Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Loosening Up New Replacement Zipper on Leather Coat

earl

A-List Customer
So, picked up a great looking leather jacket in quality leather hide and construction in need only of a new zipper for a great price in the local Goodwill. Got it from the repairman today and he pointed out that, as a new zipper, it slides stiffly. I see online that such things as a graphite pencil or even bar soap can lubricate it. I'd think I wouldn't have to worry about graphite staining it-it's black leather anyway. But, what if anything would folks recommend to loosen it up a bit? Thanks.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
If you have the stub of a beeswax candle around, that has worked well for me. I keep an old candle end in a drawer for when zippers get sticky. I spread it on the teeth and then work the zipper up and down a few times to distribute the wax. I try to avoid over using it, since the wax can be a dirt magnet if it builds up.

I use zipper wax. It’s just a little pencil-like stick of wax. Marketing at its finest. Works though.

earl

A-List Customer
Thanks for your ideas guys. Just tried it on again and zipped up much easier than when I picked it up despite not adding any lubricant. Feel quite lucky to have picked up a quality leather jacket, (the leather guy added he thought it was quite a quality piece himself), which looks barely used for a total investment of $45, ($20 purchase of coat and $25 to add a new zipper)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto