Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about spats

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay folks, here is my question: I know some were made from white or even tan canvas, but were other materials used? And if so, what? Thanks!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Not to hijack, but how does one determine the proper size? I own two vintage pairs I thought would fit my 9.5 D feet (they were marked 10) but they don't...

Edward

Bartender
Nowadays they go by shoes size, but I don't know what they did back in the day. Could it be some particular measurement (in inches) around part of the foot while wearing shoes? (I'm thinking something along the lines of how gloves are measured).

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I concur with Edward, many spats one finds here in the UK are made of some kind of wool felt in grey, tan or black, in roughly that order of commonality. I believe I have also seen a pair of fur, perhaps fox! As to measurements, I have never been able to work out what the figures which one would hope would be sizes actually relate to. I got my two pairs by working out roughly what measurement I would need around the base of the spats and what around the ankle, and just asking sellers to measure their spats as best they could...

undertaker

Practically Family
Not to hijack, but how does one determine the proper size? I own two vintage pairs I thought would fit my 9.5 D feet (they were marked 10) but they don't...

It seems to me that they are sized according to the cir. of the ankle....I have two vintage pairs, one is marked "10" and measures 10" around the ankle when fastened, the others are marked "9" and measure 9" when fastened. They are both a grey wool felt material with leather straps and were made in England.

Regards,
J.S.

Edward

Bartender
It seems to me that they are sized according to the cir. of the ankle....I have two vintage pairs, one is marked "10" and measures 10" around the ankle when fastened, the others are marked "9" and measure 9" when fastened. They are both a grey wool felt material with leather straps and were made in England.

Regards,
J.S.

That would make sense, the ankle, yes.... Like a glove measurement as I theorised above, except that I misidentified the likely location for measurement.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Yes, I forgot linen! I have a pair of off-white linen spats, I can't decide if they were made that colour or whether they have aged! The good thing about linen, I found, was that you could boil wash and starch it, which left the spats looking pristine, but also helped keep off the dirt a little.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Found a scan (not mine) from a 1937 Sears Xmas catalog. This specifies "DK Oxford gray, gray and tan" for the colors and sizes "6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Order same size as shoe". Also states you had the option of "All wool felt", or "Wool felt with leather binding". Bottom left of items, Letter N:

1937_Sears_Page003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21