Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on US Service Magazines of WW2

Chas

One Too Many
I know the US Army read "Yank" and "Stars And Stripes", but what did the USN read?

I'm working on a modification for Silent Hunter IV- looking to cull together authentic USN magazine pinups and images.

EDIT: OK, I found "All Hands", but it looks like it was first published in 1944. Any other assistance greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Navy Publications

Hi Chas,

See http://www.navy.mil/allhands.asp which says "All Hands" was first published in 1922.

Not a "pin-up" magazine, but the United States Naval Institute Press had published "Proceedings" for over a century. www.usni.org .

Also, in books like "Battleship Arizona", by Paul Stillwell, capital ships like the U.S.S. Arizona published their own newsletters and papers.

Hope this helps!

John

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
SSuperDave: What months do you have? My parents met while serving on the staff of Leatherneck. I have bound volumes from 1944 and 45 of both the Stateside edition, and the Pacific edition (lighter weight paper). My dad did layout (he actually used an Exacto knife and rubber cement when he did "cut and paste") and my mom edited the letters to the editor column, aka "Sound Off". Leatherneck was considered the best magazine published in the country during WW II. If you have the December edition, there's a little blurb about my dad at the very bottom of the last page.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Late in the war the USAAF had AIR FORCE. A techinical/informational magazine. Kind of like around the world in the USAAF. New planes new tech info. Maintenance trends etc. no pinups but still cool reading. The USAF still has the magazine or did in 05.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points