Question on US Service Magazines of WW2

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Chas, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Chas

Chas One Too Many

I know the US Army read "Yank" and "Stars And Stripes", but what did the USN read?

I'm working on a modification for Silent Hunter IV- looking to cull together authentic USN magazine pinups and images.

EDIT: OK, I found "All Hands", but it looks like it was first published in 1944. Any other assistance greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. B-24J

B-24J One of the Regulars

Navy Publications

Hi Chas,

See http://www.navy.mil/allhands.asp which says "All Hands" was first published in 1922.

Not a "pin-up" magazine, but the United States Naval Institute Press had published "Proceedings" for over a century. www.usni.org .

Also, in books like "Battleship Arizona", by Paul Stillwell, capital ships like the U.S.S. Arizona published their own newsletters and papers.

Hope this helps!

John

3. SSuperDave

SSuperDave New in Town

Don't know about the Navy, but the Gyrenes read Leatherneck magazine, I have a couple from '45 in my uncles old footlocker.

4. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

SSuperDave: What months do you have? My parents met while serving on the staff of Leatherneck. I have bound volumes from 1944 and 45 of both the Stateside edition, and the Pacific edition (lighter weight paper). My dad did layout (he actually used an Exacto knife and rubber cement when he did "cut and paste") and my mom edited the letters to the editor column, aka "Sound Off". Leatherneck was considered the best magazine published in the country during WW II. If you have the December edition, there's a little blurb about my dad at the very bottom of the last page.

5. Chas

Chas One Too Many

Well, yes, "All Hands" is pretty dry- not a Servicemen's mag so much as a newsletter-type pub. Thanks for all your help.

6. Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer Practically Family

Late in the war the USAAF had AIR FORCE. A techinical/informational magazine. Kind of like around the world in the USAAF. New planes new tech info. Maintenance trends etc. no pinups but still cool reading. The USAF still has the magazine or did in 05.