Question Regarding Shirt colors. . .

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Flitcraft, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Flitcraft

Flitcraft One Too Many

Just finished watching Saboteur and White Heat and have a question regarding wearing black dress shirts:
    Was that a common look, outside of Hollywood and the Silver Screen, that is?
    In Saboteur, Robert Cummings looked like he was wearing a dark brown shirt with a repp striped tie. In White Heat, James Cagney looked like he was wearing a black shirt with gray trousers.

I'd love to emulate Cagney's look, but I don't want to be mistaken for a Godfather or Sopranos wannabe.

I tried searching the archived posts here on The Lounge, but I didn't really find any references to black shirts as a common option for the typical Golden Era gent.

Thanks, and a tip of the hat, in advance for your assistance.

2. Vladimir Berkov

Vladimir Berkov One Too Many

From all the period photos I have seen, black shirts are definately not common. In fact, I can't ever remember seeing one being worn by an "ordinary person." Dark-colored shirts, however seem to have been relatively common.

3. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

...pretty hard to tell black from dark in B&W photography.

B
    T

4. Vladimir Berkov

Vladimir Berkov One Too Many

The dark shirts I have seen are in illustrations. I seem to recall a dark green one in particular.

5. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

I've wondered this myself. I remember Richard Widmark having what looked like a black shirt in "Kiss of Death". Lon Chaney, Jr and Bud Abbott have on dark shirts in "A. & C. Meet Frankenstein".
    Of Course, as Belly Tank points out, The shirts could have red or something else that photographs black.

Your devoted servant,
    The Wolf

6. Dr. Shocker

Dr. Shocker One of the Regulars

Since Black is my color of choice I wear black shirts often.....a dark shirt with white, grey or even red suspenders with a matching tie has a smart look...though may not be 100% vintage in look but smart none the less....at least in my opinion....I have even done grey coat with a light tie....but hey I am a bit off...hehehehehe

Been busy at work thats why I havn't been on much for those wondering

7. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

May not be my style, though it works for you. Be true to yourself and wear what you like. If it really looks bad I'll tell you.

I need more black in my wardrobe.