Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about sizing for a wool felt hat

Mark Brody

New in Town
I recently ordered a BSA campaign hat. I ordered my normal size (61, or 7 5/8), and although it's comfortable from front to back, it fits a little large in the sides. I'm unsure of whether I should exchange it for a smaller size, here's why: It's 100% wool, which I know doesn't hold its shape like fur. It's also made by Stetson, and I still don't feel Stetsons live up to the company's former reputation, having had recent Stetsons shrink in the rain. I plan to wear this hat as hard as Indy wore his, so I don't expect the brim to stay flat as my long oval head distorts the crown, and I'm okay with that. It's a Scout hat, not a drill sergeant hat. I'm not going on parade.

I'm sure the vintage hats are better quality than the current production, but as I've stated, I have a rather large noggin, which makes it difficult to find vintage hats in my size.

Am I right to expect the right amount of shrinkage to make this hat fit me better?

GP1nQl.jpg

Mpn7Oo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112