Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for the tailors: Where to get worsted twill yardage?

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Tough twills made of worsted, such as whipcord and serge, have been square on my radar for a couple of years now but, finding yardage of it available to people in the USA has been a challenge. Well, the only example I've come up with is an 11oz dark green whipcord from Johnson Woolen Mills. It's expensive and, just the one color. I can also get green 18oz serge from At The Front military reenactment shop, although that's really heavier than I'd prefer. Variety helps a lot so I'd like to have at least two different colors, so that I can make pants and jacket that don't equal a suit when worn together.

brendanm720

One of the Regulars
Most good-quality fabrics are expensive. You can find them from Mills in England and Italy.

There is a thread around here somewhere about vintage fabrics and where to find modern-day stand-ins. It is either in this forum or in the suits forum. You may find some good info there.

IIRC, there may be some info in the vintage tailoring thread as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana