Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question - Long shot - "Ghost Riders" 1940s radio program

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
This is a long shot - question:

Mom tells me of a favorite memory of around the 1945-1947 time period, all the neighborhood kids would converge at twilight at 8pm to one kid's house whose parents would pull the floor model radio onto the porch & play a radio program (weekly? Nightly?) featuring as its theme song, Vaughan Monroe's "(Ghost) Riders In the Sky". She remembers the song more than the program (very young), but thinks it was a western, though possibly a thriller, or maybe between the two.

It may have been a local DJ's choice in the Virginia Beach, VA area to use that tune as a lead-in to the show, which I suspect... but in case...

anyone know of any 40s radio shows with that song as the lead-in?

I've always wanted to find it. Of course have the 78 (as well as actually a promo copy of the Victor 78 with Monroe telling "the story behind Ghost Riders", a cowboy legend, in an interview on the flip side, with plain white label, for DJ's).

Google only finds a later 1990's or so "Ghost Riders" program that masks any other possible relavent info.

Thanks,
- CH

Sunny

One Too Many
Ooh... one of the shows I've got has "Ghost Riders in the Sky," but I think it's the studio orchestra playing during the show. I believe that show was a comedy, maybe Abbott and Costello or Jack Benny.

I'll look around, though, and maybe I'll stumble across something. If it is the theme, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Do you know if it was specifically for children? Was it a serial?

Oh, and if no one finds it in a couple days, *bump* this thread to remind me in case I forget. ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tony in Tarzana said:
I can't help you, but that song, particularly Vaughn Monroe's version, makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. A great voice and a great piece of music.

..."then cowboy change your ways today or with us you will ride; a'tryin' to catch the Devil's heard.... across these endless skies...."

*shiver* GREAT STUFF!

Vaughn Monroe is a favorite of mine. Dance Ballerina is also superb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana