Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Re-Blocking A Hat

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I have a Resistol 4X Beaver that has been converted from a Western style Cowboy hat to a Fedora. But my problem with the hat is that there's a noticeable taper to the crown and it's also a little too big for me. I would like to have this hat sized down to a 7 1/8 LO and have it re-blocked to get the taper out. What I really want is to have this hat re-blocked to an Indy style fedora...but with a pretty noticeable taper is it possible to have all that done? Thanks - T Jones

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Ok, not an expert here by any means. But, this seems doable to me, as reblocking can be done for both issues that you describe. As long as the felt is in good condition, there's no reason why it can't be put on a different blockshape which would remove the taper. If you're going down one size, my understanding is that this is also doable. The felt hat blanks are made to accommodate a range of of sizes; the only ones which had to be made specifically to size were ones with the Cavanagh edge. I'm not exactly sure what that range is, but as long as it's not very drastic you should be ok.

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I would imagine so. All hats are blocked to a particular shape, but they can be re-blocked to another, so long as the felt is of good quality and durable. A beaver felt should stretch and mold to a new block nicely. I would send it to a custom hatter and have it blocked. Parker Melvin of Falcon Park Hattery does great work, as well as Mike Miller of Northwest Hats. Both are very affordable. Mike re-blocked an Open Road style hat with lots of taper to a fedora with much less taper and it came out great.

Lots of blocking threads in the forum. Try doing some searches for more info. Type in some blocking tag words in Google and then "Fedora Lounge". Here's a good one: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47522-Re-blocking-a-hat.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Resistol 4X Beaver that has been converted from a Western style Cowboy hat to a Fedora. But my problem with the hat is that there's a noticeable taper to the crown and it's also a little too big for me. I would like to have this hat sized down to a 7 1/8 LO and have it re-blocked to get the taper out. What I really want is to have this hat re-blocked to an Indy style fedora...but with a pretty noticeable taper is it possible to have all that done? Thanks - T Jones

Hi down to is good, but what did it start out as? One of the hatters may be able to answer the question.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Re-Blocking Resistol

Hi down to is good, but what did it start out as? One of the hatters may be able to answer the question.
It's a Resistol Stagecoach and that's about all I know about it other than it was originally a Cowboy hat and has a 6 inch open crown. The brim has been cut down to 2 3/4.

It's a Resistol Stagecoach and that's about all I know about it other than it was originally a Cowboy hat and has a 6 inch open crown. The brim has been cut down to 2 3/4.

Re-blocking & sizing down are possible but the 2 areas of impact are the brim break & where the sweat is stitched in, which are usually the same place. That break & stitching makes for a weak area in the felt that can tear when getting worked over a block by a hatter. Sizing down means the break moves up the crown where sizing up would push the new break further out on the brim... main reasons I just mess with small stretching & shrinking & let the pro's handle this stuff...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Need some reblocking and resizing

I have about three hats that I would like to have re-sized and possibly change out the ribbons on a couple. I called Buckaroo Hatters as someone suggested. Unfortunately when he returned my call he said that he was too swamped with other orders to be able to get to me. That's certainly understandable. Can anyone suggest another hatter for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points