, topcoats, blazers, even sweaters and button-down shirts. I'm not crazy about how a formal-ish hat looks with a T-shirt, but my Akubra country hats and panama hat go just fine.

facade

A-List Customer
I like hats. I wear fedoras, although I recently snagged a Stetson Open Road in Black. Sometimes I wear suits, sometimes I don't wear the jackets though. Can I legitimately wear a hat without a suit jacket? Seems wrong to me. Thanks!

There are precious few rules with regard to dress anymore. You can wear whatever you want. Whether you should or not is another matter.

There are plenty of pictures of men with fedoras paired with casual attire on this site. Take a look at the pictures and if that look appeals to you and you feel it will present a positive image to those around you, then go for it.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's true that you can wear a hat with just about anything, but whatever you're wearing has to be in your style. For instance, I believe I dress pretty well. but I can't wear a white Panama because it's just not my style. I'd feel like a fool. Ultimately, finding out about your own style is a way of learning about yourself.

javadave61

Practically Family
I can be quite self conscious wearing a hat, until I see someone else wearing a hat and think how good and stylish they look. Then I realize I'm far more conscious of myself than others are of me. Someone said on here once that if you can feel good in it, you'll look good in it. I think people admire people who wear hats with confidence. Ironically, hat wearing is retro, but realy, it's stepping ahead of today's conformist styles.

So whatever you wear it with, feel good about it and it will work.

A-1

One Too Many
x 14_XXX_Zeki_Min©MaxThrelfall-1063468.jpg Zeki©MaxThrelfall-1063556.jpg

Do it. I like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points