Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question re hat colors

Mycroft said:
Maybe the hat makers could sponser the book, as a group. For example, each company could have a chapter, if they sponsered it. Maybe?

Hmm....I don't think they would be too happy to do that considering what I think of their modern products. :p A man has to be honest and honestly they stink. The new Knox would make Mr. Knox have a heart attack. He didn't care what it took to make a good hat.
His idea was to choose a price for the hat and then use the best materials that price would allow him to in the production of a hat. He was really quite an enlightened individual as well. He treated his workers with respect and brought them ice cream when it was hot. This is in the day when ice cream didn't grow on trees---it was expensive.
I guess I could say good things about the founders of these hat companies but not much about the current company heads who really do not have a love for hats. Geez, Stetson was using junk bodies with moth holes in them to make finished hats in the late seventies/early eighties when their financial fortunes were not good. John B. would want to strangle his managers for doing this. The new Stetsons are a former shadow of themselves. They shrink, the color runs and fades, the bodies are lousy and the finishing :kick: well, PU!
Could the industry have lost so many good hatters and so much talent in the last 50 years? The big name brands from the Golden Era are either defunct or now all under the umbrella of HatCo---it should be called Junko. :p
Well, now I am sure that I will get no backing from Junko---err I mean Hatco. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Mycroft

One Too Many
I agree with you, I wish the hat industry was like it was before, it is very said to me, that Hatmaking is becoming a lost art on a large scale, similar to piano tuning. :cry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff