Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about year of vintage Revlon

kat9375

New in Town
Hi! Newbie here, can ya tell? ;)

I'm looking for someone who knows a lot about old makeup. The nice people over at the ebay forums sent me here.

My husband's grandmother has a tube of Revlon Touch & Glow lipstick (at least, I THINK it's lipstick) that belonged to her mother. Her mother died in 1972. I think it may be from early to mid 60s.

I dont know if this is lipstick or some sort of concealer/coverup. It looks white, and I assume it's supposed to be white since the color printed on the label on the bottom of the tube is E56 Ultralite. (I've done a lot of research in my career field with the same types of pigments that go into makeup and I have never heard of a pigment that loses all of its color after 30-40 years.) I suppose that was popular back in the 60s, but I cant figure out for the life of me why a sixty-something woman would want to wear white lipstick. :p

I have attached links to two pictures of the lipstick. My question is, does anyone know what year this may have been manufactured? I searched on ebay and Google for vintage Revlon products and ads, and I saw that the font for the "Touch & Glow" changed between the 50s and 60s a couple of times. I saw the font that was used on this product on an ad from 1961 and 1967, but one for 1962 wasnt quite the same. Can anyone help?

lipstick tube
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/kat9375/sideview.jpg
bottom of tube
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/kat9375/bottom.jpg

Vanessa

One Too Many
I noticed no one has replied to this yet. Have you tried contacting Revlon directly?

J.B.

Practically Family
Say, speaking of Revlon -- I just had to pop in and share this link to this bit of a bio of one of the weirdest people ever in cosmetics history Charles Revson -- the founder of Revlon........:icon_smil

Charles Revson said:
"In terms of marketing, you've got to have the will to win. You've got to see the blood running down the street. You've got to be able to take it. You've got to be able to shove it. If you're not, you're nobody. You never will be. You think you are? Fine. Love it. Go on-have happiness, have love, have this, have everything. But as far as marketing is concerned [which is what really counts] -- nyenta. Nothing."

Oof. Cold. :D

J.B.

Practically Family
ITG said:
J.B., when I read that quote, it made me think of Donald Trump and Simon Cowell.

Yup. And I think we could add Elvis' manager Colonel Tom Parker to the list, but either Revson or Trump gets top prize?! :arated:

kat9375

New in Town
CherryBombRock said:
Looks to me a bit like a highlighter, ie to be used on cheekbones and brow maybe? Is it opaque or sheer? Maybe just a lip-balm?
Good luck!
It's pretty well opaque, so I would say closer to a highlighter than a lip balm. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk