Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Chicago-ites

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm heading to your good city next month. Can anyone recommend the best - ie cheapest - outlets for Red Wing boots? :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
@BK No, this is my first time to Chicago. I'd certainly be interested in doing some vintage shopping while I'm there - I've got five days and I'll be based at the Radisson Blu, which I'm told is pretty central, so plenty of time to burn.

@Boyo: I'm working on that just now. I tried to explain to the PRs who are organising the trip the significance of Horween, and I think the only thing they took away from it was 'He's into leather...' :eeek::D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Chicago will never be the same!

AUGUST 14, 2013

Night And Day Vintage, after 15 years in the heart of Antique Row as Chicago’s premier retailer of 20th Century fashion and furnishings Is CLOSED.
http://www.nightanddayvintage.com/

I guess antique row's still there though. Far out north on the brown line, I think.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Darn, I'd read about that as well - I'm carrying my Fromer's guide around with me just pencilling in stuff to do - but I'm sure we'll get out to its further reaches. Have you been there in late November, BK? How cold does it get?

Schtum

New in Town
Ask Plumbline - I believe he knows Chicago well and since he is by his own admission "very tight", I'm sure he'll point you in the direction of good value for money....
augie.gif

winterland1

Practically Family
I don't know specifically any place to get Red Wings there. Take a look at their website and you can search for stores that carry the Heritage line.
Chicago can feel very cold. Right next to Lake Michigan, so if there is a breeze it feels cold. Bring your winter gear, leather of course, with layers, hat, gloves. Check weather.com for the week you will be going. The midwest has cooled recently but can change quickly and warm up. End of November though can bring full on winter, lots of snow and cold to warmer a little above freezing temps.
The nice thing is you can get around on the train cheap.
Too bad you can't go a little further and hit the Red Wing outlet store right where they are made in Red Wing MN. I have been trying to get there myself. I only live an hour away so no excuse. I'm tight too.

Here did a search for you. Wow lots of stores.
http://www.redwingheritage.com/locator#&l=chicago, IL

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Blimey, you're right. This may not be the chore I anticipated. While I'm here, any other recommendations on classic clothing shops I should keep an eye out for?

I'm sure the vintage scene'll be much bigger than when I was last there in 2007. It was pretty limited then, mostly to the street that held the recently defunct Night & Day, and some bits and pieces further out from the centre. A google maps search for vintage clothing chicago reveals many more hits than it did back then.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Let's start with the obvious - it will be cold. Possibly very cold. Also, another thing to consider in "late November" is Thanksgiving, which is the 28th of November. Very little will be open on that day if you end up in town. I am not a vintage buyer so I can't offer personal experience on that subject but I understand that Chicago is not a "vintage town" (compared to LA or NY for instance) but send me a PM with your email and I'll share some "must-do" things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21