QUESTION: Akubra Federation IV Deluxe - sun exposure??

Discussion in 'Hats' started by fedoraguy68, Mar 12, 2016.

1. fedoraguy68

fedoraguy68 New in Town

Hi all - just signed up to this amazing forum!

I recently purchased a Fed. IV Deluxe by Akubra - beautiful piece. I am leaving next Tuesday to spend 2 solid weeks in Cancun, Mexico. My concern: will this hat tolerate the extreme sun and heat from the Mexican sun? Having just purchased it I don't want it faded or shrunken on this vacation. Last year I took a "similar" (non-Akubra) rabbit felt "Indy Hat" to Mexico and it came back with a green tint to it... like, REALLY green!

So - any thought or suggestions on this topic? Any experienced Federation owners ever come across a "hot sun" issue? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

PS - I contacted Akubra / Hat's Direct and they assured me the sun "shouldn't" damage the hat in only two weeks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

What Hats Direct told you is correct.

Akubras are tough hats, built for the outback. That having been said, no hat is immune to fading from sun exposure. Older hats will many times have darker felt under the ribbon. That having been said, any significant color change in two weeks time is abnormal, I'd suspect.

fedoraguy68 likes this.
  3. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's beginning to get warm again in the southern parts, so I'd suggest you simply take advantage of Cancun and go out and get yourself a nice straw. There are a lot of tourist places, but if you ask the concierge at your hotel, or anyone else, I'm sure they'll steer you in the right direction. I've always found Mexicans to be extremely hospitable people. I understand why you want to bring the Akubra (I've got three), but it would be like wearing a Mackinaw in Miami.

fedoraguy68 likes this.
  4. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

my advice is don't bring a FedIV to Mexico ... not because it may fade in the sun... which I don't think it noticeably will... but I think it will be far too heavy for weather you will experience.
    we lose most of our body heat through our our heads and the Fed will trap it causing unnecessary perspiration.
    you may end up fanning yourself with it more than wearing it

get yourself a nice Panama if you don't have one and enjoy many margaritas

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    fedoraguy68 likes this.
  5. javadave61

javadave61 Practically Family

It will hold up far better than you will. :) It will be a very warm lid. It will hold it lots of heat. I second the straw suggestions.

By the way, what color is the Fed IV? I'm guessing, the darker it is, the hotter it will be.

fedoraguy68 likes this.
  6. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Up here in the NW, land of grey and rain I have lots of opportunity to wear a fedora so I use any excuse to wear my straws. Take this opportunity and follow the advice above.....get a straw and enjoy!

fedoraguy68 likes this.
  7. RJR

RJR

Agree,straws are perfect for the Yucatan.

fedoraguy68 likes this.
  8. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I'm sure the sun/heat/humidity wouldn't do a thing to it. Without getting into panama straw or shantung roll-ups and if you only had to take ONE hat I wouldn't take a particularly finely woven or delicate panama but something a little sturdier like a coarser hardy hemp straw.

fedoraguy68 likes this.
  9. fedoraguy68

fedoraguy68 New in Town

Thanks all! Appreciated... !

Bob Roberts likes this.
  10. Fed in a Fedora

Fed in a Fedora Practically Family

I just returned from Chichen Itza, Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel a couple of days ago. I wore my gray Moonstone CampDraft for much of the trip. I would not think that any amount of sun would turn an Akubra's color, but suntan lotion is everywhere.

The hats do stand out in a crowd, but then that was part of the point for me.

Bon voyage!

11. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

I think you'll have to be more concerned about sweat stains than sun fading.

javadave61, Edward and Frunobulax like this.
  12. RJR

RJR

Agree.